Religion thread...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
True. And? Although I dare say greed is the underlying culprit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
False religions have always been a major problem.
See, this is where religion rubs me the wrong way. My religion is right, and if you don't believe in it, you are going to burn for eternity! Wise up, you morons!

It's the same way I feel about atheists.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
False religions have always been a major problem.
Or people falsely use their religion to justify war.

I'm pretty sure that my hang ups have been gone over a bunch here on this subject. Lots of people hate what they think is Christianity but what they really hate is people who are clueless about the teachings of Jesus and use Christiantity to push an agenda forward or be a jackass.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
See, this is where religion rubs me the wrong way. My religion is right, and if you don't believe in it, you are going to burn for eternity! Wise up, you morons!

It's the same way I feel about atheists.
It can be confusing but it's too easy to make generalizations and lump all in the same boat.

townsend

Banned
Religion is just the most boring nerd culture in existence. They memorize a bunch of useless trivia, argue about canon and continuity, and threaten to set women on fire.

The only thing that separates Catholicisn from Doctor Who was that one was infiltrated by a bunch of dicks who appointed themselves leaders. The more authority an organization's leader wields the more likely they are to be a bunch of crazy violent dickheads.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Religion is just the most boring nerd culture in existence. They memorize a bunch of useless trivia, argue about canon and continuity, and threaten to set women on fire.

The only thing that separates Catholicisn from Doctor Who was that one was infiltrated by a bunch of dicks who appointed themselves leaders. The more authority an organization's leader wields the more likely they are to be a bunch of crazy violent dickheads.
There is obviously a segment of the religious population you have little or no knowledge of judging from your depictions.

townsend

Banned
There is obviously a segment of the religious population you have little or no knowledge of judging from your depictions.
don't get me wrong, there's also nice guys doing good stuff. I'm not particularly against religion, anything that can help people build a community from the resurrection of the son of God, to homoerotic Kirk/Picard fan fiction is worthwhile. But religion's greatest flaw is its marriage to authoritarianism.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
don't get me wrong, there's also nice guys doing good stuff. I'm not particularly against religion, anything that can help people build a community from the resurrection of the son of God, to homoerotic Kirk/Picard fan fiction is worthwhile. But religion's greatest flaw is its marriage to authoritarianism.
But that is the basis of religion. Virtually all identify a supreme authority.

townsend

Banned
But that is the basis of religion. Virtually all identify a supreme authority.
True, but nobody should actually get to speak for that authority. God doesn't have an established chain of command. All the worst shit happens when leaders attempt to pass their personal convictions off as the will of God.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
True, but nobody should actually get to speak for that authority. God doesn't have an established chain of command. All the worst shit happens when leaders attempt to pass their personal convictions off as the will of God.
I don't agree with everything in this post but much of it I do. Particularly the bolded part. This is why we can be friends.

townsend

Banned
I don't agree with everything in this post but much of it I do. Particularly the bolded part. This is why we can be friends.
That's the part I beleive the most. Being an agnostic I'll argue for or against religion on a regular basis. It's neither the most good or the most evil thing in the world. And even if it is all a lie, the world's still better with religion than without.

I just think we overstate its importance in world events, heinous organizations, and benevolent charities. All of those things can and have existed without anyone subscribing to a particular mythology.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

Wut?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That's the part I beleive the most. Being an agnostic I'll argue for or against religion on a regular basis. It's neither the most good or the most evil thing in the world. And even if it is all a lie, the world's still better with religion than without.

I just think we overstate its importance in world events, heinous organizations, and benevolent charities. All of those things can and have existed without anyone subscribing to a particular mythology.
I think I might love you right now.

Top Bottom