boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett not ready to name Kellen Moore starting QB
By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Dec. 20, 2015 at 09:09 a.m.
Updated: Dec. 20, 2015 at 09:21 a.m.

Kellen Moore isn't a long-term answer for the Dallas Cowboys' backup quarterback quandary, but he's better than Matt Cassel.

Moore threw three picks in Saturday's loss to the New York Jets, but moved the ball better than Cassel. While Moore's physical limitations are a liability, he gets the ball out quick and spreads the wealth.

Despite clear better play from Moore than Cassel, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett wouldn't commit on Saturday night to giving Moore the final two games to audition for next season.

"We'll go back, and we'll evaluate the tape, and we'll make the determinations and really throw out a roster as to who we want to play and how we want to play it," Garrett said, via ESPN.com. "Our focus is to win a ballgame, and the byproduct when you get to this time of the season with where we are, there's an opportunity to evaluate every player."

When he looks at that tape, we expect Garrett to conclude that he might as well stick with Moore. Now mathematically out of the playoffs, there is no reason to turn back to Cassel -- a free agent who has given Dallas zero causes to bring him back.

Moore garnered a modicum of praise from owner Jerry Jones.

"He has a lot of poise," Jones said. "He really knows the offense, not to say that Cassel didn't, but he has been in it more than Cassel has. He does have a better understanding. It's obvious that he has the instincts, very good instincts."

Moore doesn't have the arm to fit the ball into tight spaces, which were displayed on his first two picks. However, he's a smart quarterback who at least displayed the ability to spread the ball around and target Dez Bryant in the red zone.

In the offseason, Jones will need to address the backup situation behind Tony Romo -- perhaps with a high draft pick. For the final two games of a disastrous 2015, Moore should be the man, even if Garrett wasn't ready to declare the obvious after Saturday's game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just please lose out.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just please lose out.
I don't think they will have to try.

Rex Ryan will take out his frustrations on our POS offense next week and Washington will have something to play for in the final week.

Then Garrett can do something Campo could never do. Lose 12 games.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Rex Ryan will take out his frustrations on our POS offense next week and Washington will have something to play for in the final week.

For the next few weeks, I am a big Browns, Lions, Chargers and Titans fan.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I despise Garrett, but it's clear that they are playing hard but not necessarily getting results. So why did they quit on Wade, the ultimate player's coach, but not Red?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I despise Garrett, but it's clear that they are playing hard but not necessarily getting results. So why did they quit on Wade, the ultimate player's coach, but not Red?
I don't think they necessarily quit on him as much as people think.

I also strongly believe that Garrett backstabbed Phillips big time and sabotaged him with shitty offense once Romo went out. It is not a coincidence that they started playing better the second Garrett took over as interim head coach.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I also strongly believe that Garrett backstabbed Phillips big time and sabotaged him with shitty offense once Romo went out. It is not a coincidence that they started playing better the second Garrett took over as interim head coach.
Why then is Garrett sabotaging himself with a bad offense? It's clear to me he doesn't know how to utilize players or put together an effective system. He wasn't smart enough to sabotage anything. He is just inept.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I think those teams had more front runners on them and they were older so it was easier to half ass it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think those teams had more front runners on them and they were older so it was easier to half ass it.
It was a team full of players that had already been paid. Davis, Austin, Barber, to name a few.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Plus, everyone on the team knew Garrett was Jerry's boy and the head coach in waiting, and Phillips was just a placeholder. That's a different dynamic than what we have now.

Also, I think more and more that teams by and large don't "play for" head coaches. Maybe they do in HS and college, but these are mature grown men making more than the coach. Except in the rare cases of a larger-than-life personality with tons of charisma, like a Parcells, I think they play for themselves, their money, their career, family, etc.

Besides, in 2010 Austin and Ware and Crayton pretty much told everyone the change in attitude came from Jerry basically reading them the riot act and threatening them all, not from Garrett's new "leadership." Of course that wasn't the popular narrative so it got ignored.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

And Campo had a worse QB situation.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
The sad reality is that Garrett isn't going to be fired, and we all know it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We see how long this lasted. I guess Daddy Jones sat young Jason down and told him who the starter is.
Well played, Jason, well played.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We see how long this lasted. I guess Daddy Jones sat young Jason down and told him who the starter is.
Well played, Jason, well played.
Yep. Just like he did with Cassell who he just traded for. JG is just a clapping puppet willingly playing that role just the way Jerry likes it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yep. Just like he did with Cassell who he just traded for. JG is just a clapping puppet willingly playing that role just the way Jerry likes it.
With zero self respect.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And let no one forget he was a free agent last year coming off his best year, and if he'd wanted to go somewhere else, he could have.

Instead, he chose to stay in the nice, safe warmth of Jerry's shadow. He fully understands and embraces his puppethood.

Top Bottom