Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He was picked off 3 times, including a pick 6, in that game against Carolina before he got hurt. That is an NFC playoff team and he looked terrible. And he didn't look great in that Miami game either. Also consider that he would have had another long layoff before the playoffs and would have played in a total 4 regular season games.

Doesn't matter because playoffs are not happening, but even if they did Romo would not be in a good position to lead his team to victory with so little practice/game time this season.
I'll say this though: we've now been terrible on thanksgiving 3 out of the past 4 years. I'm getting the feeling that this coaching staff sucks on a short week.

I don't think the team's or Romo's performance against Carolina on thanksgiving says much about their ability to compete with them if they were to meet in the playoffs, just like it didn't mean anything when the eagles slaughtered us last thanksgiving.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think he has a serious problem with getting his back ready, especially with short weeks, at this point in his career.

His performance vs Carolina reminded me of the 2014 SF and home Philly games.

Maybe he hit some kind of Peyton Manning wall this season-- hard to tell.
I think it was the short week coupled with his collarbone not being fully healed. Honestly all Thursday games suck. I don't mind them so much on Thanksgiving because of the tradition but the teams are never fully rested or prepared. Thursday night football is obviously worse than the normal product. Unless it is Dallas or another big I rarely end up watching it

dallen

Senior Tech
Pretty cool article/timeline of Jason Witten's career. Lots of gifs so didn't even try to format it here.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/content/witten-1000?campaign=sf16728453+sf16728453
It is weird to say, but I still don't think Witten gets enough credit in the wider NFL. I think he is clearly the #1 TE of his generation. He isn't quite the pass catcher that guys like Gonzalez and Gates were, but they weren't even in the vicinity of him when it comes to blocking. He doesn't have the flashy big plays of a guy like Gronk, but Witten is methodical. He gets open running the same route against the same defender over and over again all game long. And they can't stop him, not because of any great physical skills, but because he runs his routes so perfectly precise. He could have way more than 1000 catches by now if he hadn't spent a big portion of his career staying in to help out terrible olines. And none of these guys are more durable or tougher than he is. One missed game for a broken jaw. Starting in the season opener 3 weeks after rupturing his spleen.

Off the field, everyone wants to talk about Hardy. No one mentions that Jason Witten has run a charity since 2010 that helps stop domestic violence. He runs a free football camp in Tennessee for over a 1000 kids every year. It might not have much bearing on best TE, but everything else being equal give me the guy who is a good person too.

And to finish off my hostile hagiography of Mr. Witten let me mention that he named his daughter Landry. Game. Set. Match.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It is weird to say, but I still don't think Witten gets enough credit in the wider NFL. I think he is clearly the #1 TE of his generation. He isn't quite the pass catcher that guys like Gonzalez and Gates were, but they weren't even in the vicinity of him when it comes to blocking. He doesn't have the flashy big plays of a guy like Gronk, but Witten is methodical. He gets open running the same route against the same defender over and over again all game long. And they can't stop him, not because of any great physical skills, but because he runs his routes so perfectly precise. He could have way more than 1000 catches by now if he hadn't spent a big portion of his career staying in to help out terrible olines. And none of these guys are more durable or tougher than he is. One missed game for a broken jaw. Starting in the season opener 3 weeks after rupturing his spleen.

Off the field, everyone wants to talk about Hardy. No one mentions that Jason Witten has run a charity since 2010 that helps stop domestic violence. He runs a free football camp in Tennessee for over a 1000 kids every year. It might not have much bearing on best TE, but everything else being equal give me the guy who is a good person too.

And to finish off my hostile hagiography of Mr. Witten let me mention that he named his daughter Landry. Game. Set. Match.
I don't agree, yes Witten is a better blocker but he has never dominated games like Gonzalez and Gates.

Yes he was very consistent but those guys actually put points on the board consistently.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jason Witten has never been the #1 weapon for an offense like Gonzalez, Gates, Gronkowski, etc.. But to say he's NEVER dominated games or put points on the board consistently is patently retarded.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Witten has never been the #1 weapon for an offense like Gonzalez, Gates, Gronkowski, etc.. But to say he's NEVER dominated games or put points on the board consistently is patently retarded.
Well, we are talking about Jiggy here, so...

Carp

DCC 4Life
TD catches are very important, but Witten caught passes countless times for first downs that allowed the team to stay on the field and score. I mean teams knew we were going to him...even with TO and Dez...and he still got open and made clutch catches. Gonzalez is certainly the best of alltime, but Witten and Gates have been playing for the same amount of years and Witten has over 100 more catches than Gates. Gates does have more TDs, but I think Witten has played with a stronger group of skill players than Gates did.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I said he never dominated games like those 2 or scored like those 2.

But hey actually you need something to call me retarded again.

Witten has never had a 10 TD season and has averaged 4.5 TD a years while being the number one option most of carrer.

Gates has had 4 double-digit scoring seasons and has averaged over 7 TD's a year.

Gonzalez has 3 double-digit scoring seasons and averaged 6.5 TD's a year.

Yes he was a better blocker than either but he even then he had some real off years doing that.

Witten is a great TE I just don't think his blocking puts him over the other 2 as impacting a game.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I said he never dominated games like those 2 or scored like those 2.

But hey actually you need something to call me retarded again.

Witten has never had a 10 TD season and has averaged 4.5 TD a years while being the number one option most of carrer.

Gates has had 4 double-digit scoring seasons and has averaged over 7 TD's a year.

Gonzalez has 3 double-digit scoring seasons and averaged 6.5 TD's a year.

Yes he was a better blocker than either but he even then he had some real off years doing that.

Witten is a great TE I just don't think his blocking puts him over the other 2 as impacting a game.
Witten has not been the number one option for most of his career. Since 2003 he has only led the team in receptions 1 time.

Johnson, Austin, Glenn, Owens, and Dez were ahead of him in order of options.

Jiggyfly

Banned
TD catches are very important, but Witten caught passes countless times for first downs that allowed the team to stay on the field and score. I mean teams knew we were going to him...even with TO and Dez...and he still got open and made clutch catches. Gonzalez is certainly the best of alltime, but Witten and Gates have been playing for the same amount of years and Witten has over 100 more catches than Gates. Gates does have more TDs, but I think Witten has played with a stronger group of skill players than Gates did.
Gates has almost double the number of TD's of Witten and has played 17 fewer games.

Gates has a higher YPC average.

Witten has been hands down the number 1 target of Romo even when TO was here,outside of TO and Dez who else has been a great skill guy?

I have to think the skill players both have had around them has to be pretty equal.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Gates has almost double the number of TD's of Witten and has played 17 fewer games.

Gates has a higher YPC average.

Witten has been hands down the number 1 target of Romo even when TO was here,outside of TO and Dez who else has been a great skill guy?

I have to think the skill players both have had around them has to be pretty equal.
If he was the number one target the entire time Romo was here, then he would have led the team in catches more than one year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If he was the number one target the entire time Romo was here, then he would have led the team in catches more than one year.
He did lead the team in catches more than 1 year, he did it 4 times.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I stand corrected, he did lead the team 3 years...still though...I think Gonzalez and Gates benefited by not being surrounded by the same kind of skill position players that Witten was.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I think Jiggy is just a liberal racist who doesn't want to give a white athlete like Witten credit. :unsure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom