Jerry Jones: I’ve tried to get cute at the quarterback spot

townsend

Banned
Quincy Carter and Stephen McGee on the only QB's we've drafted in the last 20 years.
Both coached up by Wilson too. Thank God we had a few good years without him, otherwise the QB position would have been like 2015 for the past 10 years.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
HOw is it the pPackers drafted a QB every few years regardless who the QB was and it never hurt them because they traded them away for value later and Jerry can't figure that crap out?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
HOw is it the pPackers drafted a QB every few years regardless who the QB was and it never hurt them because they traded them away for value later and Jerry can't figure that crap out?
Because he tries to be cute. :art

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I believe this is an exaggeration that never really happens.

Ron Wolf traded for Brett Favre and did draft Mark Brunell back in the mid 1990's. But to say they draft some secret stud every few years isn't true at all. Holmgren had success with some WCO QB's in late 1990's Seattle, but teams have learned how to defend that offense now.

GB drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round in 2005 because he was a top talent who was plummeting and they saw a chance to replace an aging and interception throwing Brett Favre.

I guarantee no one in that organization expected Favre to play four full seasons when they made that pick.

The Patriots have been drafting 3rd and 2nd round QB's lately, but they are an exception, not the rule. No one knows if Garoppolo can even play, and he's burning 2nd round talent on the bench.

Bottom line is most teams draft a QB when they finally must, and that approach makes a lot of sense.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I believe this is an exaggeration that never really happens.

Ron Wolf traded for Brett Favre and did draft Mark Brunell back in the mid 1990's. But to say they draft some secret stud every few years isn't true at all. Holmgren had success with some WCO QB's in late 1990's Seattle, but teams have learned how to defend that offense now.

GB drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round in 2005 because he was a top talent who was plummeting and they saw a chance to replace an aging and interception throwing Brett Favre.

I guarantee no one in that organization expected Favre to play four full seasons when they made that pick.

The Patriots have been drafting 3rd and 2nd round QB's lately, but they are an exception, not the rule. No one knows if Garoppolo can even play, and he's burning 2nd round talent on the bench.

Bottom line is most teams draft a QB when they finally must, and that approach makes a lot of sense.
Ron Wolf also drafted Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks while he was GM in Green Bay. He felt that teams should draft QBs regularly to either groom them or use them as trade bait down the road.

data

Forbes #1
Regardless if you believe in Ron Wolf's strategy, compare our 2nd round TE history to QB.

WTF.

An average backup QB would've won us more games in the last 5 years than a Pro Bowl second TE.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ron Wolf also drafted Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks while he was GM in Green Bay. He felt that teams should draft QBs regularly to either groom them or use them as trade bait down the road.
It only worked because GB taught that WCO system that so many teams were running back then. Like SF before them they were an incubator.

That system allowed guys like Steve Bono or Jon Kitna to become effective NFL passers.

The landscape has changed now.

No one teaches it anymore because NFL defenses evolved well past it.

The days of a 4th round backup moving on to become someone else's starter are over.

Even the NFL's most knowledgeable team's former 3rd round pick couldn't start effectively in Tennessee.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"We'll look at certainly where we are at our backup quarterback position, which probably if I could redo some of the thinking there this year, that would be the first place I'd start looking in my mirror," Jerry Jones said.
Ah shit. This corpse of a season isn't even cold yet and he's already whipping out the "man in the mirror" schtick.

This is going to be the longest postseason in a very very long time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Tennessee would love to have Russell Wilson
He started day one with the Seahawks organization fully behind him.

You don't incubate some backup anymore. If they have half a clue, give them the keys ASAP.

A 4th rounder or later on the active roster... no way. Watching a high pick sit for years... uh uh. A 2nd rounder incubating one year during the veteran's last gasp... maybe.

data

Forbes #1
He started day one with the Seahawks organization fully behind him.
No, he didn't. Matt Flynn started day one with the organization's support. Russell Wilson had to earn his starting spot the old fashioned way.

In any case, you said '3rd rounder' and I just responded matter-of-factly. Go on with your bad self.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'll be shocked if we draft a QB in the first in the next draft. There is something to be said about wanting a first rounder to make an immediate contribution. But QB is one area where having a rookie start from day one isn't a necessity. Now is the perfect time to find our future long term starting QB, but that would require a FO with wisdom and foresight which is something we haven't had for nearly 20 years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'll be shocked if we draft a QB in the first in the next draft. There is something to be said about wanting a first rounder to make an immediate contribution. But QB is one area where having a rookie start from day one isn't a necessity. Now is the perfect time to find our future long term starting QB, but that would require a FO with wisdom and foresight which is something we haven't had for nearly 20 years.
Pretty convinced we don't do it in the first.

Especially with a pick in the top 10.

I am sure we can figure out what CB is the next Deion instead.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

We would be in the perfect situation to draft a QB. Great veteran to teach him, a talented offensive roster to surround him and no need to force him on the field.

But you are right. Instead we will use the mantra that we need to put the best team around Romo. That means instead of taking a QB we will take someone who can contribute immediately in the hopes of winning with Romo one last time. Of course then Romo will proceed to break his collarbone again and retire. But probably not before he wins enough games to push us out of the range of a top QB and the whole team is set back a couple more years.

Welcome to the Matt Stafford's of the world instead of drafting and developing someone.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We would be in the perfect situation to draft a QB. Great veteran to teach him, a talented offensive roster to surround him and no need to force him on the field.

But you are right. Instead we will use the mantra that we need to put the best team around Romo. That means instead of taking a QB we will take someone who can contribute immediately in the hopes of winning with Romo one last time. Of course then Romo will proceed to break his collarbone again and retire. But probably not before he wins enough games to push us out of the range of a top QB and the whole team is set back a couple more years.

Welcome to the Matt Stafford's of the world instead of drafting and developing someone.
Stafford? Feh.

Manziel sooner or later is the way we go. If not him, then Griffin.

townsend

Banned
Stafford? Feh.

At this point Johnny's value has dropped enough to make him worth a look. If he's willing to become one of Jerry's kids and get a handler, I'd take a flyer on his dumb ass.

Giants got to the Super Bowl with an alcoholic that lived out of his car.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stafford? Feh.

Jerry would try Manziel but I think it will be more in a Weeden type capacity. I'm talking about after Romo retires. At that point I bet we go after a veteran who has proven he can't succeed somewhere else.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

We're in the top 5 which is a perfect place to draft a potential franchise QB and an opportunity you don't get often. But on the other hand, with Garrett being a career .500 coach and saddled with an aging Romo, I think in the next two years we'll likely have another shot of at least being in the top 10.

data

Forbes #1
We're in the top 5 which is a perfect place to draft a potential franchise QB and an opportunity you don't get often. But on the other hand, with Garrett being a career .500 coach and saddled with an aging Romo, I think in the next two years we'll likely have another shot of at least being in the top 10.
Flat out, QB is the most important position on the team. Maybe controversial, but I'd rather have a Top 7-10 QB than the defensive MVP...like a Tony Romo vs JJ Watt.

Screw BPA when it comes to QB (to a certain extent), I'm willing to go with a lower-rated QB than the top-rated non-QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A top 10 pick doesn't really get you an elite QB prospect necessarily. Just moving up from 5 into the top 2 picks in the draft can cost a fortune. That's why if we are in the top 3 picks of this draft, I want a QB.

Top Bottom