Tony Pauline: Jalen Ramsey Is Number One On Cowboys Board

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFL Draft News & Notes: 1.0

Feb

Workouts at the NFL combine start two weeks from Friday as the offensive linemen and tight ends take the field at Lucas Oil Stadium. In the run-up to the combine here is the latest word from insiders.

How early will Myles Jack of UCLA be draft? The word from NFL decision makers is very early. Some, including my buddy Jared Norris at Rotoworld, grade Jack as the top player in the draft. And though many would disagree, including myself, its not a far fetched opinion. NFL decision makers are referring to Jack as a “rare athlete”, a label not often thrown around. They love his athleticism, intensity and versatility to play three downs in a variety of schemes. They also point to the four touchdowns he scored when lined up at running back. When I mentioned my concern about his size the name of Shaq Thompson, the Panthers first round pick in 2015, was brought up. It was also pointed out Jack is head and shoulders a better prospect than Thompson.

How do NFL executives feel the initial five picks will fall? In recent conversations before the Super Bowl the order that gets the most votes at this early stage is 1) Laremy Tunsil, 2) Jalen Ramsey, 3) Jared Goff, 4) Myles Jack, 5) Joey Bosa.

I heard talk during the Senior Bowl that Tunsil could be the first pick of the draft. Goff at three is interesting for a variety of reasons, including a potential trade.

One team that would not be happy to see Jalen Ramsey going so early are the Dallas Cowboys as I’m told he’s presently graded as the top player on their board.

Someone drawing a lot of interest and intrigue from teams is former LSU cornerback Rashard Robinson. Personnel people from the Oakland Raiders and New York Giants believe Robinson would’ve competed for the top cornerback spot in this year’s draft had he played the past two seasons and built upon his impressive freshman campaign. I’m told he will measure over 6-feet/2-inches and is expected to run the forty in the 4.3’s at the combine. I’ve also been told Robinson has been invited to participate at LSU’s pro-day. As someone told me earlier today teams are willing to roll the dice on tall corners that can run fast as the demand far outstrips the supply. The point being Robinson could be selected much earlier than people project.

Trevone Boykin has received an invitation to the combine and will be working out with the quarterbacks two weeks from Saturday. I’m told Boykin has been doing receiver work during his combine preparation but presently there are no plans for him to run routes or catch passes in Indianapolis or during pro-day at TCU. Rather Boykin will workout at receiver as teams come to campus to individually test Josh Doctson and Kolby Listenbee.

People I’ve spoken with believe the out of the box office moves by the Cleveland Browns will pay off in the long run. The feeling among many is Paul DePodesta and Sashi Brown, both Harvard graduates, will install a system that should weed out the bad apples and finally end the run of draft busts that has plagued the franchise for years.

Recently the New York Jets were linked to quarterback Colin Kaepernick but no one I’ve spoken with, even from Kaepernick’s camp, feel there’s any legitimacy in this potential move. I can say without a doubt general manager Mike Maccagnan is not sitting around admiring the Executive of the Year Award recently handed to him by the PFWA. People I’ve spoken with laud Maccagnan and the Jets for leaving no stone unturned since the end of the season and the team has literally interviewed every player that attended each of January’s All Star games.

I’m told the Jets really like third year offensive tackle Brent Qvale, which could offer them some flexibility at the position. Many believe the team will try and renegotiate the contract of veteran left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson to give themselves more cap space.
---------------------

:window

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just gotta hope the Titans save us from ourselves.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just gotta hope the Titans save us from ourselves.
I don't think even a shittty franchise like the Titans is dumb enough to take a CB/S tweener number one overall.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think even a shittty franchise like the Titans is dumb enough to take a CB/S tweener number one overall.
I actually meant Chargers. Not sure why I typed Titans.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
i don't think this is true. While I'm sure we have him rated high I doubt it's number 1

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I actually meant Chargers. Not sure why I typed Titans.
Chargers are a long shot to take a DB in the first. They would have to be dumber than us and that is hard to imagine.

Cotton

Staff member
Chargers are a long shot to take a DB in the first. They would have to be dumber than us and that is hard to imagine.
I have seen mocks with Ramsey going to them. They have a need at safety.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The CB class this year is extremely deep, we could easily get contributors in the 3rd through 5th rounds, so of course we're going to spend the 4th pick on a CB/S with mediocre at best ball skills and get a one way ticket to QB purgatory starting as soon as next season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The CB class this year is extremely deep, we could easily get contributors in the 3rd through 5th rounds, so of course we're going to spend the 4th pick on a CB/S with mediocre at best ball skills and get a one way ticket to QB purgatory starting as soon as next season.
"Extremely deep"? Eh. I wouldn't characterize it that way.

But it certainly is not to the point where you need to do something stupid like take one in the top 5. Safety is the same way.

And lookee there, Ramsey isn't exactly either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

But it certainly is not to the point where you need to do something stupid like take one in the top 5. Safety is the same way.

I'm guessing damn near 15-20 CB's go in the first 4 rounds, that's about 1 CB per every 2 teams. I would call that deep.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm guessing damn near 15-20 CB's go in the first 4 rounds, that's about 1 CB per every 2 teams. I would call that deep.
Law of averages usually goes for the top 140-150 has 14-15 go.

Teams are corner-whoreish, I get it. I don't see this going beyond the average.

When you get past the top 10-12, there are some questionable guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

First off I'm not sure how much I really trust this report. I seriously doubt Dallas is walking around telling people who their number one rated player is. Hell they don't even know who their number one rated player is at this point.

But as far as Ramsey is concerned, I don't think he would even be my favorite safety in this draft. This is where I look at a guy like Thompson with excellent instincts and 5 picks on his resume this past season. And would prefer him as my safety.

So then I ask you, is Ramsey the best cover corner in this draft? Most say that is Hargreaves.

So if you aren't getting necessarily the best safety or the best corner then what you're really doing is paying for versatility. And the fact that he played at FSU.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What you're really paying for with Ramsey is that he has prototypical height, speed, length and athleticism for a DB in the league, especially with this new found obsession with height. I'm pretty sure he's going to run in the 4.3's at the Combine, which is crazy for being 6-1, 200. If he had ball skills/a history of producing turnovers in college I'd be all about taking him at 4 honestly, but he doesn't, and therefore I'm not.

I understand why people love him as a prospect, physically it's all there, and there's versatility too although that's minimized by the fact that Jones is on our roster in my opinion. The problem is I would never draft a DB in the top 5 who isn't a true ballhawk, and I've seen no indication that this guy is.

He's honestly just a rich man's Byron Jones.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If I am taking a guy in the top five, there better be no doubt he is the best player at his position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think there's a chance we have a real board up yet.
It's why I call absolute bullshit on this report.

And hell even if he was, Jerry and Co have already shown that they don't stick strictly to their board.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Why am I not surprised? You really can't script this. Wouldn't be surprised if Hargreaves was #2.

We would've been better off winning another game or two just to save us from ourselves. I bet Ramsey is the best DB prospect we've ever seen since Mo Claiborne.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I said it a few weeks, worst case scenario is taking Ramsey or Hargreaves in the first and then a QB in the 2nd or 3rd.

At this point I'd almost be willing to put money on us doing just that.

Top Bottom