Time for Tony Romo's successor? The top 5 quarterbacks in next year's draft

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Goff does seem to have pretty good touch, especially on the long balls. His feet move quite a bit though and I'm no expert if that is goo or bad.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree with your overall premise but what if Tunsil turns out to be a much higher rated prospect than any of the QB's, do you gamble just because?

RT is a position of need and it solidifies your o-line for the next 3 years before you have to pay big money.

As for Ramsey could he be a great safety because the more I read most think that is his best position.

Even you are saying take a shot at these QB's which makes me think you don't think either is sure bet, I am just leery of gambling on a QB when you have a chance to significantly upgrade a position of need.

I am not advocating taking a Tunsil or Ramsey but I think it's logical to take a hard look at both if Ramsey can play safety at a high level.
I don't think that either of them are sure bets, but I didn't think Winston or Mariota were either. They were both more proven than these two but on the flip side I also see traits in these two that I didn't see in them.

In terms of Tunsil, I really cannot see spending a top 5 pick on a RT, especially when we just spent a 3rd on our supposed future RT. I understand the idea that he will be cheap on his rookie deal, but I really can't justify spending a 4th 1st on the OL when you look at what we've invested in that group. I would honestly rather just take a shot on a QB, within reason of course. I wouldn't take a 2nd round prospect or anything but let's say you have Tunsil rated 3rd overall and Goff 6th, I'd rather just take the chance on the QB.

As for Ramsey, he is an impressive physical specimen but I really, really really do not want to spend a top 5 pick on a DB who has shown little evidence of being a ball-hawk with only 3 career INT's, none this season mind you.

I agree with what you're saying about not getting tunnel-vision on a QB, that's why I've mentioned Bosa, but I just don't see any elite position prospects like a Marcell Dareus, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Gerald McCoy, Von Miller, Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack, etc. If there was a guy like that here, and I think the only one who could be that level of a prospect is Bosa, then I'd be fine taking them.

dallen

Senior Tech
Goff does seem to have pretty good touch, especially on the long balls. His feet move quite a bit though and I'm no expert if that is goo or bad.

His balance seems weird to me. Like he's throwing off his back foot and not following through. Hard to argue with the results though

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't think that either of them are sure bets, but I didn't think Winston or Mariota were either. They were both more proven than these two but on the flip side I also see traits in these two that I didn't see in them.

In terms of Tunsil, I really cannot see spending a top 5 pick on a RT, especially when we just spent a 3rd on our supposed future RT. I understand the idea that he will be cheap on his rookie deal, but I really can't justify spending a 4th 1st on the OL when you look at what we've invested in that group. I would honestly rather just take a shot on a QB, within reason of course. I wouldn't take a 2nd round prospect or anything but let's say you have Tunsil rated 3rd overall and Goff 6th, I'd rather just take the chance on the QB.

As for Ramsey, he is an impressive physical specimen but I really, really really do not want to spend a top 5 pick on a DB who has shown little evidence of being a ball-hawk with only 3 career INT's, none this season mind you.

I agree with what you're saying about not getting tunnel-vision on a QB, that's why I've mentioned Bosa, but I just don't see any elite position prospects like a Marcell Dareus, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Gerald McCoy, Von Miller, Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack, etc. If there was a guy like that here, and I think the only one who could be that level of a prospect is Bosa, then I'd be fine taking them.
We are thinking along the same lines but if these guys were Winston or Marieta I would have no issues.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out going into the draft, it sucks that this is such a mediocre draft class.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' QB debate will be a fascinating watch in offseason

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Jason Garrett believes Tony Romo has a lot of football left in him. Jerry Jones can see Romo as the Dallas Cowboys' quarterback for another 4-5 years while acknowledging the need to find a better backup and possible successor.

There will be plenty of time to dissect whom the Cowboys should draft once all of the college players declare their intentions. Before that the Cowboys will have to debate their course of action, according to executive vice president Stephen Jones.

