NFL interviews Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott on domestic violence allegations

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFL interviews Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott on domestic violence allegations

Tom Pelissero , USA TODAY Sports 5:54 p.m. EDT October 27, 2016

NFL investigators recently interviewed Dallas Cowboys rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott as part of the league’s ongoing probe into allegations of domestic violence made by his ex-girlfriend, a person close to Elliott told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not been authorized to speak publicly on behalf of Elliott, who learned days before the Cowboys’ opener last month he wouldn’t face criminal charges for any of the five alleged incidents.

In a statement Sept. 6, the Columbus (Ohio) City Attorney’s Office said prosecutors were declining to pursue charges after reviewing all evidence, “primarily due to conflicting and inconsistent information across all incidents resulting in concern regarding the sufficiency of the evidence to support the filing of criminal charges.”

However, the NFL – which has come under renewed fire in recent weeks over its handling of the May 2015 domestic violence arrest of then-New York Giants kicker Josh Brown – has continued to pursue the Elliott matter, as it pledged to do parallel to law enforcement in the aftermath of the Ray Rice fiasco and other issues in 2014.

Like Elliott, Brown was not criminally charged. The NFL still suspended Brown one game, then placed him on the commissioner’s exempt list and reopened its investigation last week after authorities in Washington released documents that included new allegations and admissions of abuse by Brown in emails and journals provided by his ex-wife.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy declined to confirm Elliott's interview, saying only that the league is actively reviewing the matter.

Elliott leads the NFL with 703 rushing yards.
-----------

Total bullshit.

midswat

... soon
The NFL trying to police its players, regardless of criminal charges or not, is ridiculous. And I'm not just saying this because they're trying to go after Elliott here on proven total BS claims.

I just really dislike the Goodell NFL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They fucked up the Brown thing because, well, Mara is stuck up Goodell's ass. Hopefully this is only silly posturing. If not, there is some corrupt shit going on.

data

Forbes #1
Soon, the NFL will be setting up traps with undercover hookers.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The difference between the two cases is Brown actually admitted to beating his wife. Elliot denied it and had multiple witnesses saying nothing happened. That, and the essential admission of premeditated slander from the crazy bitch. If anything comes from this I will be surprised and pissed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The difference between the two cases is Brown actually admitted to beating his wife. Elliot denied it and had multiple witnesses saying nothing happened. That, and the essential admission of premeditated slander from the crazy bitch. If anything comes from this I will be surprised and pissed.
No, the only thing that pisses me off is that the NFL is creating a distraction for one of our best players. Leave the man alone, I want him worrying about Philly, not some invented bullshit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Six game suspension....because Mara wants it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Probably just a token thing so the NFL can appear to really care about this stuff.

I'm sure they'll say the investigation was completed and nothing was found.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Here's what concerns me from PFT's article about it:

However, the post-Ray Rice revisions to the policy empower the Commissioner to suspend a player without pay if the investigation causes the Commissioner to believe that the player “may have violated” the prohibition against domestic violence, even if the player was never arrested or charged.

What a complete crock of shit.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
https://www.all22.com/dallas-cowboys/report-ezekiel-elliott-could-face-lengthy-suspension-from-nfl-investigation

The NFL did not look good last week when journal entries surfaced of New York Giants kicker Josh Brown admitting to abusing his ex-wife and other women.

It is now investigating Dallas Cowboys’ running back Ezekiel Elliott. If the NFL finds that he violated the domestic violence police, he could face a lengthy suspension, according to CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora’s sources.

Elliott’s ex-girlfriend filed a complaint in July, citing five instances of domestic abuse. Authorities in Columbus, Ohio dropped the charges in September.

According to La Confora’s sources, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was heard at the league meetings in Houston asking the leader of the NFL’s special counsel for domestic violence investigations, Lisa Friel, about Elliott. She reportedly did not respond to him.

