Archer: Cowboys' La'el Collins looking for more than just 'wow' plays

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' La'el Collins looking for more than just 'wow' plays

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – After last week’s loss to Green Bay, Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said La’el Collins played “lights out.”

If you’re judging that off Darren McFadden’s 45-yard run in the third quarter, then you would be right.

On a toss to the left, Collins pulled in front of McFadden, bowled over Packers safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and kept on chugging down the field. For a 315-pound guard, it was an impressive moment, and Collins has had a few of those during the season.

“That guy, he was moving, man,” McFadden said.

While pleased with his showing on that run, what stuck with Collins more from the loss to the Packers was his short-yardage work. Facing third-and-1 from the Dallas 10 on the Cowboys’ second drive of the game, Collins could not keep his feet against defensive tackle Letroy Guion, and Robert Turbin was stopped for no gain.

That came after Mike Pennel shot across the front of Collins on first-and-goal from the Packers 1 to stop help stop McFadden.

"Really, going back to that goal-line play, just blocking down that defensive lineman, understanding that I got to keep my feet up underneath me, not slipping, staying in blocking and finishing," Collins said. "Just really knowing that I can do that better, just continue to work on it. When you're down on the goal line there are a lot of things that you just can't allow. You can't allow a little bit of penetration. You can't allow even just a little bit of uncleanliness."

Jason Garrett constantly harps that he doesn’t want “flash” players. Since becoming a starter, Collins has made the "wow" plays that garner offensive linemen highlights on television. It’s the highlights in the coaches’ rooms that matter more.

"He's had those plays that are very impressive," Garrett said. "He has a really good ability to get out in space, block guys and stay on the move and block other guys. We've seen that throughout the year. Not every lineman is capable of doing that, so he's done a good job of that and those are important things to be able to do. He also has to improve on the play-by-play in the run game, in his pass protection. If you look at him over the course of the season he's improved greatly in those areas and he's maturing as a player."

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This only reminds me that Dallas has done a p pretty decent job of acquiring personnel over the recent years. It just makes it more obvious what a crap job the overall coaching staff is doing especially at the top.

townsend

Banned
This only reminds me that Dallas has done a p pretty decent job of acquiring personnel over the recent years. It just makes it more obvious what a crap job the overall coaching staff is doing especially at the top.
I agree with this 1000%. It's amazing that no matter how stacked this team gets we mainly just come away with excuses.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I agree with this 1000%. It's amazing that no matter how stacked this team gets we mainly just come away with excuses.
Stacked? Compared with what, I wonder.

These positions are suspect: RDT, Sam, Mike, Will (when Lee can't play which is too often), RDE, FS, SS, RCB, LCB. This is with an LDT not performing to his contract and a hired gun at LDE who in all likelihood is gone in 2016.

In case you hadn't noticed, this is the entire defense. Our single saving grace is Byron Jones, but as CB/FS he's barely making a dent in the overall problem. Lawrence has woken up lately, but he's been in a coma for most of the year.

No one can trust Nick Hayden, which puts Tyrone Crawford and in turn Sean Lee at risk and makes Randy Gregory or DeMarcus Lawrence even more ineffective.

Then there's the offense.

The OL is fine. They've had their bumps, but overall they're outstanding next to any unit in the league.

1st and 2nd string RB are average and below average.
TE#2 never sees the field.
WR#2 has never grown past his rookie production.
WR#3 is a niche player who should really be WR#4.
WR#1 is great, but is relied upon to be a fricking superhero. No one can keep doing this.
And let's face it, the QB can't play on Thanksgiving any more and there's little confidence in QB#2.

When Lucky Whitehead is a spark to your offense, you've got serious problems.

townsend

Banned
Stacked? Compared with what, I wonder.

These positions are suspect: RDT, Sam, Mike, Will (when Lee can't play which is too often), RDE, FS, SS, RCB, LCB. This is with an LDT not performing to his contract and a hired gun at LDE who in all likelihood is gone in 2016.

In case you hadn't noticed, this is the entire defense. Our single saving grace is Byron Jones, but as CB/FS he's barely making a dent in the overall problem. Lawrence has woken up lately, but he's been in a coma for most of the year.

No one can trust Nick Hayden, which puts Tyrone Crawford and in turn Sean Lee at risk and makes Randy Gregory or DeMarcus Lawrence even more ineffective.

Then there's the offense.

The OL is fine. They've had their bumps, but overall they're outstanding next to any unit in the league.

1st and 2nd string RB are average and below average.
TE#2 never sees the field.
WR#2 has never grown past his rookie production.
WR#3 is a niche player who should really be WR#4.
WR#1 is great, but is relied upon to be a fricking superhero. No one can keep doing this.
And let's face it, the QB can't play on Thanksgiving any more and there's little confidence in QB#2.

When Lucky Whitehead is a spark to your offense, you've got serious problems.
I'm always a little annoyed that when talented players play for this team they downgrade from elite or at least good to poor very quickly.

In the Garrett era we have Davis, Columbo, Barber, Felix, Austin, Free (twice), B. Carter, Spencer,McClain, Carr, Wilcox, and Hitchens all taking huge steps back. Every time a roster feels like it's loaded up, suddenly half of the standouts are no shows.

That feels exclusive to this era of the Dallas Cowboys, and I feel is caused by a lot of bad coaching.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'm always a little annoyed that when talented players play for this team they downgrade from elite or at least good to poor very quickly.

In the Garrett era we have Davis, Columbo, Barber, Felix, Austin, Free (twice), B. Carter, Spencer,McClain, Carr, Wilcox, and Hitchens all taking huge steps back. Every time a roster feels like it's loaded up, suddenly half of the standouts are no shows.

That feels exclusive to this era of the Dallas Cowboys, and I feel is caused by a lot of bad coaching.
The process?

Top Bottom