Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am starting to think QB is right pick at 4 but I want Goff, for some reason Lynch scares the shit out of me.

I really don't see anybody looking to move up unless Goff is there, nobody else is a must have player IMO.

dallen

Senior Tech
I am starting to think QB is right pick at 4 but I want Goff, for some reason Lynch scares the shit out of me.

I really don't see anybody looking to move up unless Goff is there, nobody else is a must have player IMO.
Gut feeling is I want Goff over Lynch, but I don't really know why that is.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Lynch scares me a bit too but you can definitely see the tools and he has produced and made NFL throws at times in college. A huge part of the evaluation to me on him is the psychological/mental evaluation, is he a guy who wants to work on his craft to be great, does he want to lead, will he be able to process an NFL offense, making checks at the line, changing protections, etc.?

It doesn't seem like that's something I have to worry about with Goff as much, even if he isn't as physically talented as Lynch.

I finally watched the Auburn game and he seemed to be sulking a bit with his WR's dropping passes left and right and his OL getting demolished, that's a concern, but of course he's also a 21-22 year old who just lost his only college HC and knows it's his last game.

If he checks out on the mental side of things I'd be very confident taking him, but I also think he needs a coaching staff that is creative enough to use him the right way and ease him into being an NFL QB. He doesn't need a staff with a rigid, inflexible offense that will ask him to just sit back in the pocket and make 7 step drops all game like it's 1991 as soon as he gets in the lineup.

Wentz on the other hand seemingly checks off all the leadership/intangibles boxes and I think he is also just about as physically talented as Lynch, he also played in an offense that asked him to make more NFL-type throws. The concern of course is level of competition and that he has only played about 20 collegiate games, that's why the Senior Bowl is so huge, and if he kills it there, I might want him over Lynch.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's easier to see how he translates to an NFL offense, even if he isn't as athletic and doesn't have as big of an arm.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I see your point but I don't know how much was player coaching as opposed to game plan strategy. I watched Weeden his entire college career and he had the arm and accuracy all along. Bottom line however is the coach has to pull the trigger on how players are utilized. Garrett (or someone) doesn't seem to have that ability.
I doubt their ability to make a rookie any more effective in their super predictable bullshit offense. It takes someone making 19 adjustments at the LOS to get a play to work IF we have all pro talent at QB, RB, and WR. I don't see someone stepping into the offense from college and doing that. Garrett and Linehan will just make them run the Check Down Charlie version of the offense and ruin their confidence.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Because in games where we have given up multiple sacks you can say, "Man, they have really been jacking Goff."

:unsure

Cotton

Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Lynch scares me a bit too but you can definitely see the tools and he has produced and made NFL throws at times in college. A huge part of the evaluation to me on him is the psychological/mental evaluation, is he a guy who wants to work on his craft to be great, does he want to lead, will he be able to process an NFL offense, making checks at the line, changing protections, etc.?

It doesn't seem like that's something I have to worry about with Goff as much, even if he isn't as physically talented as Lynch.

I finally watched the Auburn game and he seemed to be sulking a bit with his WR's dropping passes left and right and his OL getting demolished, that's a concern, but of course he's also a 21-22 year old who just lost his only college HC and knows it's his last game.

If he checks out on the mental side of things I'd be very confident taking him, but I also think he needs a coaching staff that is creative enough to use him the right way and ease him into being an NFL QB. He doesn't need a staff with a rigid, inflexible offense that will ask him to just sit back in the pocket and make 7 step drops all game like it's 1991 as soon as he gets in the lineup.

Wentz on the other hand seemingly checks off all the leadership/intangibles boxes and I think he is also just about as physically talented as Lynch, he also played in an offense that asked him to make more NFL-type throws. The concern of course is level of competition and that he has only played about 20 collegiate games, that's why the Senior Bowl is so huge, and if he kills it there, I might want him over Lynch.
That's the part that scares me, will he need a perfect system that fits him to be effective or could he be effective in multiple systems.

I would be scared of chasing a coordinator to fit him instead of just getting the best guy who could integrate his special qualities.

I have watched very little of him but from what I read he seems more of a system guy and those guys scare me.

I am going to start watching some breakdowns of the big 3 so this opinion is subject to change.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's the part that scares me, will he need a perfect system that fits him to be effective or could he be effective in multiple systems.

I would be scared of chasing a coordinator to fit him instead of just getting the best guy who could integrate his special qualities.

I have watched very little of him but from what I read he seems more of a system guy and those guys scare me.

I am going to start watching some breakdowns of the big 3 so this opinion is subject to change.
The Seahawks and Panthers both run offenses that I think Lynch would be successful in, I don't think Mike Shula and Darrell Bevell were any kind of originators of schemes that emphasize a mobile QB, they previously ran very traditional NFL offenses in fact I believe. They're just creative enough to know how to accentuate the positives of the QB's they have and integrate their ability to run/throw on the move into the offense, without just asking them to make throws standing 7 yards straight behind the center every play.

I don't think it's a stretch to find a coordinator to implement an offense like that, it's just a stretch to ask idiot Garrett to do anything resembling that.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
nobody truly will know who is the better projected prospect until the senior bowl/combine workouts. I lean towards Goff but its close. Still a ways away from the NFL Draft, so all the conversation about this while fun is kind of moot

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's easier to see how he translates to an NFL offense, even if he isn't as athletic and doesn't have as big of an arm.
Goff has a pretty big arm though. It's just that both guys do. And while Goff maybe doesn't play in an NFL style offense you can see his throws are still into some very tight windows which tells me a lot about his ability to put the ball where and when he needs to.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

Same here. I think Goff will be the top QB and go to Cleveland though. Then we either take a big chance on Lynch or play it safe with a defensive player or Treadwell. We need a future franchise QB but can't afford a bust in the first especially drafting in the top 5.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Same here. I think Goff will be the top QB and go to Cleveland though. Then we either take a big chance on Lynch or play it safe with a defensive player or Treadwell. We need a future franchise QB but can't afford a bust in the first especially drafting in the top 5.
That's a pretty good approach. There are probably some good options out there if you don't get Goff at 4.

Cotton

Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom