MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
I really hope we keep him in the pen...he was excellent in the playoffs.

Carp

DCC 4Life
World Series Odds

San Francisco Giants: 6/1
Chicago Cubs: 6/1
Boston Red Sox: 9/1
New York Mets: 14/1
Kansas City Royals: 14/1
Los Angeles Dodgers: 16/1
Toronto Blue Jays: 16/1
St. Louis Cardinals: 16/1
Washington Nationals: 18/1
Houston Astros: 18/1
Pittsburgh Pirates: 18/1
Texas Rangers: 20/1
Arizona Diamondbacks: 20/1
Cleveland Indians: 25/1
Los Angeles Angels: 25/1
New York Yankees: 25/1
Detroit Tigers: 25/1
----------------

It absolutely baffles me that the Giants are a favorite this year.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
World Series Odds

----------------

But, 2016 IS AN EVEN NUMBERED YEAR!!! If Cueto stays healthy all season and pitches like he can, and if Samardzija returns to his 2014 form in a pitcher's park they have a chance to be really good, but to consider them favorites? Dumb. The Mets should feel insulted.

I am not really comfortable with the Cubs odds being so strong but after making it to the NLCS last year and a few pretty strong moves this offseason I get it. It is totally a "on paper" thing right now though. The NL Central is still going to be a bitch, the Mets and that pitching staff aren't going away, the Diamondbacks have to be taken seriously now, the SFG could be good, the LAD are going to end up trading for Fernandez I think, etc. Still several players out there in free agency/trade that can be differencemakers too.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
But, 2016 IS AN EVEN NUMBERED YEAR!!! If Cueto stays healthy all season and pitches like he can, and if Samardzija returns to his 2014 form in a pitcher's park they have a chance to be really good, but to consider them favorites? Dumb. The Mets should feel insulted.

I am not really comfortable with the Cubs odds being so strong but after making it to the NLCS last year and a few pretty strong moves this offseason I get it. It is totally a "on paper" thing right now though. The NL Central is still going to be a bitch, the Mets and that pitching staff aren't going away, the Diamondbacks have to be taken seriously now, the SFG could be good, the LAD are going to end up trading for Fernandez I think, etc. Still several players out there in free agency/trade that can be differencemakers too.
This is a different feel for the Cubs now...they are not that lovable, ragtag, group of players. They spend big money now and if they are not successful they are going to be deemed a failure.

D

Deuce

I don't see it as a slap in the face to the Mets. They only went on their run after they grabbed some hitting to match their pitching. Now 2 of their better hitters from last season may not be on the team anymore. Very possible they go right back to middle of the pack trying to win on pitching alone.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I don't see it as a slap in the face to the Mets. They only went on their run after they grabbed some hitting to match their pitching. Now 2 of their better hitters from last season may not be on the team anymore. Very possible they go right back to middle of the pack trying to win on pitching alone.
When you have that kind of a rotation you are a serious threat to win it all. The SFG have won 3 titles in the past 5 years and they haven't exactly trotted out Murder's Row. Just really strong pitching and enough timely hitting.

I'm not saying they should favored over all other teams, but they should be getting better odds than the SFG, IMO. The SFG may end up winning it all again this season but I would not give them the best odds in MLB. Probably not even top 5.

D

Deuce

When you have that kind of a rotation you are a serious threat to win it all. The SFG have won 3 titles in the past 5 years and they haven't exactly trotted out Murder's Row. Just really strong pitching and enough timely hitting.

I'm not saying they should favored over all other teams, but they should be getting better odds than the SFG, IMO. The SFG may end up winning it all again this season but I would not give them the best odds in MLB. Probably not even top 5.
SF also had some above average to great defense to go with their pitching. NYM does not. Not even close, in fact.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Murphy being replaced by Walker is pretty even...more power from Walker actually. Losing Cespedes is big, but I don't think we are done adding offense...and will have a full season of Conforto, plus the offensive upgrade at SS with Cabrera. I expect a decent year from Wright and D'Arnaud as well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
SF also had some above average to great defense to go with their pitching. NYM does not. Not even close, in fact.
Feh. They had Pence and Crawford...the rest of there defenders were average at best.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
World Series Odds

Cincinnati Reds: Hell Freezes Over/1
----------------

That's about right.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Cardinals To Sign Mike Leake

By Zach Links | December 22, 2015 at 10:09am CST

10:09am: Leake’s deal is for five years and worth $80MM, per Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The deal also includes a mutual option that could increase the total value of the deal to the $93MM/$94MM range. The pact also includes a full no-trade clause.

At the outset of the offseason, MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes predicted that Leake would net a five-year, $80MM contract.
-----------------------------------------

Pretty good deal for StL given some of the other starting pitching contracts being handed out. Leake definitely isn't a game changer but he is a pretty good pitcher. Hopefully he does not benefit from Cardinal devil magic and suddenly become much better than he has been up to this point.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Mets Nearing Deal With Alejandro De Aza

By Zach Links | December 22, 2015 at 10:19am CST

The Mets are on the verge of signing outfielder Alejandro De Aza, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). On Monday, Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reported that the Mets had interest in De Aza, along with a couple of other outfield options.

De Aza, 32 in April, profiles as a decent platoon option. His lifetime .274/.338/.418 line against righties is solid, if unspectacular, and his recent work in center field hasn’t been viewed favorably through the lens of DRS and UZR. (He also hasn’t played center with any sort of regularity since 2013, when he posted a -18 DRS mark.) De Aza did do well against righties in 2015, however, hitting .278/.351/.448 against right-handed pitching.
---------------------------------

Decent vet depth/platoon option I guess.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
World Series Odds

----------------

Philadelphia Phillies: soyou'resayingthere'sachance/1

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mets Nearing Deal With Alejandro De Aza

By Zach Links | December 22, 2015 at 10:19am CST

The Mets are on the verge of signing outfielder Alejandro De Aza, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). On Monday, Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reported that the Mets had interest in De Aza, along with a couple of other outfield options.

De Aza, 32 in April, profiles as a decent platoon option. His lifetime .274/.338/.418 line against righties is solid, if unspectacular, and his recent work in center field hasn’t been viewed favorably through the lens of DRS and UZR. (He also hasn’t played center with any sort of regularity since 2013, when he posted a -18 DRS mark.) De Aza did do well against righties in 2015, however, hitting .278/.351/.448 against right-handed pitching.
---------------------------------

Decent vet depth/platoon option I guess.
Ahhh fuck...this better not be the end of it. I mean yeah, nice bench guy, but if he is going to be the lefthanded part of a CF platoon, then I am just ehhh.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yankees trade for Chapman.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yep. Reds trade another All-star for a few minor leaguers and a ham sandwich. What's worse is Cincy isn't even getting anyone's top 5 prospects. Top player in the Chapman deal is the Yankees #6 prospect who is still in AA.

D

Deuce

Yep. Reds trade another All-star for a few minor leaguers and a ham sandwich. What's worse is Cincy isn't even getting anyone's top 5 prospects. Top player in the Chapman deal is the Yankees #6 prospect who is still in AA.
That's what happens when you've decided to trade a player with off the field issues.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
That's what happens when you've decided to trade a player with off the field issues.
That...and because the Reds have one of the worst front offices in baseball. I know Chapman was only going to bring so much under the circumstances. But even the top prospect the Reds got for Chapman was a marginal 3rd baseman who is projected to move to 1st. That'd be fine except Cincy has Votto tied up long term...at 1st.

Overall, the Reds have been giving away the store since mid-season for not much in return.

Last edited:
Top Bottom