Ravens Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Garrett hopeful Tony Romo will be active vs. Ravens
8:58 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Jason Garrett would not go as far Monday as Jerry Jones did on Sunday when the Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager said Tony Romo would be the backup quarterback this week against the Baltimore Ravens.

Romo has been inactive for every game this season as he has recovered from a compression fracture in his back suffered on Aug. 25. Garrett said Romo has had a good two weeks of practice. Last week marked the first time since late in the 2014 season Romo went through three full practices, splitting scout-team snaps with Mark Sanchez.

“We’re certainly hopeful that would happen based on what he did last week, but again we’ll take his situation day by day and hopefully he’ll have a good day on Wednesday,” Garrett said of Romo being active against the Ravens.

Jones acknowledged after the win against the Pittsburgh Steelers that the Cowboys will continue with Dak Prescott’s hot hand and said Romo would make the same decision.

Romo has not served as the Cowboys’ backup quarterback in a game since 2008 when he filled that role behind Brad Johnson against the St. Louis Rams despite having a broken pinky finger.

“It’ll be good to have Tony out there,” tight end Jason Witten said. “I mean, his spirits are high. He’s certainly focused on doing whatever he can in any capacity to help this football team win games. And I know that he’s going to approach it that way and know what he’s all about. It’ll be good to get him out there.”

Cotton

Staff member
Eye on the Enemy: Breaking down the Baltimore Ravens
Patrik Walker - 3 hours ago

The road to a potential Super Bowl for the Dallas Cowboys in 2016 isn't getting any easier just yet, if at all.

After barely escaping the Pittsburgh Steelers with their lives, and now short one starting tight end in Geoff Swaim (pectoral), they will head to Arlington for some home cooking as the Baltimore Ravens come to town. The Cowboys are looking to be ungracious hosts and land their ninth-consecutive win for the first time in franchise history.

And it won't be easy.

They'll face a Ravens defense that is the best in the NFL at what they do, and that's stop both the run and the pass.

Baltimore is first in both overall yardage allowed and rushing defense allowing only 281.6 ypg and 71.3 yards ypg, respectively. It's a story the Cowboys have heard before heading into Lambeau Field which resulted in the evisceration of the Packers then top rushing defense, and they're hoping for some deja vu on Sunday.

The Ravens also boast a fifth-ranked passing defense giving up only 210.2 ypg and 11 interceptions on the year, second most in the league. It's a group that is as opportunistic as it is stout, anchored by the stellar play of both Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumervil. They get after the opposing offense in a big way, so the Cowboys have their work cut out for them.

So why are they 5-4 and barely leading a division that includes the winless Brown, the gutless Bengals and a Steelers team that has now lost four straight games?

It's because their offense is their weak spot, and must be attacked as such.

The black birds are below average in passing to the tune of 247.1 yards per game which garners them the 20th spot in the NFL. Add to that the paltry 28th ranking in rushing yards with 85.9 weekly and quarterback Joe Flacco having thrown nine interceptions already to only nine touchdowns, and it fast becomes a game that could see the Cowboys defense become the stars of the day.

On paper it's the unstoppable force of Cowboys rookie Ezekiel Elliott versus the immovable object of the Ravens defensive front, but the games are played on the field as the Packers and every other Dallas opponent is finding out the hard way.

If the NFL's leading rusher and rushing attack can burst through the best defense he's seen all year, the Cowboys can combine those efforts with what should be a solid outing for their defense and send the Ravens home plucked.

The Cowboys would like to do away with the Ravens easily if they can, facing a short week before the rival Washington Redskins line up against them.

Cotton

Staff member

Rock Slamdance

DCC 4Life
Any vet corners available? I don't like the idea of that McFadden scrub seeing the field.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Unless I’m mistaken, the Cowboys have never beaten the Baltimore Ravens. I remember the beat downs we received in 2000 & 2004. I remember during the final game at Texas Stadium in 2008 the defense collapsed down the stretch, giving up consecutive long scoring drives. And I remember losing a tight one in 2012.

