Archer: Cowboys CB Morris Claiborne facing surgery for sports hernia

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys CB Morris Claiborne facing surgery for sports hernia
11:01 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne is looking at a prolonged absence because of a sports hernia suffered in Sunday's overtime win against the Philadelphia Eagles, according to sources.

Claiborne could need surgery to repair the injury but it would not necessarily end his season. In 2008, cornerback Terence Newman had surgery for a similar injury and returned after six weeks.

Claiborne went down with 59 seconds left in regulation as he was turning to run on a play that ended in a sack of Carson Wentz. After the game Claiborne was hopeful the injury was not too serious but said he never dealt with a groin injury before.

If the Cowboys place Claiborne on injured reserve, he would be eligible to return for the regular-season finale. Considering safety Barry Church suffered a fractured forearm, it would be difficult for the Cowboys to carry two injured members of their secondary on the 53-man roster.

Claiborne suffered a concussion Oct. 16 against the Green Bay Packers but was aided by the team's bye last week in being able to play against the Eagles.

Orlando Scandrick returned Sunday after a month-long absence because of hamstring strains to both legs and would move into a full-time role in Claiborne's absence. The only other cornerback on the 53-man roster is rookie Anthony Brown, who replaced Claiborne as an outside corner against the Eagles with Scandrick working the slot.

Claiborne has missed games with concussion, hamstring, knee and ankle injuries over the years. He was having his best season, entering Sunday's game with 31 tackles, according to the coaches' breakdown, two tackles for loss, one interception, four pass deflections and a fumble recovery. Unofficially he was credited with four tackles Sunday.

The Cowboys have two cornerbacks, Sammy Seamster and Leon McFadden, on the practice squad. McFadden joined the team last week.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That is why we need to be very careful about the money we give him.

Not only is his good play a small sample size, but his injury history has to be taken into account.

I try to bring him back on a on year deal but I'm not matching an offer if someone tries to come in and give the guy 40-plus million like some of these corners are getting.

Hopefully he has the surgery and comes back in December.

townsend

Banned
That is why we need to be very careful about the money we give him.

Not only is his good play a small sample size, but his injury history has to be taken into account.

I try to bring him back on a on year deal but I'm not matching an offer if someone tries to come in and give the guy 40-plus million like some of these corners are getting.

Hopefully he has the surgery and comes back in December.
Yeah, I think we should sign him to a short term deal like we've done with our backup RBs. Couple of years, incentive laden, with the understanding that they are a hedge, not the solution, at the position.

townsend

Banned
We really lucked out that Scandrick just got healthy, and that Brown has caught up so quickly. The DB coaching on this team has caused a 180 degree shift in the position. In the offseason it looked like our starters weren't good enough to start, now we have backups holding up really well.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Mo has been playing well, but Brown has looked solid so maybe it won't be a big drop off.

They are saying Church can play with a cast.

Cotton

Staff member
Mo has been playing well, but Brown has looked solid so maybe it won't be a big drop off.

They are saying Church can play with a cast.
It's sounding like Church is out 3-5 weeks. Then can play in cast, yeah.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's sounding like Church is out 3-5 weeks. Then can play in cast, yeah.
Sucks but I think we will be ok without them. Wilcox will fill in for Church just fine. We just won't use as many 3 safety looks.

Scandrick looked great against Philly. If he is healthy he is an excellent starting corner and Brown has filled in very well as a third corner. So I don't see much of a drop off there either.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sucks but I think we will be ok without them. Wilcox will fill in for Church just fine. We just won't use as many 3 safety looks.

Scandrick looked great against Philly. If he is healthy he is an excellent starting corner and Brown has filled in very well as a third corner. So I don't see much of a drop off there either.
It may not be a drop in performance but it certainly creates a depth problem.

Cotton

Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Sucks if he will be out for an extended period, he's played so much better this year. I agree that despite that, I hesitate giving him a long term deal based on the injury history alone.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sign him to a discounted 2-3 year deal and call it a day, let's say around 5-7 a year.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
We would dodge a huge bullet if Mo's injury is just a tear and not an actual hernia.

shane

DCC 4Life
Let's just hope he is back and is playing in top form again by the playoffs. Letting him walk if he commands a big payday won't be the worst thing.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
As well as he has been playing for awhile the guy can't stay healthy. Walk away at the end of the year.

dallen

Senior Tech
May work out for the best if we can sign him back on a discounted deal. Sucks that we lose Claiborne as soon as Scandrick is back, but Anthony Brown has been playing very well anyway. Church is going to be the bigger loss. Look forward to plenty of Wilcox and Heath

Cotton

Staff member
May work out for the best if we can sign him back on a discounted deal. Sucks that we lose Claiborne as soon as Scandrick is back, but Anthony Brown has been playing very well anyway. Church is going to be the bigger loss. Look forward to plenty of Wilcox and Heath
Yep.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Agreed. I worry about this D getting beat deep with Church out (starting this week if Corey Coleman is back for the Browns).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. I worry about this D getting beat deep with Church out (starting this week if Corey Coleman is back for the Browns).
I actually think we have been using Wilcox a lot as our deep safety. Oddly enough he does better in that role then Church. It's the coming up and tackling that he whiffs on more often then Church.

Top Bottom