In Brown’s case charges were filed against him in May 2015, but the prosecutors dropped the case. He was suspended by the NFL for one game to start this season, but police in King County (Wash.) recently released the journal entries. Also, information came out about an incident at the Pro Bowl where his wife had to be removed from his hotel room because of an incident.
This is complete bullshit if it ends up being true.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Well during the game yesterday they said the girl is cooperating with the league and doing interviews. I bet the commish and his Giants friends are chomping at the bit to ban Zeke from the NFL next week.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This is ridiculous.

The cops didn't choose to follow through, and it isn't because a situation like Hardy where he settled out of court.

They just know she was full of crap.

I find it very funny how this is happening now after they botched the Josh Brown thing.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
This is ridiculous.

The cops didn't choose to follow through, and it isn't because a situation like Hardy where he settled out of court.

They just know she was full of crap.

I find it very funny how this is happening now after they botched the Josh Brown thing.
What better way to ruin the Cowboys season and keep Dickerson's record out of touch than to suspend Zeke for bogus charges.

Complete horseshit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The NFL would have to be retarded to suspend Elliot. The NFL ratings are dropping and suspending the leagues best RB for an incident that was a joke and brought no criminal charges would rank up there with one of the dumbest moves.

If the NFL wants to know why ratings are down, it's because of them doing stupid shit like that.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, the maybe USA TODAY should change its name to USA A MONTH AGO?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ezekiel Elliott's accuser also alleges incident in February

1:44 PM ET

ESPN.com news services

Police in Aventura, Florida, were called to the apartment of Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott to investigate an altercation with a woman in February, according to a report in USA Today Sports.

The alleged incident involved the same [STRIKE]gold-digging tart[/STRIKE] woman who made a domestic abuse claim against Elliott in July, according to the newspaper, which obtained a copy of the incident report.

The accuser alleged that Elliott, who was in Florida training for the draft, had pushed her against a wall resulting in left shoulder pain, according to the report, which also said there were no physical signs of injury and no independent witnesses.

There were no arrests, and there is no record the accuser pursued charges, Terry Chavez, a spokesperson for the Miami-Dade State Attorney's office, told USA Today.

Earlier this week, Elliott said he was interviewed by the NFL about six weeks ago about the abuse claim made against him in July. He characterized there being "an ongoing investigation" but said he didn't really know what was going on.

Prosecutors in Ohio declined to press charges over the summer in a domestic violence case involving the fourth overall draft pick. In September, when Ohio officials decided not to file criminal charges, the Columbus city attorney's office cited conflicting and inconsistent information in evidence.

A police report said Elliott, who played at Ohio State, denied allegations that he assaulted the woman in July, causing bruises and abrasions. Three witnesses told police they didn't see Elliott assault the 20-year-old woman. Elliott said the woman got the bruises and abrasions in a bar fight.

After the win Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones sounded confident Elliott would not be penalized by the league. However, that was before this report.

"People that have a lot more information than I have have given him a total clean bill of health," Jones said. "I do know that all the real information that anybody has is that he doesn't have an issue."

Jones acknowledged having a conversation with Lisa Friel, who serves as special counsel to the NFL involving personal conduct issues, at the recent owners meetings in Houston. He called it a "good discussion," and said it might have gotten loud because, "I was having to talk over the music."

Jones' position is that time has elapsed since the incident and Elliott will not face any legal repercussions in Ohio. The NFL does not require the same burden of proof in its personal conduct policy. A player does not have to be charged in the legal system to have run afoul of the policy.

"I don't know that the NFL has a closure, has a situation where they've cut it close, which could be a frailty of the system," Jones said after the Eagles game. "As you know in law, one of the things in the Constitution is that not only are you innocent before proven guilty, you get quick addressing and then you don't get it drawn out. It has certain time frames and has a lot of economic limitations. So we have to, in my mind, just make sure that we inject that in the type of looking for information that we do in the NFL. But law has many, if you will a couple 100 years at least, working on through how you basically create some time frames, create how it's initiated, create what the circumstances are about. And several which pertain to the NFL and companies, they don't necessarily have to go by that. We have a different deal though. We're so public and our issues are so public that we don't afford some of the things for some of the players, other people involved in the NFL, that the law does."

ESPN Cowboys reporter Todd Archer contributed to this report.

Top Bottom