Sturm's Morning After: Why Cowboys' QB controversy is now a non-issue; Dez just isn't himself right now

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Romo has what two playoff wins? That is the deal breaker?
The point is that you can't just blindly use his playoff record to proclaim that we aren't missing anything without him. It's lazy.

Did Romo make Murray fumble in 2014, for instance? Because if that doesn't happen, we very well could have been in the super bowl that year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The point is that you can't just blindly use his playoff record to proclaim that we aren't missing anything without him. It's lazy.

Did Romo make Murray fumble in 2014, for instance? Because if that doesn't happen, we very well could have been in the super bowl that year.
Can't you make excuses for basically any loss though? Refs missed a call or player dropped a ball or defense didn't get the stop. The playoff failures for Romo obviously aren't all on him. It's a team sport and sometimes we forget that as fans and put all the blame or gratitude on the QB. But at the same time, Romo didn't do enough to win those games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Uhhh.... logic failure.
No logic would dictate that what a guy is doing on the field is what matters. Logic wouldn't dictate that an (R) next to a guys name makes him better or worse then the play on the field.

Genghis Khan

Can't you make excuses for basically any loss though? Refs missed a call or player dropped a ball or defense didn't get the stop. The playoff failures for Romo obviously aren't all on him. It's a team sport and sometimes we forget that as fans and put all the blame or gratitude on the QB. But at the same time, Romo didn't do enough to win those games.
I think you could say he didn't do enough to beat the giants in 2007, although you could also say that about the HC. It was also Romo's first full year as a starter (and that very significant and relevant detail is not lost on me).

I strongly disagree that Romo didn't do enough to beat GB.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

A bit off the topic here, but we lost that game due to 3 key factors that day, none of which were Romo or the Dez catch.

1. Stupid playcalling to end the half that forced us to kick a long FG and allowed GB to get points before halftime
2. Murray's fumble
3. James Hanna's failure to hold on to a fumble recovery that was right in his hands on the ensuing kickoff after we took a 21-13 lead.

If any one of those things go in our favor, we win that game.

That wasn't Romo's finest game, but we certainly didn't lose because of him that day.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
A bit off the topic here, but we lost that game due to 3 key factors that day, none of which were Romo or the Dez catch.

1. Stupid playcalling to end the half that forced us to kick a long FG and allowed GB to get points before halftime
2. Murray's fumble
3. James Hanna's failure to hold on to a fumble recovery that was right in his hands on the ensuing kickoff after we took a 21-13 lead.

That wasn't Romo's finest game, but we certainly didn't lose because of him that day.
Don't forget our defense not being able to get to a one-legged Rodgers. I agree, that one was definitely not on Romo.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But we didn't win because of him either.

Hell I'm sure the Lions look at their loss to us and blame it all on the refs on that call or non call. I just think it's easy to blame that stuff. But Romo certainly could have done more in that game as well. Again, not really trying to blame one player for the loss. But it seems like people always do that with QBs.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
he has been LiMITED in practice , not yet able to even fully participate. why would you even consider forcing the issue , when he's not physically ready to practice, much less get leveled by a defensive lineman ?
He is practicing. I am not forcing anything. I am saying there are huge concerns if Dak gets injured and Sanchez isn't an option. Get him in the system and start to condition him. There really isn't an option to getting him ready except putting him to work. The. Organization doesn't have the percieved luxury to take a relaxed approach. Why is it a problem to put him in pads and work on conditioning and practice?

Jiggyfly

Banned
He is practicing. I am not forcing anything. I am saying there are huge concerns if Dak gets injured and Sanchez isn't an option. Get him in the system and start to condition him. There really isn't an option to getting him ready except putting him to work. The. Organization doesn't have the percieved luxury to take a relaxed approach. Why is it a problem to put him in pads and work on conditioning and practice?
There is no problem that is what is happening now.

Maybe he is just not ready to be the backup.:shrug

p1_

DCC 4Life
hasnt your point been that Romo needs game time to be ready?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Dak hasn't given me an indication that he can't, but he also hasn't given me an indication that he can. The playoffs are a different animal than regular season. Look at Tony piling up regular season dominance but with only two playoff wins to his name.

That being said I trust the guy who has seen it and been there before.

Sorry, I just have a hard time believing a rookie QB will be good enough down the stretch against elite teams to win it all. It's nothing personal against Dak. I feel like a four time Pro Bowler still playing at peak performance has a better shot. It's not the same as Brady Bledsoe because Bledsoe was ass by that time, so while I wouldn't have bet on Brady winning it all, I wouldn't have even thought Bledsoe could do that. Romo I think can do that good.

if Romo shows after two or three weeks that he's not at peak performance, then my assumptions are wrong. Then put DAK back in, but I won't be expecting him to win it all.
So you're definitly voting for Hillary...

Genghis Khan

2. Murray's fumble

Ooh, I forgot about Hanna not recovering that fumble. That was huge.

data

Forbes #1
Dropping in The Catch gif here. Do we have to kick each other in the nuts with all this rehashing?

Gif fail...I lost it in the lights. Alrighty, turning down brightness and here we go...oops, bobbled the mouse. Shit, I've done this like 44 to 6 times.

Ban me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dropping in The Catch gif here. Do we have to kick each other in the nuts with all this rehashing?

Gif fail...I lost it in the lights. Alrighty, turning down brightness and here we go...oops, bobbled the mouse. Shit, I've done this like 44 to 6 times.

Ban me.
wut

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I'd say winning percentage is a far bigger indicator of playoff success then number of years played in the league. So yeah, I care about what guys do on the field and less about some fictional barrier. Unless there is a rule that says rookie QBs aren't allowed in the superbowl that I missed. Being a rookie doesn't actually prevent anything. A guy makes the superbowl because he either plays really well or he doesn't. Who cares if it's a rookie playing really well or a 14 year vet, doesn't make a difference.
There is no rule but to pretend like its not any obstacle for a rookie is equally as silly, but you've been an extremist on this issue all along so not surprising.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Could it turn out to work for the better? That is an absolute possibility. However I just don't see the need to roll the dice.
I fail to see why it would be a gamble of any kind.

If Romo fails, he fails. It will be easy to see if he's not cutting it, and certainly won't cost us a season in the time it takes to bench him.

Are you then saying Dak would return as a pumpkin?

That the rest of this incredible team's performance has been smoke propped up by Dak? If anything, it's the other way around, though Dak has been excellent.

It's not fragile. It's not.

Can you name any time in NFL history the scenario of "chemistry collapse" you describe has happened?

It hasn't. It won't. It's a completely made up thing that has no place in real decision-making.

Top Bottom