Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Lots of talk about the draft around the board. This thread can be used for any draft chatter you may have.

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas Cowboys will be picking No. 4 in the 2016 NFL draft

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

Here’s a quick look at the top three positional needs for the Dallas Cowboys:

Defensive end: The Cowboys finished with 31 sacks, led by DeMarcus Lawrence's eight. Greg Hardy (six sacks) did not deliver the way they had hoped. The start of Randy Gregory's career was slowed by an ankle injury and kept him from earning the coaches' trust. A defense can never have enough pass rushers and Hardy is no lock to return in 2016.

Cornerback: Brandon Carr is going into the final year of his contract and has not had an interception since 2013. Morris Claiborne is set to be a free agent. Orlando Scandrick is coming back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Like defensive ends, you can never have enough cornerbacks as well.

Quarterback: It has nothing to do with what Tony Romo will be in 2016 but what he might be in 2018 and beyond. He turns 36 in April. The Cowboys hope to never be picking this high again in Romo’s tenure. Without a trade up by another team, only the Cleveland Browns would be considered a lock to take a quarterback ahead of the Cowboys.

Cotton

Staff member
Really hoping the Browns hold on to Manziel and Goff slips to us at 4. Not that I think we would take him, but I'd like him to be there to make them at least consider it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Ramsey. Just to watch the world burn.

Cotton

Staff member
5 thoughts: Cowboys' first-round target should be defensive playmaker

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

ARLINGTON -- The nightmare is finally over. The Cowboys finish 4-12, their worst record since the 1-15 team in 1989, Jerry Jones' first season as owner.
Here are my thoughts on Sunday's 34-23 loss to Washington at AT&T Stadium.

1.) Did I think the Cowboys had a shot at winning only four games entering this season? Of course not. Even with the injuries suffered by Tony Romo and Dez Bryant, I thought this group was talented enough to go at least 6 or 7 wins. The biggest takeaway from the 2015 season is that there are a lot more holes than we saw during the previous year. Fortunately in today's league of parity, better health, a good draft and a few solid moves in free agency should get this group back to contending for the division next season. But it's pretty clear Dallas doesn't have their QB-of-the-future behind Romo. Must they select that player in the first round of this year's draft? Can they afford to wait another season? Can they find someone to fill that role who's already in the league? That'll be among Jerry Jones' top offseason priorities.

"I just can't believe 20 years has gone by. It's like a flash. I would have never thought that that length of time would go by and not after having gone to the Super Bowls that we went to in the first I think seven years that I was in the NFL," Jerry Jones said. "But we've had the advent of free agency since those first seven years. So I can give you bigger challenges. Some teams have done better than others. The facts are that if you look for the most part you'll see a lot of teams right in the middle at .500. It's funny that we designed the league to get everybody to .500.

"That doesn't mean anybody has to honor that and stay down and some of them like New England have done an outstanding job of disavowing what the league wants and that is everybody equal. And so I give them a lot of credit. I'm envious of how well they have played over certainly the last 10 years but I'm not discouraged at all in any way.

"As a matter of fact, I'm encouraged because it'll be when we get it right, when we get a win, when we do get to that point then it'll make it that much better. I think it was Churchill that said success is going from failure to failure and not losing your enthusiasm in between. That's me. Churchill was talking about me."

2.) Kellen Moore had a heck of a day on the stat sheet, throwing for 435 yards, 3 TDs and 2 INTs. Is he the Cowboys' backup in 2016? I don't think he completely secured that role with his play in the final three games. They'll continue to look at their options. Moore certainly doesn't have the ideal size or arm strength, but he shows some things that make you think he has a place in this league. Jerry Jones said he thinks Moore is a viable option to be Romo's backup in 2016.

"His background and [Scott] Linehan's background with him and these games, I think he's got the potential to be a winning No. 2," Jones said. "I think he can ultimately win games in the NFL."

3.) Interesting day for Darren McFadden. He rushed 12 times for 92 yards, which gave him his second-career 1,000-yard season. A huge accomplishment for a player who didn't open the season as the starter and didn't record his first 100-yard game until Week 7. But the fourth-quarter fumble at the goal line will be his play most remember from the season finale. Overall, a very good season for the 28-year-old. But while he brings some stability to the position, I still think the Cowboys must draft a running back in the first few rounds in April. Without Joseph Randle, a young option to build around for the future is needed.

"I was particularly impressed with McFadden at the end of the year and the way he has come on," Jerry Jones said. "He has competed right in the top four or five guys we've got on the football team, so I feel good about what we can do in the running game."

4.) The biggest offseason goal was upgrading the pass rush. The Cowboys used a second-round pick on Randy Gregory and signed controversial defensive end Greg Hardy. Dallas recorded one sack Sunday, giving Rod Marinelli's group 31 for the season. They had 28 last year. During his pregame radio interview, Jerry Jones said pass rush would again be a major offseason priority.

"We just based upon our lack of success we want to continue to emphasize getting pressure on that quarterback," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. "Now, Rod's defensive theory, he pressures because they're gap players, you can pressure with the interior guys as well. So, they don't necessarily have to be traditional outside stand up or put your hand down pressure from the outside. You can do it from the inside as well. And I think that we see we need to improve there and I think we will."

5.) The happiest fans Sunday afternoon were the ones hoping the Cowboys would tank for a higher draft pick. Mission accomplished. Dallas will have the fourth overall pick. Which direction should they go? As of right now, I would lean toward taking the best defender on the board. I don't think a running back is worthy of a top five pick and I question the quality of this QB class. The best wide receiver: Ole Miss' Laquon Treadwell would be an intriguing match with Dez Bryant, but adding a defensive playmaker is more important for this current roster.

