Thursday Night Chatter Thread - Week 9 | Falcons at Bucs | 11/3/2016

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think our offense walks all over them. Hell, TB put up 28 on them.
I agree that we should be able to score on them. I was just pointing out that I think they are better equipped to beat Dallas than the Seahawks.

The Seahawks offense has been a mess for most of the year and their defense hasn't been as dominant as we've seen in recent years.

Back to Atlanta....I think a game between the Cowboys & Falcons would be a toss-up. Two polar opposite offenses exchanging blows. I think that matchup would be a 27-25 type of game that could go either way.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree that we should be able to score on them. I was just pointing out that I think they are better equipped to beat Dallas than the Seahawks.

The Seahawks offense has been a mess for most of the year and their defense hasn't been as dominant as we've seen in recent years.

Back to Atlanta....I think a game between the Cowboys & Falcons would be a toss-up. Two polar opposite offenses exchanging blows. I think that matchup would be a 27-25 type of game that could go either way.
Oh, there's no doubt they would score on us. I just think the better offense wins that game, and I believe ours is better.

townsend

Banned
The good news is Claiborne should be back, if/when we meet them in the playoffs. I wouldn't want to face Julio Jones without him.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The good news is Claiborne should be back, if/when we meet them in the playoffs. I wouldn't want to face Julio Jones without him.
If you typed this sentence 18 months ago you'd be laughed off the board.

Funny how fast things can change.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, there's no doubt they would score on us. I just think the better offense wins that game, and I believe ours is better.
To me when you have 2 stellar offenses it comes down to who has the better defense. And ours has been far better this year. Right now our defense is in the top ten of both yards against and points against. Atlanta sits worst in terms of yards given up and 28th in terms of points.

It's why the Patriots are a scary a team. They have a dynamic offense with Brady and Gronk but their defense this year has been pretty good as well. Not in terms of yards but in terms of points given up the Patriots rank third. And I think most know my opinion of which is the more telling stat about a defense.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
To me when you have 2 stellar offenses it comes down to who has the better defense. And ours has been far better this year. Right now our defense is in the top ten of both yards against and points against. Atlanta sits worst in terms of yards given up and 28th in terms of points.

It's why the Patriots are a scary a team. They have a dynamic offense with Brady and Gronk but their defense this year has been pretty good as well. Not in terms of yards but in terms of points given up the Patriots rank third. And I think most know my opinion of which is the more telling stat about a defense.
We will just stick Byron Jones on Gronk again. Problem solved.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Obviously there is still a lot of football to be played, but man, the NFC looks like it's ripe for the taking this year. Based on what I've seen so far, I like our chances against any team in the conference.

I can't remember the last time that I comfortably felt that the Cowboys were the top team in the conference. Maybe 2007, but even during that season the Packers were right there with us for the entire year; and even though we beat them in the regular season I felt that a playoff matchup would still be a toss-up.

But this year I think our best football is better than the other top NFC teams' best football. On a neutral field I think the Cowboys would be favored over the other top NFC teams.

Now watch us lose to the Browns on Sunday. :lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crazy how absolutely despised that guy used to be. Hell even earlier this season I remember people ragging on him for not living up to the draft spot he was picked in. Now we all view him as a real asset to the team.

townsend

Banned
Crazy how absolutely despised that guy used to be. Hell even earlier this season I remember people ragging on him for not living up to the draft spot he was picked in. Now we all view him as a real asset to the team.
I think he was playing at a Newman/Quentin Jammer level "didn't live up to his draft status, but generally solid" last year, but it's pretty clear he has hit a point where health/maturity/good coaching has finally pushed him to a point where he's finally living up to his athleticism.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Not sure I would call Dallas a stellar offense yet.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure I would call Dallas a stellar offense yet.
We are 4th in yards per game on offense. We rank second in the NFL in offensive efficiency. We lead the NFL in time of possession.

What else do you need to see?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We are 4th in yards per game on offense. We rank second in the NFL in offensive efficiency. We lead the NFL in time of possession.

What else do you need to see?
They are good but they have also struggled at times. Last weeks victory was a great comeback but they stumbled for over three quarters. To me this isn't stellar just yet.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are good but they have also struggled at times. Last weeks victory was a great comeback but they stumbled for over three quarters. To me this isn't stellar just yet.
460 yards of offense and 29 points against one of the best defenses in the NFL is pretty damn good by anyone else's standards.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
460 yards of offense and 29 points against one of the best defenses in the NFL is pretty damn good by anyone else's standards.
It isn't a consistent group yet. The receiving corp hasn't even solified yet. It's coming around nicely but there are still some areas that need to be developed to be classified as stellar. To this point the offense has done very well with their limitations in the receiving corp but it showed some areas that are not developed yet it also showed some areas of delevopment needed by Prescott. Granted the stats are good but parts of the execution is rough around the edges. As has been said by many coaches it is of no consolation that we were better in the statistical area.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah their defense is still hot garbage. And Dallas's defense will do everything they can to force the Falcons to dink and dunk the entire length of the field on every drive.
And chew up even more clock while Zeke and the OL punish that front.

Top Bottom