JJT: Cowboys ride Jason Garrett's winning formula into NFC's elite class

hstour

Brand New Member
If you look at where he was as a player (carrying a clipboard) in his coaching philosophy formative years, it was under Jimmy. He saw first hand how effective a DL rotation of basically 8 starter level players and the Great Wall of Dallas on the OL worked for those teams. How well a dominant running game helped the rest of the offense. How it beat down a defense in the 4th quarter.

I tend to do what I have seen work.

dallen

Senior Tech
The Eifert story is anecdotal and I'm not sure how true it is; and even if it's true it does not prove he wasn't still focused on OL heavily otherwise. I think he was certainly behind the Tyron Smith selection and I would guess Martin over Manziel too.

I think it's absurd to say with three first rounders in four years that he wasn't part of that concerted effort. He would talk all the time about how we needed a ball control OL and then magically it appears as soon as he took over as head coach. He certainly didn't walk into it because he was in charge before the first OL was taken (Smith was his first draft pick).
And people tend to forget Eifert is a pretty damn good player, and Witten isn't as dominant in the passing game as he used to be. I'm glad we didn't take Eifert, but it isn't like it would have been a totally idiotic decision. Instead of Frederick and Escobar (and Black Weiner) we could have taken Eifert and Laveon Bell or Jamie Collins. There are plenty of dumb draft decisions we've actually made over the years to hate on before we get to hypotheticals like what if we had wasted a pick on a Pro Bowl TE instead of using it on a Pro Bowl C.

dallen

Senior Tech
And anyway, just because he was upset we passed on Eifert doesn't mean he didn't want Frederick. That is just ridiculous.

Top Bottom