Eagles Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stop the run, beat the Philadelphia Eagles

Jean-Jacques Taylor, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- During Chip Kelly's tenure as the Philadelphia Eagles' coach, the formula to determine whether the Dallas Cowboys win or lose against Philly is pretty simple.

Hold the edges and stop the run, and the Cowboys win. Get whipped on the outside and let the Eagles run wild and Philadelphia rolls.

The Cowboys are 3-2 against Kelly’s Eagles. In the Cowboys wins, the Eagles average 58.6 yards rushing and 13.3 points per game.

In September, the Cowboys held Philadelphia to seven yards on 17 carries. DeMarco Murray? He had 13 carries for two yards.

But in the Eagles’ two wins under Kelly, they have averaged 196.5 yards rushing and 28.5 points per game. Former Eagles running back LeSean McCoy had games of 25 carries for 159 yards and 27 carries for 131 yards in the two wins.

“We have to hold the edge,” Jeremy Mincey said. “We do that, and we win the game. But you could say that almost any week. It’s always about holding the edge and stopping the run.”

But it tends to be harder to do against the Eagles because of their fast-paced, up-tempo offense. When defenses get fatigued, mentally and physically, they don’t align properly. Against the Eagles, that can lead to big plays when they attack the perimeter and their runners elude the first wave of defense.

McCoy created more problems in this offense than Murray because of his ability to make the first defender miss. Murray rarely does that. He’s a physical, one-cut runner, which means he probes the line for a hole and makes a decisive cut and accelerates through it as soon as he sees it.

“We know where DeMarco is going to be,” Mincey said. “He’s going downhill and he’s going to bring it. We just have to play disciplined and have a lot of guys around the ball."

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:lol

Even if you didnt at least come up with something. That just makes him look like an idiot.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Kelly bristles pretty strongly when his decisions are questioned, so that answer probably has more to do with that. He's been criticized locally for not having drafted an offensive lineman since Lane Johnson in 2013, and given the struggles of their linemen it's a legit criticism.

So his response there is likely more him saying, "our offensive line is fine, I'm a good GM, you guys don't know what you're talking about."

It also could be a defense of his "culture beats scheme/talent" mantra.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
You didn't have any interest in a first round guard?

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys have a far different look in rematch vs. Eagles

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – When Chip Kelly looks at the Philadelphia Eagles’ Week 2 loss to the Dallas Cowboys, he might not recognize what has become of this week’s opponent.

“I think the additions of the new guys on defense and not having Tony (Romo), it’ll be a slightly different team,” Eagles coach Chip Kelly said.

Slightly?

The Cowboys’ starting lineups on offense and defense that beat Philadelphia on Sept. 20, looks far different as the teams prepare for the rematch Sunday at AT&T Stadium.

There could be as many as 10 of the 22 starters in the first game could either be in different spots in the lineup or not playing altogether.

In the first meeting, the Cowboys opened up offensively with a three-tackle set and Charles Brown got the start. So did Gavin Escobar at one tight end spot because James Hanna was inactive. Mackenzy Bernadeau started at left guard with Ronald Leary hurt. Joseph Randle was the starting running back. Romo was the quarterback.

Defensively, DeMarcus Lawrence was the starting left defensive end. Tyler Patmon was the nickel cornerback and J.J. Wilcox was the starting free safety. Anthony Hitchens started at middle linebacker.

Only Lawrence and Hitchens have a chance to be in the base defense this week and Wilcox could start if the Cowboys open in their nickel defense. Jeremy Mincey started at right end against the Eagles but started at left defensive end last week in the loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Oh, in case you forgot, Matt Cassel will be the Cowboys’ starting quarterback for the third straight game.

The changes speak to how a team has to adjust as a season unfolds.

The Cowboys were 2-0 after beating the Eagles and haven’t won since.

Romo is out as he recovers from a broken collarbone. Randle was released on Tuesday. La’el Collins will make his third straight start at left guard. Greg Hardy and Rolando McClain were suspended when these teams first met but are back now. Byron Jones has replaced Wilcox in the base defense and Patmon in the nickel defense in part because of Corey White’s sore knee.

Dez Bryant didn’t play in the first meeting either. That was the first of what turned out to be five missed games because of a broken foot in the season opener. He is now back. Randy Gregory also didn’t play because of a high ankle sprain. He will play for the third straight week.

“You try to build your roster in a way that you can absorb the injuries that happen over eth course of a 17-week season,” coach Jason Garrett said. “I think the best teams are able to do that. It’s something we strive to do. But to think you’re going to have 11 guys on offense starting week 1, 11 guys on defense starting on week 1 and have 11 guys in all phases of the kicking game starting Week 1, and have them over the course of the season, it just doesn’t happen. The teams that are best able to adjust and adapt are the ones that ultimately have success in this league.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
:towel

Rape that mf'er, Linehan!!!

Cotton

Staff member

townsend

Banned
That man is about to get thrown onto a machine gun couch.

Genghis Khan

Johnson also says he has a chip on his shoulder from how poorly they played the first game, and particularlyagainst Lee.

Cotton

Staff member
Johnson also says he has a chip on his shoulder from how poorly they played the first game, and particularlyagainst Lee.
He also said that Hardy is lucky to be playing again, and that only his talent saved him.

He also called him a hothead.

Genghis Khan

He also said that Hardy is lucky to be playing again, and that only his talent saved him.

He also called him a hothead.
I hadn't heard that. Funny since Johnson is a PED cheater. Fuck that clown.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Eagles DL on Cowboys: They just whine, complain about everything

There's always a little trash talk before the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles link up.

And for the second matchup of 2015 between the two teams, things are no different. After recording five combined tackles against the Cowboys in Week 2, Eagles defensive lineman Bennie Logan is pretty bugged by how the Cowboys play ball.

“They just whine and complain about everything,” Logan said on Philly's 94WIP. “Shut up and play ball. I’m gonna hit you hard every snap. Stop complaining about this and this. That just bugs me. You’re a man. It’s football. Shut up and get hit and take it like a man.”

Eagles rookie cornerback Eric Rowe had more of the same to say about the Cowboys. Turns out he's not a huge fan of tight end Jason Witten.

“From the last game, I saw at least on the offensive side, a lot of them cried a lot,” Rowe said. “They also want a lot of penalties. I saw Jason Witten, every time he was covered he looked for a flag and complained and pointed at the ref. Couple of the receivers were looking at the refs looking for PI [pass interference]. Cry babies? Well, yeah if you want to put it like that.

Top Bottom