Stephen Jones says the Cowboys would take franchise QB over impact player at 4

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree. I do think we may have one QB we consider a franchise caliber QB, probably Wentz. But if he's gone then not sure if we really like Goff that much to take him there.

The ideal situation would be for Wentz to be there at 4 and we take him. If not, and we don't like Goff I'd hope the 49ers like him enough to want to move up and we trade down to 7. I wouldn't want to move down further than that and I'd prefer drafting 7th with a trade haul that included the 49ers 2nd rounder rather than just stay put at 4 and drafting defense. Of course we may not have a trade offer, or one we like and have to stay put.

But right now I think Wentz may be the only QB we'd take at 4 and I have a feeling the Browns take him.
Yea, with that said we did have scouts at Goff's bowl game where he absolutely torched Air Force, so we do have some level of interest in him. It would really be astounding to me if we were in love with Wentz but just thumbed our nose at Goff who is clearly more polished and technically sound than Wentz. The only reason to love Wentz and not Goff would be because you're enamored with the physical tools, assuming Goff is clean off the field, which I'm fairly certain he is.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Romo has a few successful years left and hope to win big while he is still going strong.
He is?

Mean of me to point out, but he really wasn't exactly all that great last season before he broke his clavicle again. I don't think his back stands up to much defensive pressure scrutiny. I would be surprised if he makes it 8 games, on a good year for him.

The fact that they still apparently believe Romo has another 3 or 4 more years shows me they have no grasp of reality in this situation.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He is?

Mean of me to point out, but he really wasn't exactly all that great last season before he broke his clavicle again. I don't think his back stands up to much defensive pressure scrutiny. I would be surprised if he makes it 8 games, on a good year for him.

The fact that they still apparently believe Romo has another 3 or 4 more years shows me they have no grasp of reality in this situation.
It's the company line, nobody is going to come out and say Romo has 1 or 2 years left because it would create a huge media shit storm, the 3-4 thing keeps the media at bay even if it isn't true. Jerry probably wholeheartedly believes the 3-4 thing but I'm sure Stephen has doubts.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
It's the company line, nobody is going to come out and say Romo has 1 or 2 years left because it would create a huge media shit storm, the 3-4 thing keeps the media at bay even if it isn't true. Jerry probably wholeheartedly believes the 3-4 thing but I'm sure Stephen has doubts.
Well.... Far be it for them to actually take a QB at #4, this would be acknowledging Romo's days are numbered. And I don't think they are prepared to admit that - even to themselves - as yet.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well.... Far be it for them to actually take a QB at #4, this would be acknowledging Romo's days are numbered. And I don't think they are prepared to admit that - even to themselves - as yet.
Stephen talked for quite a bit the other day about how ideal it is to have a young QB sit and learn before playing, mentioning Rodgers, Young and even how Parcells always preached this. I think the 3-4 thing is the company line so as not to undermine Romo and to avoid a media shit storm, perhaps also to prepare the fans from calling for the rookie too soon if we do draft a guy at 4. Even if we take a QB at 4 I think the line will stay the same, but if they're saying 3-4 to the media I'm sure behind closed doors Stephen is thinking it could easily be 2 years while hoping for 3-4.

I mean honestly, Jerry is definitely an idiot, and while I don't think Stephen is a "football guy" as far as being able to scout talent on his own, I do think that he is a generally pragmatic/intelligent guy and that has started to show the last 2-3 years. In light of these recent comments, there is no way you can tell me that Stephen definitively believes that Romo has 3-4 years at the age of 36 with this recent history:

-Back surgery following the 2013 season where he couldn't play the "win and you're in" final regular season game
-Said back surgery requires coddling through the 2014 season
-Breaks collarbone twice during 2015 season, missing all but about 4 games
-Collarbone surgery following the 2015 season

Now, I think Stephen hopes for 3-4, but I can't believe a guy as seemingly grounded as he is wouldn't even consider that Romo may only be around for another year or two. Jerry almost certainly believes the 3-4 thing though.

dallen

Senior Tech
Stephen seemed pretty open to the idea in that quote from yesterday.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Now, I think Stephen hopes for 3-4, but I can't believe a guy as seemingly grounded as he is wouldn't even consider that Romo may only be around for another year or two. Jerry almost certainly believes the 3-4 thing though.
It's not a damn debate, guys.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
It's okay to grasp at any ole straw for hope. But history shows us these clowns can't cut it as managers. I have zero faith in them, regardless of what they say in media quotes.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I think what they tell the fans and what they tell each other are two different things. I also think they will do something about the QB situation. It just may not be what we want them to do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who needs to debate, they have basically said they will take a QB at four if they see someone who will be a franchise QB. At that point I don't really care how long they say Romo will be able to play.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Who needs to debate, they have basically said they will take a QB at four if they see someone who will be a franchise QB. At that point I don't really care how long they say Romo will be able to play.
That's right. Every year Romo can stay healthy and play is a plus but there still needs to be a replacement and this draft is the best circumstance that will come around now and in the near future. There's no debate on what needs to be done.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
I think what they tell the fans and what they tell each other are two different things. I also think they will do something about the QB situation. It just may not be what we want them to do.
The problem is they think they've done that already, with Moore and a FA signing. Much like the RB situation last year, they think they "got this" with what we have.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The problem is they think they've done that already, with Moore and a FA signing. Much like the RB situation last year, they think they "got this" with what we have.
I don't think anyone in the organization is real comfortable with the QB situation. They obviously love Romo but they aren't completely naive. They know he can be lost in one play. Obviously they can see that Moore isn't long term even as a third stringer because his arm is too weak to get the ball out safely. If folks on this board can see all this what makes anyone think they don't see it.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Which free agent did we sign? I must have missed this.
In context, it's "Moore and a FA signing." Everyone knows they cannot sign free agents as yet.
I don't think anyone in the organization is real comfortable with the QB situation. They obviously love Romo but they aren't completely naive. They know he can be lost in one play. Obviously they can see that Moore isn't long term even as a third stringer because his arm is too weak to get the ball out safely. If folks on this board can see all this what makes anyone think they don't see it.
Because they are proven stupid.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Boy, Lynch sure has dropped off the face of the Earth hasn't he? Would anyone be happy with a trade down, picking up a premium pick or two and taking Lynch to sit for a few years?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boy, Lynch sure has dropped off the face of the Earth hasn't he? Would anyone be happy with a trade down, picking up a premium pick or two and taking Lynch to sit for a few years?
Yeah, I would be all for that.

Lynch will have a great opportunity to climb again though. He has kind of been out of sight, out of mind for awhile. Add into that a poor bowl game performance and Lynch has dropped back. But if he looks good at workouts with his footwork, throws the ball well and runs like I think he can, we may be talking about him again with the top 2 QBs.

Top Bottom