Sturm's Morning After: Why Cowboys' QB controversy is now a non-issue; Dez just isn't himself right now

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
if Romo shows after two or three weeks that he's not at peak performance, then my assumptions are wrong. Then put DAK back in, but I won't be expecting him to win it all.
The odds are against him performing at that level, and unless Dak hits a wall, I don't think you're even going to see Romo get those 2 or 3 weeks to show what he's got.

It's Dak's job to lose now.

If he plays well all season but doesn't play great in the playoffs and we're one and done, I can live with that. It doesn't mean he isn't a playoff guy, just that his first playoff experience could be too much. The same thing happened to Roethlisberger but he learned from it and we all know how his story has turned out.

Now, if Dak struggles for multiple weeks going into the playoffs, then I say give Romo a shot. But with the way this kid has performed up to this point, I feel confident that he's going to continue his great play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He has shown the poise of a 10 year vet many times. I see no reason to discount him in the playoffs.
Consistency is what you need in the playoffs and Dak has shown me more consistency then I can ever recall from Romo. Consistency and mistake free football.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The odds are against him performing at that level, and unless Dak hits a wall, I don't think you're even going to see Romo get those 2 or 3 weeks to show what he's got.
I don't agree the odds are against Romo playing well. I think we would see just about the best Tony we've seen.

But it is what it is... I'm not gonna complain. But I would put in Romo rather soon to make sure he's peak Romo, cause if he isn't, then I do want to go back to Dak (though I would essentially feel like I wouldn't be winning the Super Bowl either).

If he plays well all season but doesn't play great in the playoffs and we're one and done, I can live with that.
You wouldn't be able to live with it if you thought Romo had a good chance to come in here and be elite.

Its all about the odds. Some people here think Dak is our best odds, some people think Romo. It's that simple. No one is right or wrong given each's resume, but you have to fall on one side of the fence or the other. I still trust Romo more and I don't trust that Dak can go all the way as a rookie.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You wouldn't be able to live with it if you thought Romo had a good chance to come in here and be elite.
You're right, I wouldn't be able to live it with it under those circumstances.

But see......that's the thing. I don't need to worry about that because I don't have a lot of confidence in a 37 year old, physically beat up QB who hasn't played consistent football in almost 2 years coming in and being able to play at an elite level.

So it's a moot point as far as I'm concerned.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rookies don't win superbowls, thus Romo must be the better option. That's what it boils down to at this point. It's a silly argument but that's fine.

Rookies also don't go 7-1 to start the season. Rookies don't have the second best QBR in football only to Tom Brady. Rookies don't lead one of the best offenses in football at QB. The guy broke Tom Brady's record for starting a career without an INT for god sake.

If you evaluate Dak based on a perception of what rookies can or can't do you're an idiot because he is already doing things no rookie has done before.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Rookies don't win superbowls, thus Romo must be the better option. That's what it boils down to at this point. It's a silly argument but that's fine.

Rookies also don't go 7-1 to start the season. Rookies don't have the second best QBR in football only to Tom Brady. Rookies don't lead one of the best offenses in football at QB. The guy broke Tom Brady's record for starting a career without an INT for god sake.

If you evaluate Dak based on a perception of what rookies can or can't do you're an idiot because he is already doing things no rookie has done before.
It's not a silly argument. It's a position that as a general rule is statistically correct. It's not a statement of who is better it's a probability matter. As to who is actually better who really knows but as a general matter an experienced Quarterback will fare better than a rookie QB.all things being equal.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If playoff record is blindly the criteria and we're ignoring context, then we should be playing Sanchez.
:lol

Yep.

For years, people have been screaming that it's coaching and shitty leadership at the top that is keeping us from winning playoff games. Shitty front office that doesn't bring in the right players, and shitty coaching that can't win with what the shitty front office brings in. But now that it doesn't fit their agenda? It's Romo's fault. The one guy that kept this team from being Cleveland south.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
No. I mean for more than a kneel down exercise. Actual playing time. Dak is about as honed as he can be for a rookie so it's time to get Romo up to playing speed.
you assume he's ready. he's still limited in practice. you're still acting like he's necessary for this team to be successful when it's been proven that he's absolutely not.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
you assume he's ready. he's still limited in practice. you're still acting like he's necessary for this team to be successful when it's been proven that he's absolutely not.
Quite the contrary, I don't assume he is ready. That's why he needs game time. Medically he is cleared and physically he has been working with the scout team but he need some exposure to the starters and game reps to get tuned up. And I am not acting like it is necessary for the team to be successful I am saying it is necessary in the event that Dak goes down.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Quite the contrary, I don't assume he is ready. That's why he needs game time. Medically he is cleared and physically he has been working with the scout team but he need some exposure to the starters and game reps to get tuned up. And I am not acting like it is necessary for the team to be successful I am saying it is necessary in the event that Dak goes down.
he has been LiMITED in practice , not yet able to even fully participate. why would you even consider forcing the issue , when he's not physically ready to practice, much less get leveled by a defensive lineman ?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You're right, I wouldn't be able to live it with it under those circumstances.

But see......that's the thing. I don't need to worry about that because I don't have a lot of confidence in a 37 year old, physically beat up QB who hasn't played consistent football in almost 2 years coming in and being able to play at an elite level.

So it's a moot point as far as I'm concerned.
Well, I just disagree.

Not the end of the world. Not like I'm gonna complain if Dak gets to the championship game and loses.

If he fails to win a playoff game I might suggest we were better off with Romo. But I mean, this is not like debating between a franchise QB and an average QB. I do think Dak is a long term starter.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

This is just as dumb as you are accusing others of being. So because Dak has gone 7-1, no one should be concerned about him hitting any traditional barriers.

Uhhh.... logic failure.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Spot on.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:lol

Yep.

For years, people have been screaming that it's coaching and shitty leadership at the top that is keeping us from winning playoff games. Shitty front office that doesn't bring in the right players, and shitty coaching that can't win with what the shitty front office brings in. But now that it doesn't fit their agenda? It's Romo's fault. The one guy that kept this team from being Cleveland south.
I think it's most likely been a combination of both.

GShock

DCC 4Life
It's like having a long time crush on a girl that's way out of your league only to surprisingly find out that she likes you too, and then against all odds having her in your bed one night......only to be so nervous and anxious that you can't even take advantage of it. :lol
You better not fuck this team.:nodno

GShock

DCC 4Life
It's Dak's now. If he get's dinged or something weird happens, it's good to have Tony there as a backup capable of winning a critical game. Hell, that might even be a playoff game if the circumstances present themselves.

But given the option of getting Dak playoff experience (good or bad), or throwing old, rusty, injury-prone Romo out there to face a playoff defense?

That's not even a close call. It's best for the franchise and for Romo that he sit, and pour his brain into Dak as much as possible.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is just as dumb as you are accusing others of being. So because Dak has gone 7-1, no one should be concerned about him hitting any traditional barriers.

Uhhh.... logic failure.
Yeah, I'd say winning percentage is a far bigger indicator of playoff success then number of years played in the league. So yeah, I care about what guys do on the field and less about some fictional barrier. Unless there is a rule that says rookie QBs aren't allowed in the superbowl that I missed. Being a rookie doesn't actually prevent anything. A guy makes the superbowl because he either plays really well or he doesn't. Who cares if it's a rookie playing really well or a 14 year vet, doesn't make a difference.

Top Bottom