"We have a periodic review of potential juniors coming out, seniors that are eligible coming out, and we have that," Jerry Jones said. "We haven't done anything different this year with a higher pick potential than we would have done in years past. We have a certain familiarity with the guys, but we have not gotten into depth at all in evaluations of players."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But the fourth-quarter fumble at the goal line will be his play most remember from the season finale. Overall, a very good season for the 28-year-old. But while he brings some stability to the position, I still think the Cowboys must draft a running back in the first few rounds in April.
I know it wasn't intentional but the fumble was kind of a good thing. If he didn't Dallas would have been right in this game and on it's way to potentially a meaningless victory. The fumble was pretty ridiculous too. No way a RB should be fumbling in that situation.

I also like how Jerry kind of mentions DT when talking about improving the pass rush. I couldn't agree more. We need to get more consistent production from the inside of our D-line. While Crawford's numbers aren't bad we didn't really get the same type of pressure that we saw the previous year. Hayden, well his zero sack numbers kind of speak for themselves. Especially for a guy who isn't a particularly great run stuffer. There are a number of DT's in the first round of this draft who I think could rush the passer and be stout against the run. Sort of a two way DT that we seem to totally lack.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be truly shocked if we took a DT in the 1st, there really aren't any that are slated to even go in the top 10-15, especially with Billings apparently going back to school.

If a guy like Kenny Clark is there at 34 I would turn that card in in about 4 seconds though and I'd certainly love a guy like Vernon Butler in the 3rd or 4th. Sheldon Rankins would be great in the 3rd although that may be too late for him, if he has a really good Senior Bowl I wouldn't be surprised if we considered him at 34, especially if our coaches have him on their Senior Bowl roster.

Adolphus Washington is another one who could be a nice pick at 34. I'd take Jarran Reed there too but I don't think we would spend that high of a pick on a guy who is primarily a run-stuffer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be truly shocked if we took a DT in the 1st, there really aren't any that are slated to even go in the top 10-15, especially with Billings apparently going back to school.

If a guy like Kenny Clark is there at 34 I would turn that card in in about 4 seconds though and I'd certainly love a guy like Vernon Butler in the 3rd or 4th. Sheldon Rankins would be great in the 3rd although that may be too late for him, if he has a really good Senior Bowl I wouldn't be surprised if we considered him at 34, especially if our coaches have him on their Senior Bowl roster.

Adolphus Washington is another one who could be a nice pick at 34. I'd take Jarran Reed there too but I don't think we would spend that high of a pick on a guy who is primarily a run-stuffer.
McShay has Rankins going like 20th in the first. I really like the player too. 6 sacks but stout against the run as well. Would be an excellent player.

I guess it just depends what rankings you are looking at. Mel Kiper for example has 4 DT's all in his top 20 prospects. 3 of which are in the top 15 and one of which sits at 16. It's certainly possible that some of them start separating themselves and climbing.

Cotton

Staff member
McShay has Rankins going like 20th in the first. I really like the player too. 6 sacks but stout against the run as well. Would be an excellent player.

I guess it just depends what rankings you are looking at. Mel Kiper for example has 4 DT's all in his top 20 prospects. 3 of which are in the top 15 and one of which sits at 16. It's certainly possible that some of them start separating themselves and climbing.
Yeah, I can't see any way Rankins makes it to the 3rd.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Keivarae Russell, ND CB, declined his last year of eligibility and declared for the draft. I'd project him in the 3rd or 4th round. Not exactly a stellar 2015 season after missing 2014, has the physical attributes but they don't always translate to the field.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I just watched Carson Wentz's highlight tape on youtube. Looks the part for sure and makes some sick throws. I'm very intrigued if he can last to the second. I'm sure he wont be projected their after the senior bowl

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
I want Goff or Lynch end of story. Last thing we need is some retread QB that is a walking media circus. Give me a legit QB prospect that hasnt been ruined by another team and let him learn. I also think the Jury is still out on Wilson and Linehan because we never give them anything at all to work with. Quit getting undrafted players and bring in a QB from a legit school.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
We could draft Goff\Lynch in the 1st and Wentz in the 3rd. Nah. What kind of organization would be that stupid?...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The good thing about our situation is we can take a Lynch or Wentz and have the luxury of allowing them the developmental time they need and we don't have to risk throwing them directly to the wolves.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I want Goff or Lynch end of story. Last thing we need is some retread QB that is a walking media circus. Give me a legit QB prospect that hasnt been ruined by another team and let him learn. I also think the Jury is still out on Wilson and Linehan because we never give them anything at all to work with. Quit getting undrafted players and bring in a QB from a legit school.
It took 2 weeks for Houston to coach up Weeden better than Garrett/Linehan/Wilson did in 2 years.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It took 2 weeks for Houston to coach up Weeden better than Garrett/Linehan/Wilson did in 2 years.
I see your point but I don't know how much was player coaching as opposed to game plan strategy. I watched Weeden his entire college career and he had the arm and accuracy all along. Bottom line however is the coach has to pull the trigger on how players are utilized. Garrett (or someone) doesn't seem to have that ability.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I haven't been around for a month. I want details. :art
Nothing really. Booze started liking him as a candidate to trade back into the 1st for and I've been saying that with his tools, if he has a strong Senior Bowl that he could rise to the point where we may have to consider him in the top 5-10. He's already been getting some buzz the last week or two as a guy someone like the Cardinals could take late in the 1st to develop for the future and I think Mayock may have called him a 1st rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom