Archer: In absence, Tony Romo has added 'assistant offensive coordinator' title

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In absence, Tony Romo has added 'assistant offensive coordinator' title

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Last week Scott Linehan joked Tony Romo has added the assistant offensive coordinator title since suffering a broken left collarbone.

In a couple of weeks Romo will lose that title and go back to just being the Dallas Cowboys quarterback. This week Romo has been able to return to practice, throwing during individual drills without taking 11-on-11 snaps.

During his absence with the injury Romo has stayed as engaged as possible, and not only with the offense. He has also been spotted talking to defensive players and has had the ability to listen to the defensive calls during the games.

“Tony is as competitive a guy as i have ever been around,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He is so engaged. He is so interested in what is going on. He is a really smart football player. He understands situations. He understands people. So we have discussions like that: What is going on, what we should get to. Again I value his opinion. We have been around each other a long time. We know each other well. He really, really knows football. He has helped our football team in his absence.”

At different times he has offered suggestions to Linehan.

“I told him if he keeps coming up with ideas I’m going to hand him that microphone and I’ll let him start calling plays so he can see how when he calls those third downs when they don’t work, see how that feels,” Linehan joked. “You have some full ownership on that.”

But Linehan said Romo has been a help to Matt Cassel and Brandon Weeden in between series.

“It’s hard when you’re not playing,” Linehan said. “You can’t really influence the approach from an expectation standpoint from what you’re going to do as a player but you can certainly help the quarterbacks with the mindset, what we’re thinking when we get in this situation.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Great, so Tony will be the next guy who Jerry can't wait to sign on as HC.

After making him the highest paid QB coach in the league, of course.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So does Tony subscribe to the school of thought that we don't take chances down the field? I bet not.

dallen

Senior Tech

After making him the highest paid QB coach in the league, of course.
As a guy that built himself up from Eastern Illinois he'd probably make a pretty decent QB coach

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Last week Scott Linehan joked Tony Romo has added the assistant offensive coordinator title since suffering a broken left collarbone.
Passive-aggressively passing the blame for an 0-5 offense?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Better him than Ginger. Let's get this process started.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is winless as an assistant pretend OC. Sorry Tony, but you suck.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think this is a backhanded way of saying Tony hasn't liked the play calling either.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I can see Rpmp going into coaching once his career is over. Don't know if he'd be a good coach or not.

It's a lot easier to see him coaching than doing commentary.

Joe Buck: Whoa Tony! That was a vicious hit that Hardy laid on that guy!

Romo: Well Joe, If that's worst thing that ever happens...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I can see Rpmp going into coaching once his career is over. Don't know if he'd be a good coach or not.

It's a lot easier to see him coaching than doing commentary.

Joe Buck: Whoa Tony! That was a vicious hit that Hardy laid on that guy!

Romo: Well Joe, If that's worst thing that ever happens...
I don't know about that. I could see him doing consulting type coaching, but real coaches put in tons of hours. For a guy like Rpmp who has made 100 million plus dollars it's hard to make that kind of commitment.

I could see him trying the PGA tour though.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I don't know about that. I could see him doing consulting type coaching, but real coaches put in tons of hours. For a guy like Rpmp who has made 100 million plus dollars it's hard to make that kind of commitment.

I could see him trying the PGA tour though.
:lol Didn't even notice that typo.

I never even thought about the PGA. Not sure his back could handle it.

As far as his commitment goes, well, I think his competitive juices would keep him committed.

His biggest problem with coaching would be his gunslinger attitude. He'd try to bring that to his coaching which result in too many passes. He'd probably be a Mike Martz type coach. I can also see him as a Sean Peyton type. He'd just need a strong head coach to reign him in like Parcells and Fossil did with Peyton.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
LOL Tony isn't even close to being able to play professional golf.

Maybe if he busted his ass for ten years he could make the senior tour at age 50. Maybe.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why would Romo being a coach be a great idea?

Not pretending I know a player can do it, but there is always the desire to have the greats do the same as a coach.

Takes a special type to throttle back and be a successful coach.

Then again, he could simply breathe and be 100,000,000,000,000,000 times better than Wade Wilson.

So he has that going for him, which is nice.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Why would Romo being a coach be a great idea?

Not pretending I know a player can do it, but there is always the desire to have the greats do the same as a coach.

Takes a special type to throttle back and be a successful coach.

Then again, he could simply breathe and be 100,000,000,000,000,000 times better than Wade Wilson.

So he has that going for him, which is nice.
I never said he'd be a good coach. Just a better coach than commentator.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
LOL Tony isn't even close to being able to play professional golf.

Maybe if he busted his ass for ten years he could make the senior tour at age 50. Maybe.
I said TRYING to play. Or at least trying to play as competitively as possible.

Top Bottom