Archer: Tony Romo looks 'fantastic,' according to Cowboys defenders

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tony Romo looks 'fantastic,' according to Cowboys defenders

4:45 PM ET

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Until Tony Romo gets on the field in game action, the biggest impression he can make is against the Dallas Cowboys' defense.

Romo ran the scout team in 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 work on Wednesday, giving the defense looks from the Pittsburgh Steelers offense.

“He looks great,” linebacker Sean Lee said. “I mean he looks like he hasn’t missed a beat. His ability to throw the ball, I always say I’ve been here seven years and I haven’t been near a football when he goes against us just because of how great he is with this eyes, how quick he is with his release. It’s amazing taking the time off, he looks fantastic, like he hasn’t missed any time.”

Romo was listed as a full participant in practice for the first time this season Wednesday, which is a sign he is closer to potentially being active in a game -- if not start -- for the first time this year. He was listed as limited twice last week as he continues to return from a compression fracture in his back suffered Aug. 25.

Cornerback Brandon Carr said Romo looked like he has “got some juice to him.”

The backup quarterbacks do not get any work with the first-team offense on Wednesday or Thursday. This season, Mark Sanchez has received on drive in each Friday practice this season.

“You’re getting a real look,” Carr said. “He’s a guy that’s going to look you off. He’s going to change plays at the line of scrimmage, like a real football game. You’re getting as close to a Sunday look as you can with a scout-team quarterback.”

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
:towel

You know he wants that starting job back badly. But he has to play good soldier for now.

If Jones & Garrett force him into the lineup while Dak still has this team rolling, I think they jeopardize having the fan base turn on Romo. Because as soon as he throws an interception or make a game changing mistake all hell is going to break out.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Jones & Garrett force him into the lineup while Dak still has this team rolling, I think they jeopardize having the fan base turn on Romo. Because as soon as he throws an interception or make a game changing mistake all hell is going to break out.
That is going to likely happen no matter what.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Um, WGAS? The fans can go fuck themselves.

The only team we've beaten with a winning record is Washington-- and that game was close. I know you can only play the teams on your schedule, but the competition has clearly been a joke thus far.

Washington (4-3-1)
Eagles (4-4)
Packers (4-4)
Bengals (3-4-1)
Bears (2-6)
49ers (1-7)
Browns (0-9)

The Giants team we lost to is 5-3.

Minnesota is a mirage, I think, but sooner or later you've got to beat NY, Atlanta, Seattle-- or maybe all of them.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We lost to NYG by 1 point. Had we beaten them they'd be 4-4, and you'd add them to the list of teams we beat with out a winning record. It's a dumb exercise without context.

The Bengals are 3-3-1 outside of our game. The Eagles and Packers are 4-3.

I'm not saying we've had a really hard schedule or anything but we've beaten several legit teams, including two of which we've beaten rather easily.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
We lost to NYG by 1 point. Had we beaten them they'd be 4-4, and you'd add them to the list of teams we beat with out a winning record. It's a dumb exercise without context.

The Bengals are 3-3-1 outside of our game. The Eagles and Packers are 4-3.

I'm not saying we've had a really hard schedule or anything but we've beaten several legit teams, including two of which we've beaten rather easily.
Exactly this. Beating the Packers on the road was no small feat. We have the second best scoring differential in the league, just two points behind the Patriots (and there's a big gap between us and the Eagles, who are third). This is a team that's playing extremely well right now, and there's no reason to make a change at QB until we stop performing at such a high level.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Facts are facts.

It might have felt like a big win because we've been so downtrodden, but since the Packers are 4-4, defeating them is the very definition of a mean feat.

The Bengals are worse. Reputations aside, neither team is very good right now.

"Legit" teams don't go .500 or worse.

In hindsight beating SF and Chi should have been easier, but we were still figuring out how to play.

We're very good, but we're still learning.

Outside of NY and a shakily played first game second half from Dak, we have yet to experience a real challenge.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Facts are facts.

It might have felt like a big win because we've been so downtrodden, but since the Packers are 4-4, defeating them is the very definition of a mean feat.

In hindsight beating SF and Chi should have been easier, but we were still figuring out how to play.

Outside of NY and a shakily played first game second half from Dak, we have yet to experience a real challenge.
Yeah, you're wrong.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Facts are facts.

So who would be a real challenge?

D

Deuce

Best scout team QB in the league. Looking forward to him being a healthy trade chip in April.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Best scout team QB in the league. Looking forward to him being a healthy trade chip in April.
Unless a team with an ass load of cap space wants him, nobody is going to trade for that contract.

He is more likely to end up like Peyton Manning.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So who would be a real challenge?
You won't get a straight answer.

Anyone that wants Romo, like right now, before Prescott has had the opportunity to play like total shit, is a Romo fan boy.

Plain and simple.

townsend

Banned
You won't get a straight answer.

Anyone that wants Romo, like right now, before Prescott has had the opportunity to play like total shit, is a Romo fan boy.

Plain and simple.
I'm actually really glad Romo wasn't healthy for the Eagles game. I think Dak might have been pulled before he had a chance to redeem himself. My big concern is that we get knee jerky when Romo's on the sidelines and end up pulling Dak in a similar situation.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm actually really glad Romo wasn't healthy for the Eagles game. I think Dak might have been pulled before he had a chance to redeem himself. My big concern is that we get knee jerky when Romo's on the sidelines and end up pulling Dak in a similar situation.
I agree.

Not saying that Jones is looking for a reason in game, but if there is a loss and Prescott plays like shit, Romo gets in there.

I just have a hard time imaging Prescott falling apart after a full half season of pretty good play. He got skittish with the blitz with Philly and didn't always use the best mechanics, especially with setting his feet.

Do we really think Romo and his old crippled ass will just dissect that blitz and slice and dice the defense?

Yeah, don't answer, because I bet Jones actually thinks that.

D

Deuce

Unless a team with an ass load of cap space wants him, nobody is going to trade for that contract.

Cleveland Browns, baby.

Or maybe Tony would be willing to restructure since he'd get basically nothing on the open market compared to his current deal.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cleveland Browns, baby.

Or maybe Tony would be willing to restructure since he'd get basically nothing on the open market compared to his current deal.
Don't see it.

Romo will want to go somewhere he can win. No different than Peyton.

The restructure thing is funny. Just don't know how doable it is.

townsend

Banned
Don't see it.

Romo will want to go somewhere he can win. No different than Peyton.

The restructure thing is funny. Just don't know how doable it is.
Maybe the Steelers can get him and then stitch the healthy pieces of Ben and Romo into one complete QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

13 mil against the cap? Is that really that bad for a starting QB?

Top Bottom