“I think Jerry and I will put our heads together with Jason and (senior director college/pro personnel Will McClay) and what we did this year didn’t work,” Jones said. “There’s no denying that. When something doesn’t work and bites you in the butt like it did, we’ve got to re-look at everything. I think that will be one of the big, big discussions of ours in the offseason, what our strategy is there.”

The Cowboys have drafted two quarterbacks since 1991, and none since taking Stephen McGee in the fourth round in 2009. McGee did not make it through his rookie contract.

Drafting a quarterback high is not always the answer either. For all the successes of Andrew Luck, Cam Newton and apparent successes of Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles, there are the failures of E.J. Manuel, Brandon Weeden, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder.

There is also the question of playing a quarterback right away or letting him sit to develop.

“I think that’s to be debated,” Jones said. “Obviously there’s some guys who don’t play, like Denver’s guy, (Brock) Osweiler, coming in here for two games and he’s played pretty good, won two games. You say, ‘Well did he develop?’ The offseasons and seeing it and watching from the sidelines, there’s a lot of people who believe that’s good for players. Obviously Aaron Rodgers sat behind Brett Favre for a long time. Tony watched for years before he got thrown in.

“There’s a school of thought that that can be a good thing.”

But other quarterbacks, like Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Bridgewater and Bortles played right away and seem to have benefited.

“We’ve got to re-look at everything and we will,” Jones said.

Romo turns 36 in April and is signed through 2019. He is recovering from his second broken left collarbone this season.

If the Cowboys have a top 5-10 pick in next spring’s draft, do they go after a quarterback? Currently 23 starting quarterbacks were former first- or second-round picks although not necessarily with the team that drafted them.

Or would the Cowboys look at another position to help maximize Romo’s final years?

“That’s always at the end of the day what tears at you,” Jones said. “If we end up picking high then you have to debate it and if there’s a guy there that we like, would you take him knowing that we’ve got an older quarterback, who has been hurt? So that’s a valuable piece versus getting some big-time pass rusher, big-time running back, big-time receiver. If you’re picking high, those guys are sitting there.”

The Cowboys don’t need the answer today, but how they get their answer will be fascinating to watch.

This statement infuriates the fuck out of me. Mainly because we have seen him say this a thousand times, yet still nothing ever changes.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, Jones is a dunce but some of those comments make me more optimistic that we will give very serious consideration to taking a QB, especially that last part where he acknowledges that taking a young QB that high would be valuable when considering Romo's age and injury history.

There also aren't any big time pass-rushers, outside of probably Bosa, RB's or WR's, I doubt we take another OL in the 1st considering the investment that we've made, so that really just leaves the big worry that we fall in love with Ramsey's measureables.

And while things haven't changed enough around the team, I feel like they have definitely changed. Drafting Martin over Manziel and letting Murray walk (correctly) are things that never would've happened 10-15 years ago. The organization isn't perfect by any means but Jones' influence is diminishing and the organization is making smarter moves. If it weren't for Romo falling apart I'm guessing we'd be no worse than 7-4, probably even 8-3 or 9-2, and everybody here would be celebrating.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He was ready to take Manziel a couple years ago, so the thought of taking a QB ins not outlandish. I think he might wait it out until Baker Mayfield, JFF Jr, is available next year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/page/hotread151202/kiper-mcshay-tackle-20-questions-2016-nfl-draft

2. Good QB class, bad QB class, or average QB class?

McShay: It's a disappointing QB class compared with its preseason potential. The bright spot has been the emergence Paxton Lynch (28 TDs, 3 INTs). If he leaves early, he's likely to be the first QB drafted. Jared Goff makes some exceptional throws but is still too inconsistent with his accuracy (11 INTs in nine Pac-12 games). I'd like to see him return to school to improve his footwork and add bulk/strength to his frame, but it appears he has different plans. Neither Lynch nor Goff will receive as high a grade as Jameis Winston last year, but I expect both to be first-round picks if they declare.
3. Player who's helped his stock the most this season?

