2015 Season | Week 10 Gameday Chatter | Dallas at Tampa Bay | 11/15/2015

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Exactly. Especially Jimmy. He seemed to enjoy sticking the needle into Jerry when he could. If he could point out that Jerry was in on game planning as one of the reasons he left, he would have.
Jimmy did say it... in an interview with Dale Hansen. He made it quite clear that Jerry got all up in his business towards the end. He didn't come right out and say that's why he left, but from what he did say, it was pretty obvious that was a huge part of it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Jimmy did say it... in an interview with Dale Hansen. He made it quite clear that Jerry got all up in his business towards the end. He didn't come right out and say that's why he left, but from what he did say, it was pretty obvious that was a huge part of it.
Also wasn't there an article awhile back about a gameplanning meeting being delayed because they had to wait for Jerry?

Cotton

Staff member
Also wasn't there an article awhile back about a gameplanning meeting being delayed because they had to wait for Jerry?
I don't remember that specifically, but I wouldn't doubt it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't remember that specifically, but I wouldn't doubt it.
IIRC it was sometime during 2012 after Jones had remanded Garretts benching of Felix for fumbling returns

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If you use that logic then you would use the owner of the Patriots, as an example, as the reason for their record rather than Bellichek as the primary reason. Owners get credit for a lot of things in the organization but coaching isn't in the mix as a rule. Otherwise Jones gets credit for the Super Bowls rather than Johnson.
Of course an owner get some credit for hiring knowledgeable and capable football people and letting them run the operations.

And the owner gets blame for sticking with them when it's obvious that those whom he put in charge are not capable.

Cotton

Staff member
Probably the biggest thing that bothered me about the game was it sure seems like even Dez has given up. That last play he didn't even try for the ball. He just instantly called for a flag. Very disappointing to say the least.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Probably the biggest thing that bothered me about the game was it sure seems like even Dez has given up. That last play he didn't even try for the ball. He just instantly called for a flag. Very disappointing to say the least.
I've heard analysts saying that he couldn't time his jump for the ball right because of his foot, that it's still bothering him. If that's the case, he shouldn't be playing.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I've heard analysts saying that he couldn't time his jump for the ball right because of his foot, that it's still bothering him. If that's the case, he shouldn't be playing.
That and he did hurt his knee on the jumpball in the end zone last week.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think this is spot on analysis of Garrett. He's just there and adds nothing of tangible value.
Garrett is just Jerry's boy. That's why he's in there. It has nothing to do with him actually being a great coach.

I used to laugh when people would say, "I love what he preaches." WTF does that even mean? Talk is cheap. Every coach at every level preaches fighting and working hard and focusing on improving today. You get zero points for saying those things. You get points for actually getting your team to do those things.

Can you imagine a CEO getting credit for saying good things in the media while his company's performance is sub par? It would never happen. Shareholders would revolt and the board would vote him out. Like Parcells said, it's a production business.

Or at least it's supposed to be. Jerry has other motives.

Cotton

Staff member
Agreed. If he can't even fucking jump, he shouldn't be in there.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
To me Garrett is a no-value add in terms of providing anything tangible on the field, he is just along for the ride.

Garrett is not exactly a bad head coach, he's just not a good one, he just seems to be there, not really doing much of anything. With that said, he deserves to be fired for this travesty, although he won't because the front office will want to give Romo another chance for a year or two before he's done and they probably think there's no point to starting over with a new head coach just yet.
Been like that since day one, except then he was calling plays which was even a detriment. Last year when he had play-calling taken away we improved. He brings nothing to the table that helps this team win. Never should've been given the HC job in the first place except for the fact he was JJ's golden boy. And that's the only reason he has remained and will continue to do so.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You can use all of that stuff but don't expect a coach to come out and say " I can't do my job because Jerry is constantly in my business". They just aren't going to do that. Just use your head and read the articles. He has been the focal point of the Cowboys for years now.
The coaches I cited had already left the organization for some time and had no allegiance to Jones. The articles have no basis for their positions other than conjecture. They could not verify one word of their conclusions.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The coaches I cited had already left the organization for some time and had no allegiance to Jones. The articles have no basis for their positions other than conjecture. They could not verify one word of their conclusions.
There are plenty of examples in the previous posts in the thread.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If you use that logic then you would use the owner of the Patriots, as an example, as the reason for their record rather than Bellichek as the primary reason. Owners get credit for a lot of things in the organization but coaching isn't in the mix as a rule. Otherwise Jones gets credit for the Super Bowls rather than Johnson.
If Jerry limited his involvement to hiring the HC then you'd be correct. But that hasn't been the case since Jimmy left. And what has made it worse since that time is that Jerry has intentionally hired underwhelming HC's in the last 20 years so as not to be overshadowed like he was when Jimmy was here.
And currently we all know Garrett was hired to be OC and HC in waiting when BP left before we had a HC in place. And once Wade ultimately failed JJ had only one candidate in mind and he gave the job to his golden boy and we're now stuck with him.

Lately Stephen has been more involved, but our current situation with Garrett is all on Jerry. And that hire was never based on hiring the best HC we could, it was based on hiring a HC Jerry was most comfortable with so he could continue meddling without pushback.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
id bet we go .500 the rest of the way with a healthy romo. miami is a mixed bag but they beat sam bradford...if romo takes a few hits they might just pull him
Same. Probably go about 4-3 the rest of the way, finish 6-10 or even 7-9 at best. Miss the playoffs and draft outside the top 10. Another CB would just be icing on this crapcake.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't think Parcells or Jimmy would have had a problem saying that after they left.
And those are the two with the most power and control since Jerry bought the team. Jerry became more hands on trying to be GM and pseudo-HC after Jimmy left. Once we hit rock bottom with Campo he got desperate and brought in BP to right the ship. As soon as BP left JJ stopped walking on egg shells and went right back to being more hands on.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Agreed. If he can't even fucking jump, he shouldn't be in there.
I think that's just speculation on everyone's part. Dez put a lot of stress on his knee and foot throughout the game with all the starting and stopping and cutting and running.

I didn't see him limping at all so I doubt the foot or knee prevented him from jumping.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
I think that's just speculation on everyone's part. Dez put a little of stress on his knee and foot throughout the game with all the starting and stopping and cutting and running.

I didn't see him limping at all so I doubt the foot or knee prevented him from jumping.
I am leaning this way, too. I don't think he couldn't jump. I think he just didn't. He has given up. The rest of the team will follow soon, would be my guess.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am leaning this way, too. I don't think he couldn't jump. I think he just didn't. He has given up. The rest of the team will follow soon, would be my guess.
I don't know if he has given up. He was pretty livid about the push off on that play. I don't think you freak out about the pushoff if you had just stopped trying.

Especially a play where 9/10 Dez comes up with that catch.

Top Bottom