User Tag List

Page 70 of 75 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Romo was better than Aikman. Yeah, okay.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

All that needs to be said is that Aikman's talent level far exceeded Romo's. Want proof? Number 1 overall draft pick vs not drafted at all. Not saying Romo wasn't talented, that much was obvious. but, had Troy gone to a team that required him to do the things Tony did, there's no doubt he could have not only done them, but I sincerely believe he would have done more.

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    For my money Romo was a better position player at QB than Aikman because he accomplished more at that position statistaclly than other Cowboys QB with inferior team mates to some of the others especially Aikman's.
    I'm shocked you think this.

You don't take into account how much easier it is to play offense today than it was back then? Almost every QB today has better stats.
    2014=2009, 2015=2010?

The Garrett Song

4. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Lab View Post
    I'm shocked you think this.

You don't take into account how much easier it is to play offense today than it was back then? Almost every QB today has better stats.
    I'm not sure what you mean by easier to play at the QB position now than then but that's okay.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by easier to play at the QB position now than then but that's okay.
    The rules of the game have changed significantly over the last 20 years. The NFL has gone out of their way to make things easier for offenses and have handcuffed defenses in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bigfan13 View Post
    The rules of the game have changed significantly over the last 20 years. The NFL has gone out of their way to make things easier for offenses and have handcuffed defenses in the process.
    But removing the forceout play (receiver now needs to get two feet in bounds) and the Dez "must maintain control of the ball" play are two examples that have hindered offenses since Troy retired.

Quote Originally Posted by bbgun View Post
    But removing the forceout play (receiver now needs to get two feet in bounds) and the Dez "must maintain control of the ball" play are two examples that have hindered offenses since Troy retired.
    Climate change has also made it 1.5 degrees hotter on today's QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by pdom View Post

But our teams were more than just Romo and 'very thin talent'. You give credit to 07 and 14 but discount 2008 and 2009. 2011 and 2012 weren't solid

In none of Romo's years, even 2014, did I ever think we'd win a Super Bowl not deserved to, but we weren't very thin talent-wise.
    "Thin" means a veneer of talent, i.e. a lack of depth. 2008 is a great example. The OL superficially resembled the fine pass-blocking line from the year before, but it wore down by December. The WRs looked strong with TO and Roy Williams, but we know they weren't very good, especially by year's end.

Same thing happened the very next year. In 2009 it looked like we were set at RB, but Barber and Jones were injured off and on all year. The OL fell apart in Minnesota, and we had very little safety depth. The running game was completely based off of draw plays and only worked between the 20's.

Thin.

By 2010, there was no OL and almost no strong defensive talent left outside of Ware and the few games with Sean Lee.

Romo took a long time to mature, but a lot of how players mature comes from the kind of coaching and teammates around them.

The coaching and caliber of teammates Troy Aikman had from 1990-1993 were second to none. I feel Tony would have done just fine, and maybe as well as Troy.

FYI. This looks like it could be pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    FYI. This looks like it could be pretty interesting.