JJT: Cowboys WR Terrance Williams doing damage as a blocker

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys WR Terrance Williams doing damage as a blocker
11:00 AM CT
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Go take a look at Ezekiel Elliott's eight-yard touchdown run against the Cleveland Browns last week and you’ll see Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrance Williams with the run's most important block, one that took three players out of the play.

Take another peek at Elliott’s 83-yard touchdown on a screen pass against Pittsburgh on Sunday and you’ll see Williams make one block and sprint 40 yards to make the final block on the play.

For all the criticism Williams receives for catching passes with his body instead of his hands, and the never-ending grumbling at his failure to get out of bounds at the end of the game in Week 1 against the New York Giants, he’s more than made up for it this season in other ways.

“I don’t really care about whether people pay attention to that, “ Williams said. “I decided to quit worrying about that this year because I can’t control it.

“When you have an offense like this with Zeke and Dez (Bryant) and (Jason) Witten, the ball isn’t going to come to you a lot. You have to contribute other ways. I decided to be the best blocker I could be.”

Williams has made an impact in the Cowboys’ running game. All you have to do is watch the games or listen to coach Jason Garrett talk about the conscientious way he attacks his job on a regular basis.

In this offense, Williams is usually the fourth option in the passing game behind Bryant, Witten and Cole Beasley. He spends much of the game running deep routes and curls while waiting for an opportunity for the ball.

In the last three games, he has only five catches for 49 yards. He caught 12 passes for 170 yards in the three games Bryant missed with a knee injury.

The offensive line gets most of the attention, as it should, for the success the Cowboys and Elliott have had running the ball this season. But you can’t do the damage Dallas has done with its running game without the tight ends and receivers playing big roles.

“You can’t control how many balls you catch,” Williams said, “but you can control your effort."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Williams taking down two players on that screen pass is just one more example of how this team has matured.

They lay it out on the line for each other darn near every play. Everyone feels like they are part of the team's success.

Can't recall that kind of buy-in from the whole team. The 1985 team had it too, and played way over their heads... maybe Landry's best coaching job.

I think when Romo went down and Dak came in everyone felt greater urgency to act as a team and step up for their young QB. When we started winning, it snowballed.

Top Bottom