MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
I see. I will go see the Pirates about a CF.

kthxbai

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I see. I will go see the Pirates about a CF.

kthxbai
Oh, you're looking for a young outfielder? We have a surplus of those, too. How would you like Oswaldo Arcia? Maybe Max Keplar? Did I mention that while SS is Danny Santana's main position, his rookie year he played CF for the Twins and played very well defensively, while hitting .300 Maybe we could talk about Aaron Hicks. Eddie Rosario and Byron Buxton are untouchable. Sorry.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Oh, you're looking for a young outfielder? We have a surplus of those, too. How would you like Oswaldo Arcia? Maybe Max Keplar? Did I mention that while SS is Danny Santana's main position, his rookie year he played CF for the Twins and played very well defensively, while hitting .300 Maybe we could talk about Aaron Hicks. Eddie Rosario and Byron Buxton are untouchable. Sorry.
Aaron Hicks is a guy I like, but not for a player like Wheeler. Keplar...we can't do that, too many Jewish folks in NYC.

Your offer of Danny Santana has both offended me and hurt my feelings.

Good day sir.

dallen

Senior Tech
According to Evan Grant (Dallas Morning News), the Rangers are expected to hire former Texas reliever Doug Brocail as their new pitching coach and to promote AAA pitching coach Brad Holman to big league bullpen coach. The two will replace Mike Maddux and Andy Hawkins, who are seeking opportunities elsewhere.

Brocail, who pitched for the Rangers for two of his 15 big league seasons (2004-05), was the Astros’ AA pitching coach in 2015, after serving as Houston’s big league pitching coach for part of 2011 and all of 2012 and 2013 and then as a special assistant and pitching advisor to Astros GM Jeff Luhnow in 2014.
Not knocking my socks off here

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Not sure you need much when you have Darvish, Hamels, Perez, and Holland. While it's not the Mets by any stretch its the best 1-4 that we've had.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Not sure you need much when you have Darvish, Hamels, Perez, and Holland. While it's not the Mets by any stretch its the best 1-4 that we've had.
It is actually pretty good. Give Darvish some time though before you make him the ace again.

Rev

Staff member
It is actually pretty good. Give Darvish some time though before you make him the ace again.
Yeah I'm sure they will bring back Colby and have Chi Chi as well. That will allow Yu to work back in gradual.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm curious to see what the Cubs rotation is going to look like next season. The rumor mill will really start churning soon, and the actual activity will crank up in about a month when the Winter Meetings are held.

My earliest best guess is that the Cubs will be in on David Price but likely will not end up with him. He will cost $200M and I just don't know that they'll go that high after inking Lester for $150M+ last offseason.

I think they will get one of the bigger name free agent starters though and Jordan Zimmerman is a name that has been coming up as a speculative target for them for months. I would be OK with that but his price tag will likely be in the Lester range. If it goes much past that they probably won't get him either.

I think they will also either try to trade for a guy like Tyson Ross again (or someone comparable) and/or sign another mid-range vet starter like John Lackey.

Either way I see them adding two starting pitchers this offseason. Center field is going to be interesting too. Fowler is a free agent and may get more than they are willing to give him. They may end up trying to resign Austin Jackson or someone like that to a short-term deal and hope Almora pans out and is ready within the next year or so.

Rev

Staff member
The Rangers will send you CFer Leonys Martin for Jake Arrieta. Done deal.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think the Rangers would be a good match for Wheeler too, but they gave Andrus that big gay contract.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I get that they have Correa, but if that is truly how Hou sees him, then good for whoever gets him. He has some flaws...overly aggressive at the plate and sometimes makes some easy plays tough, but I think he is a legit starting SS.
He was in triple A for most of the year and that's with a 3rd baseman hitting 220, he was passed by another guy as the primary utility guy, so yeah he could be had pretty cheaply.

Rev

Staff member
[MENTION=38]E_D_Guapo[/MENTION] ..... Anthony Lapoce was named hitting coach for the Rangers. Only thing I know about him was he was with the Cubs. Should I be excited or are you in the same boat as I am?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
[MENTION=38]E_D_Guapo[/MENTION] ..... Anthony Lapoce was named hitting coach for the Rangers. Only thing I know about him was he was with the Cubs. Should I be excited or are you in the same boat as I am?
It is actually Iapoce, not Lapoce. I really don't know. Very difficult to measure the impact of a guy like that within the organization. I'll say this though...he did oversee the minor league hitting program and they got a lot of production from guys who started the season in the minors this year. Granted, guys like Kris Bryant, Addison Russell, and Kyle Schwarber have a lot of talent and were all high 1st round picks so the talent was there, but they were pretty MLB-ready when they came up at young ages.

I suppose you have to give Iapoce some credit for this but it is just impossible for me to say how much. He just isn't a guy whose name comes up real often, even for someone like me who follows the organization closely (the position he held is important within the organization but rarely is covered in the news cycle surrounding the team unless you are way more into following the minor leagues than I am). Honestly I didn't know anything about him when they hired him a few years back and I still don't know much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom