User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archer: Why give rise to the Dak Prescott dink-and-dunkers?

Quote Originally Posted by 1bigfan13 View Post
    Good lord, man. Did you not watch Brady and the Patriots prior to 2007? They weren't exactly airing it out. Yet somehow they managed to win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years.

Hell, as a matter of fact the YPR for Cowboys receivers/tight ends is practically equal to what the Patriots have been putting up over the past few years. So you can't even use the "it was a different era" excuse.
    They had a great defense and stayed committed to the run. Their terrible division guaranteed them the opportunity for a deep run every year. And they still barely won each Super Bowl, in fact I believe they were allowed to cheat in the first Super Bowl with all the defensive holding non-calls (let alone the fing tuck rule)

Dallas doesn't have anything close to a Richard Seymour or Ty Law, and the competition is waaaay better than the Eagles and Panthers were.

Against the Packers, Falcons, and Pats/Steelers we WILL need our offense performing at a very high level.

Good things happen when you sling the ball. Think Aaron Rodgers gets a TD before the half with a 10 yard Dak throw?

Within 15 yards of LOS, there are LBers, CBs and nickel/dime backs, safeties and sometimes huge linemen (zone blitz). Try walking around a minefield, let alone running around and catching a pass, without getting blown to smithereens. Now tell me me how many defenders there are 25+ yards down the field? Maybe two safeties. If we always send one receiver more than they have safeties...championship offense.

Quote Originally Posted by pdom View Post
    Good things happen when you sling the ball. Think Aaron Rodgers gets a TD before the half with a 10 yard Dak throw?

Within 15 yards of LOS, there are LBers, CBs and nickel/dime backs, safeties and sometimes huge linemen (zone blitz). Try walking around a minefield, let alone running around and catching a pass, without getting blown to smithereens. Now tell me me how many defenders there are 25+ yards down the field? Maybe two safeties. If we always send one receiver more than they have safeties...championship offense.
    Makes a lot of sense.

You have to at least TRY.

Championship football is just different.

Quote Originally Posted by ravidubey View Post
    If he doesn't want the media to give voice to something, it's best to leave it out of the title of his own article!

As for dink/dunk, I've called it dink/Dak, but you could also call it pass to "subdue". It's where we aim for 15+ gains that somehow reach a max of 20 yards and gain more than 25 yards mainly by accident. I've never seen a successful offense long-term built around this philosophy before.

I think it requires perfect execution and thus only works against NFL average or worse teams. It's a regular season cruise control kind of approach.

In Detroit we FINALLY went after the big play and the score showed the results.

Sure we've had some big pass plays throughout the year, but they weren't usually drawn up that way. It was Dak finding Dez in deep single coverage to beat a blitz, or Butler with a GB defender falling down, or Elliott breaking huge YAC on a screen, or Lucky Whitehead breaking away.

We didn't truly pass to kill until the 2nd quarter vs Detroit.

I want to pass to kill.
    You coulda just stopped with the first sentence. Hey, I like the throat grab with the bombs, but entertainment value reasons mostly. You can win exactly like they are doing it...the SuperBowl even. It may happen. I watched that second Cowboys SB with that offensive threat everywhere, but it was that defense and short/mid range pass that succeeded. Yeah, another era. But this team does have what it takes to win at that level. No question in my mind. With Dak. Or with Romo if called upon. Defense needs to rebrand itself as bad asses.

Quote Originally Posted by marsbennett View Post
    You coulda just stopped with the first sentence. Hey, I like the throat grab with the bombs, but entertainment value reasons mostly. You can win exactly like they are doing it...the SuperBowl even. It may happen. I watched that second Cowboys SB with that offensive threat everywhere, but it was that defense and short/mid range pass that succeeded. Yeah, another era. But this team does have what it takes to win at that level. No question in my mind. With Dak. Or with Romo if called upon. Defense needs to rebrand itself as bad asses.
    Listen to what this gentleman has to say. He is wise in his thoughts.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by marsbennett View Post
    You're right to cite the second Suprbowl. First off, I don't buy the "different eras" claim. Football was the same then as it is now.

Lineman size, LB speed, protect the QB rules, zone blitz, almost everything.

We were fortunate in that game to have had another dominant turnover-fest on defense. Hell James Washington alone turned the game around, let alone Leon Lett.

We don't have those types of playmakers on defense to win the game when your QB is still reeling from a concussion. Emmitt was great, of course, but it took a monster performance by the defense to win.

Hey maybe our D has a punchers chance of getting multiple back-breaking turnovers like that team did, but these exclusive 10-15 yard throws aren't going to win us three games in a row.

We have to unleash and put pressure on these defenses. They won't feel that with one or two carefully set up safe deep passes.