Kiper: I think Paxton Lynch wins this in a runaway. Nobody is saying he's a sure thing, and I really think he could use time on an NFL bench before he's ready to start games, but he has elevated his stock and plays well enough against good defensive competition. He was not projected as a possible top-10 pick before the year started. Not even close.
Uh Carp?:unsure

Carp

DCC 4Life
Kiper says there are no sure QBs...but he has them both going in the top 11 picks...so they must be ok.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life

IRVING, Texas -- Jason Garrett believes Tony Romo has a lot of football left in him. Jerry Jones can see Romo as the Dallas Cowboys' quarterback for another 4-5 years while acknowledging the need to find a better backup and possible successor.

There will be plenty of time to dissect whom the Cowboys should draft once all of the college players declare their intentions. Before that the Cowboys will have to debate their course of action, according to executive vice president Stephen Jones.

“I think Jerry and I will put our heads together with Jason and (senior director college/pro personnel Will McClay) and what we did this year didn’t work,” Jones said. “There’s no denying that. When something doesn’t work and bites you in the butt like it did, we’ve got to re-look at everything. I think that will be one of the big, big discussions of ours in the offseason, what our strategy is there.”

The Cowboys have drafted two quarterbacks since 1991, and none since taking Stephen McGee in the fourth round in 2009. McGee did not make it through his rookie contract.

Drafting a quarterback high is not always the answer either. For all the successes of Andrew Luck, Cam Newton and apparent successes of Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles, there are the failures of E.J. Manuel, Brandon Weeden, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder.

There is also the question of playing a quarterback right away or letting him sit to develop.

“I think that’s to be debated,” Jones said. “Obviously there’s some guys who don’t play, like Denver’s guy, (Brock) Osweiler, coming in here for two games and he’s played pretty good, won two games. You say, ‘Well did he develop?’ The offseasons and seeing it and watching from the sidelines, there’s a lot of people who believe that’s good for players. Obviously Aaron Rodgers sat behind Brett Favre for a long time. Tony watched for years before he got thrown in.

But other quarterbacks, like Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Bridgewater and Bortles played right away and seem to have benefited.

Romo turns 36 in April and is signed through 2019. He is recovering from his second broken left collarbone this season.

If the Cowboys have a top 5-10 pick in next spring’s draft, do they go after a quarterback? Currently 23 starting quarterbacks were former first- or second-round picks although not necessarily with the team that drafted them.

Or would the Cowboys look at another position to help maximize Romo’s final years?

“That’s always at the end of the day what tears at you,” Jones said. “If we end up picking high then you have to debate it and if there’s a guy there that we like, would you take him knowing that we’ve got an older quarterback, who has been hurt? So that’s a valuable piece versus getting some big-time pass rusher, big-time running back, big-time receiver. If you’re picking high, those guys are sitting there.”

The Cowboys don’t need the answer today, but how they get their answer will be fascinating to watch.

This statement infuriates the fuck out of me. Mainly because we have seen him say this a thousand times, yet still nothing ever changes.
Not true. How many years did we bitch and moan about the offensive line and lack of desire to draft them high. Now look at them. He will eventually come around it just takes him longer than the normal average lemur.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life

Not true. How many years did we bitch and moan about the offensive line and lack of desire to draft them high. Now look at them. He will eventually come around it just takes him longer than the normal average lemur.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kiper says there are no sure QBs...but he has them both going in the top 11 picks...so they must be ok.
The draftniks say that every year out of habit.

Generational talents or sure things at QB are once every decade. But you still see one or two go early.

dallen

Senior Tech
The draftniks say that every year out of habit.

Generational talents or sure things at QB are once every decade. But you still see one or two go early.
There just aren't enough quarterbacks to go around. 32 teams, and maybe there are 20 decent quarterbacks at a given time. Add in the fact that bad teams are always going to need quarterbacks, and you get 2-3 going in the top 10 every year even if they wouldn't necessarily if you went by BPA.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I just can't believe Manziel is even considered on here. Off the field concerns are going to kill his career as well he just stinks on the field.

Top Bottom