Garrett on Hardy's Cowboys future: He's a free agent

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett on Hardy's Cowboys future: He's a free agent

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The NFL Editor
Published: Feb. 24, 2016 at 05:13 p.m.

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Dallas Cowboys received a lot of negative attention for signing Greg Hardy last year, and Hardy brought more negative attention to him throughout his season with the team.

It now appears his time with the Cowboys is up. We present one interaction between a reporter and coach Jason Garrett at the NFL Scouting Combine on Wednesday.

Q: "What is the status of Greg Hardy?"

Garrett: "He's a free agent."

(Cold stare.)

(Awkward silence. Conversation over.)

Hardy lost support throughout the Cowboys organization during a tumultuous season during which he combined impact play with constant reminders about why Hardy became a free agent in the first place.

Garrett's words Wednesday weren't hard to translate for deeper meaning. He said in so many words that he's done talking about Hardy because he's done coaching Hardy. He will be some other team's problem now.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Hardy lost support throughout the Cowboys organization during a tumultuous season during which he combined very little impact play with constant reminders about why Hardy became a free agent in the first place.
Fixed!

Outside of the NE game, he was crap on toast.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
You forget the Seattle game, set us up for the game winning TD so that Garrett could play for the FG and ignore the existence of the end zone.
Dude had 6 sacks for his entire playing time. And his presence didn't let others get less attention. Teams were able to control him pretty much, 1 on 1. Did he back off the throttle once he realized the head coach was a pusc? Possible.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Saw on another board where 105.3 was claiming that Hardy ridiculed and called out Garrett in front of the team?

God I hope that really happened.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Saw on another board where 105.3 was claiming that Hardy ridiculed and called out Garrett in front of the team?

He is now my favorite Cowboy player of all time.

In all seriousness though, sounds like made up bullshit...probably to capitalize on the fact that he's just some piece of scum ridiculing his head coach.

If that's the case, they would have already told him and everyone who would listen that he's done in Dallas.

They wouldn't be hemming and hawing about it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude had 6 sacks for his entire playing time. And his presence didn't let others get less attention. Teams were able to control him pretty much, 1 on 1. Did he back off the throttle once he realized the head coach was a pusc? Possible.
6 sacks in 12 games isn't that bad. Comes out to 8 in a season. Obviously I wanted double digit sacks out of the guy, but lets not pretend like 8 sacks from a DE is shit either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I don't believe that but Garrett has always seemed to have a grudge towards Hardy. Even during the regular season when Garrett talked about Hardy it was like he hated the dude. He was always quick to take the side of the media when they were being negative about Hardy.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
6 sacks in 12 games isn't that bad. Comes out to 8 in a season.
Okay well, it was what, four right off, when he was really trying? Then not much else not even any pressures, the rest of the way. he didn't come close to matching the hype, or the production at Carolina.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay well, it was what, four right off, when he was really trying? Then not much else not even any pressures, the rest of the way. he didn't come close to matching the hype, or the production at Carolina.
4 in his first 4 games? Yes

But there could be a couple of reasons for the drop off. One of which is that the guy had sat out for like a year and half from football. He may just not have been in playing shape and wore down. Additionally it's hard to stay motivated when your team is in a total free fall and out of playoff contention.

If we brought him back it wouldn't shock me to see him back in the double digit sack range next year. But I think Garrett clearly wants not part of that. It's just a question if he actually gets any say in that. I'm not sure Garrett gets any real say on the defense.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Speaking of ex-panther DEs, Charles Johnson looks to be a cap victim. I'd kick the tires.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah I don't believe that but Garrett has always seemed to have a grudge towards Hardy. Even during the regular season when Garrett talked about Hardy it was like he hated the dude. He was always quick to take the side of the media when they were being negative about Hardy.
There was one game later in the year where we got a big third down stop and Lawrence and Hardy were jogging off the field to either side of Garrett. He put out a low five to both of them and Lawrence gave him some but Hardy just completely ignored him and left Jason hanging. :lol If I remembered where I had that game recorded and knew how to make gifs I'd make one, because it was pretty funny.

Needless to say, my estimation of Hardy went up in that moment.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was one game later in the year where we got a big third down stop and Lawrence and Hardy were jogging off the field to either side of Garrett. He put out a low five to both of them and Lawrence gave him some but Hardy just completely ignored him and left Jason hanging. :lol If I remembered where I had that game recorded and knew how to make gifs I'd make one, because it was pretty funny.

Yeah I think there was a legitimate rift between Hardy and Garrett during the season. Obviously it didn't impact Hardy's playing time, so it shows you what kind of balls Garrett actually had when it comes to the defense.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I do remember that. I :loled

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I kinda hope they re-sign Hardy.

Maybe he'll be the wedge that drives Garrett away like signing T.O. did with Parcells.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

I don't appreciate your lack of effort.

Top Bottom