Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant says he's misunderstood, not a ‘me guy’

Jiggyfly

Banned

BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
chill@star-telegram.com

Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant declined to answer questions Thursday about quarterback Tony Romo's progress because he feels the media continues to twist his words.

What he wants known is that he believes the Cowboys (7-1) could win with either Romo or Dak Prescott.

He's currently all in with the hot rookie because the team is on a roll and winning, riding a seven-game streak into Sunday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Any suggestions that Bryant would prefer a quarterback change because his production is down are false, off base and a product of people who don't know who he is or what he is all about.

He said he was taught to be team-oriented at Lufkin High School under legendary coach John Outlaw and he has never been a “me” player caring only about stats.

"I feel like I have been misunderstood for so long," Bryant said. "People can think what ever they want to think. I know who I am. Like I said at the beginning of the season, I really don't suppose to be in the league right now, according to a lot of people. But I'm here.

“A lot people try to say I'm a 'me me me' guy. That's never been. That's not how I was taught. We care for one another. We want to see everybody do good. And that's been going on around this locker room and I love every bit of it. It can only make you better. It so crazy you can be 7-1 and somebody wants to come through and try to break that up. But it's not going to happen. It's too strong here."

Bryant is fourth on the team with 16 catches for 282 yards and two touchdowns largely because he missed three games with a hairline fracture in his knee and the attention he draws from opposing defenses when he has been on the field, opening things up for Cole Beasley and Jason Witten in the middle of the field. Beasley has 43 receptions. Witten has 38.

As coach Jason Garrett points out, the way they use Prescott on the move opens things up more for the inside receivers.

Bryant believes his time is going to come again with big games. But he continues to reiterate that he likes winning more than personal production.

Of his 17 career 100-yard games, the Cowboys are 9-8 and that includes a 4-0 mark during the 2014 season when they went 12-4.

Of the 32 games he's had with six more catches, the Cowboys are 17-15.

"How many big games have I had and we lost? And I said, 'It's not about that. I don't care. We didn't win.' Same thing, if we’re winning and I'm not getting it, that's OK," Bryant said. "I know my time is going to come. When it comes, it's going to be big."

Bryant said the only reason he is still in the like despite his occasion foibles, as owner Jerry Jones likes to call them, is because he is genuinely a good person who cares about people.

"I feel like I'm a great person. I genuinely care about people. I like to see people do good,” Bryant said. “I've been around a lot of hate in my life. That's something I try my best to eliminate every day."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article114007628.html#storylink=cpy

hstour

Brand New Member

I haven't ever thought he was.

Sure he's a #1 WR in the NFL that wants the ball, but a "me guy," no.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dez speaks from the perspective of having dominated statistically for years. I can certainly see him wanting a championship more than anything else right now and doing whatever it takes to get one.

Hard to imagine a young Dez content to be a decoy, though.

Top Bottom