Week 9 Gameday Chatter Thread | Eagles vs Cowboys| 11/8/2015

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Our Offense is from the early 90's our D from the late 90's...
What exactly did we expect?
I don't know maybe it's like fashion that it comes back around...

dallen

Senior Tech
We just finished up an exercise with extended hours...I was working 12-16 hours a day. Anyways, in the past I would stay up and just tough it out the next day...I will admit that I went to bed after halftime.
Me too. Had to get up at 4:30 today.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Play conservative... loss.

Open it up and get aggressive... Throw a ten point swing pick 6.... loss.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
I think we need to have a better feel. It's not an all-game one thing or an all-game other thing. Or at least it shouldn't be.

A few examples:

1. I agreed last week in Seattle when we kicked the field goal to tie the game at 3. We could have gone for it but situationallyit was the right call.

2. This week I agreed again with going for it on 4th when it was 0-0. I didn't like the 4th down play call but I liked the aggressiveness in that situation.

3. I didn't like staying conservative against Seattle after hardy got the pick. That's where you attack imo.

4. I also didn't like being conservative ALL GAME against Seattle. So that on that last drive, we were completely clueless because we hadn't given certain looks and seen what worked and what Seattle's tendencies would be against certain formations all game and so forth. That's a recipe for failure.

5. On the pick six drive this week, it's not so much that they were aggressive per se,but that's a situation where I think it wasn't warranted. We were tied with the ball around midfield. Rein it in a bit.

We need a better feel for games. I feel like we're off far too often.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Somehow people developed this opinion that Gregory was this awesome pass rushing beast. He badly needs seasoning.

There is no fix for this defense except to get bigger and more powerful up front, "quick twitch" be damned.
Top pass rusher in the draft, top five player, etc.....but in reality there is a reason he lasted til the bottom of the 2nd and it wasn't just off the field concerns.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Top pass rusher in the draft, top five player, etc.....but in reality there is a reason he lasted til the bottom of the 2nd and it wasn't just off the field concerns.
What were those reasons outside of character?

He had a high ankle sprain those are notoriously long lasting and he is a rookie, what exactly were you looking to see?

There is plenty to bitch about but there were enough flshes in preseason and in the 1st game to see he has "IT" as a pass rusher.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Garrett will never be fired this season but I think the front office looks at this team as having a 3 year window (2 after this season) with Romo, and I think that's just about how long Garrett will have unless we make a deep playoff run in that timeframe. If we finish 8-8 or worse next year I think Garrett will be gone, especially if Romo is injured again or looks like he is declining.
If they think Romo's window is 2 more years then Garrett will be here 2 more years. We all think he'll get a pass this year even though there are far more problems than just Romo being out. Even if we miss the playoffs next year I can't see them making a coaching change for what would be the last year in Romo's window. Unfortunately I think we're stuck with him. Jerry doesn't have the stomach for another coaching change and hasn't had the desire to hire a quality HC either.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN 11h11 hours ago
For what Dallas is paying Dez, I am amazed out how ineffective they can be at designing plays for him.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't know, Jery knows he has 3 years of Romo at most and the splash of getting a Payton could outweigh any Garrett loyalty.

As far as paying Garrett and Payton I see no issue, Jerry knows a couple of Superbowl runs would outweigh all of that, I never understood the tightwad Jerry takes anyway.
The talk on Dallas radio at the time was that Jerry made contact with Payton during his Bountygate suspension -- before he'd signed his NO extension when he was going to be a FA -- and when Sean told Jerry he thought he could get $7+ million, Jerry laughed and told him he better go get him some of that. Jerry may like Sean personally, but that doesn't mean he's going to overpay (in his mind) for him.

Jerry has never respected the position of head coach going back to the Jimmy days. The only time he's paid top dollar for a HC was for Parcells, and that was to get his stadium.

And as far as Romo, Jerry knew he was gambling on a total unknown for the bulk of Romo's career back in 2007. It's been nine years of Garrett now. Why would he change now?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
What were those reasons outside of character?

He had a high ankle sprain those are notoriously long lasting and he is a rookie, what exactly were you looking to see?

There is plenty to bitch about but there were enough flshes in preseason and in the 1st game to see he has "IT" as a pass rusher.
If he's still hampered by his injury to the point he can't make any significant contributions then they should probably get him off the field until he's healthy.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN 11h11 hours ago
For what Dallas is paying Dez, I am amazed out how ineffective they can be at designing plays for him.
It's a well known problem.

Look at how Pitt and ATL use A. Brown and J. Jones.....they make things easier for them by moving them around, running them off picks, etc. Rarely do we see Dez being used in that manner.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is the first chatter thread in the history of this board that I didn't finish the game chatting in. I had to set my laptop down. I'm not real sure why, to be honest. I watched the whole game but just couldn't stay in the chatter thread like I always do.

townsend

Banned
This is the first chatter thread in the history of this board that I didn't finish the game chatting in. I had to set my laptop down. I'm not real sure why, to be honest. I watched the whole game but just couldn't stay in the chatter thread like I always do.
Sometimes it's hard for me to come here after a loss. This is a site that's mostly made up of cynical types and pessimists. Which is fine when thing are looking mediocre to good, but when things get bad it's just too much.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think we need to have a better feel. It's not an all-game one thing or an all-game other thing. Or at least it shouldn't be.

A few examples:

1. I agreed last week in Seattle when we kicked the field goal to tie the game at 3. We could have gone for it but situationallyit was the right call.

2. This week I agreed again with going for it on 4th when it was 0-0. I didn't like the 4th down play call but I liked the aggressiveness in that situation.

3. I didn't like staying conservative against Seattle after hardy got the pick. That's where you attack imo.

4. I also didn't like being conservative ALL GAME against Seattle. So that on that last drive, we were completely clueless because we hadn't given certain looks and seen what worked and what Seattle's tendencies would be against certain formations all game and so forth. That's a recipe for failure.

5. On the pick six drive this week, it's not so much that they were aggressive per se,but that's a situation where I think it wasn't warranted. We were tied with the ball around midfield. Rein it in a bit.

We need a better feel for games. I feel like we're off far too often.
I agree 100% with everything in this post.

But the sad truth is, none of this is ever going to improve under Garrett. The guy has zero feel for the ebb and flow of a football game or how to handle momentum whether it's on our side or against us.

He had made zero progress in the situational awareness department. If he hadn't learned it by now, he never will.

This has always been a problem under Garrett and it always will be.

Cotton

Staff member
Sometimes it's hard for me to come here after a loss. This is a site that's mostly made up of cynical types and pessimists. Which is fine when thing are looking mediocre to good, but when things get bad it's just too much.
I think that may be a lot of it. After last year I really let my homer side show... like a lot. So, maybe I didn't want to hear how bad we suck. Maybe I was sheltering myself. :lol

Cotton

Staff member
With that being said, I am done with Garrett. 0-6 with only your QB out is unacceptable. That lays right at the coaches feet, and the head coach gets the ax first. But, if it were up to me I would hire another head coach and let him clean house how he feels he should. Do not micro-manage that process. Just hire the head coach and let him do what he deems fit.

Top Bottom