We need to put an end to that this Sunday.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Any vet corners available? I don't like the idea of that McFadden scrub seeing the field.
I think think Sterling Moore might be available. Generally I'm ok with standing pat but I've always liked Moore and we could definitely use the help.

Although the staff doesn't seem to be fans of his.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I may have been thinking of Tyler Patmon. I'd give him a look, he wasn't too bad either.

Cotton

Staff member
I believe we've never beaten the ravens.
Unless I’m mistaken, the Cowboys have never beaten the Baltimore Ravens. I remember the beat downs we received in 2000 & 2004. I remember during the final game at Texas Stadium in 2008 the defense collapsed down the stretch, giving up consecutive long scoring drives. And I remember losing a tight one in 2012.

We need to put an end to that this Sunday.
You are both correct. We are 0-4 against them. Results are at this link... http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/dallas-cowboys/teamvsteam?opp=3.

Cotton

Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
I think think Sterling Moore might be available. Generally I'm ok with standing pat but I've always liked Moore and we could definitely use the help.

Although the staff doesn't seem to be fans of his.
I think Moore is on the Saints

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Their OL is in shambles. Yanda is out. Rookie Alex Lewis is out. Ronnie Stanley is still working the kinks out after a month off. If we can't hold their offense in check, this D is an illusion.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Their OL is in shambles. Yanda is out. Rookie Alex Lewis is out. Ronnie Stanley is still working the kinks out after a month off. If we can't hold their offense in check, this D is an illusion.
Only thing I'm worried about is if we have to roll this schlub McFadden out for 40+ snaps. If he can avoid getting beaten like a drum we should hold them to 17 or less.

Cotton

Staff member
Only thing I'm worried about is if we have to roll this schlub McFadden out for 40+ snaps. If he can avoid getting beaten like a drum we should hold them to 17 or less.
Scandrick likely will be back, so we won't have to use McFadden that much, hopefully.

Rock Slamdance

DCC 4Life
1. Antonio Cromartie

2. Trumaine McBride

3. Tarell Brown

4. Javier Arenas

5. Cortez Allen

6. Ras-I Dowling

7. Phillip Adams

8. Josh Wilson

9. Brandon McGee

10. Jayron Hosley

Not sure how up to date that list is. None of the names are inspiring, but certainly more so than McFadden.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Josh Wilson has been on the team a couple of times....

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys haven't had much luck with John Parry as ref
12:30 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- John Parry and his officiating crew will be coming off a short week when they call the Dallas Cowboys' game against the Baltimore Ravens after working Monday’s win by the New York Giants against the Cincinnati Bengals.

This will be the eighth time since 2010 the Cowboys have had Parry as the referee. They are just 2-5 with Parry as the ref and there is quite a difference in the penalties and yards between the Cowboys and their opponents. The Cowboys have been penalized 51 times for 355 yards, while their opponents have been flagged 31 times for 221 yards.

The Cowboys were 0-2 with Parry last year with division losses to the Washington Redskins and Giants in Weeks 17 and 7, respectively.

In two of their last three games the Cowboys have reached double digits in penalties, including 10 for 98 yards last week against the Steelers.

“The biggest thing we have to do is not evaluate the officiating,” coach Jason Garrett said. “We’ve just got to get it right going forward. I think for the most part this year we’ve done a good job keeping the penalties down. We’ve got to make sure we do a better job of that going forward.”

In the Giants-Bengals contest, Parry’s crew called 12 penalties with 11 accepted. The Bengals were penalized nine times for 60 yards, and the Giants had two for 15 yards.

Here is a breakdown:

Illegal motion – 1

Illegal use of hands – 2

Illegal block above the waist – 2

Offensive holding – 2

Offside – 1

Defensive pass interference – 1

Delay of game – 1

Defensive holding – 1

Illegal contact – 1

Quarter-by-quarter

First - 3