Is Leary actually better than Collins?

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think there needs to be a real discussion on who is the better player and at the very least who works better with this group.

Collins has more of the wow plays but Leary just seems to be much more in sync.

Collins will be a UFA after next year and I am not sure if he will be affordable after signing Martin, Leary might be cost prohibitive moving forward.

I would also look at having Collins and Green fight for that RT spot next year.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I guess a lot would depend on what happens with Romo. If his money is freed up then maybe we could sign one of them after Martin. Otherwise I think we have the three and go from there. It's time to start working on the defense.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Leary's playing great, but he's supposed to have a condition in his knee that could end his career at any point...or so I thought.

Would love for Collins to take over RT when Free's time is up, whether Leary is still here or not.

shane

DCC 4Life
I'm thinking we groom Green to replace Free, and let Collins or Martin go when their contracts are up.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm thinking we groom Green to replace Free, and let Collins or Martin go when their contracts are up.
Uhh, I think not.

shane

DCC 4Life
Uhh, I think not.
Frederick and Smith are the guys we need to keep on the line at all costs. Martin may get top dollar, and Collins could be better to keep around for practical purposes.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Frederick and Smith are the guys we need to keep on the line at all costs. Martin may get top dollar, and Collins could be better to keep around for practical purposes.
I'm not letting Martin go. At any cost.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
If we sign Morris Claiborne and this causes us NOT to sign Zack Martin, I will go back to hating this team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smith and Frederick are already locked up. So no concerns there. They aren't going anyway. Next up for a contract will be Martin.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Collins a better rush blocker; Leary a better pass blocker

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that is reversed Leary struggles more in pass pro because he has shorter arms.
It's funny because Leary struggled some in 2015 which is what prompted Collins to move into that LG role. I haven't seen any of that struggle out of Leary this year though. And truth be told he may have just been fighting injuries in 2015 which caused him to not play as well. Back in 2014 though I remember Leary just being a beast at times. I thought he was a borderline probowler that season.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I think Leary is the more polished player, and yes, better at this point. Collins' upside is huge however.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
It's funny because Leary struggled some in 2015 which is what prompted Collins to move into that LG role. I haven't seen any of that struggle out of Leary this year though. And truth be told he may have just been fighting injuries in 2015 which caused him to not play as well. Back in 2014 though I remember Leary just being a beast at times. I thought he was a borderline probowler that season.
But not against Philly's bigger d-linemen or Suh in the playoff game.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I would also consider testing Collins at RT. He may not have the talent of Erik Williams, but he plays with a similar mean streak.

.....except he doesn't ram his fingers in the mouths of defensive linemen like Williams did.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
According to Broaddus Leary was not good against GB and was our worst lineman, for what it's worth.

I think there needs to be a real discussion on who is the better player and at the very least who works better with this group.

Collins has more of the wow plays but Leary just seems to be much more in sync.

Collins will be a UFA after next year and I am not sure if he will be affordable after signing Martin, Leary might be cost prohibitive moving forward.

I would also look at having Collins and Green fight for that RT spot next year.
Wow, it's only Collins second season and only about 10 games as a starter if that. He did well last year and obviously his broken toe caused his problems this year. Give him a little more time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick are already signed through 2023. I would say they have already taken care of that through their prime.

Martin absolutely has to be next to keep line integrity. You can win for a long time with three OL of that caliber and then continue to fortify as needed with cheaper talent.

Losing Martin to sign someone like Claiborne would be prime idiocy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick are already signed through 2023. I would say they have already taken care of that through their prime.

Martin absolutely has to be next to keep line integrity. You can win for a long time with three OL of that caliber and then continue to fortify as needed with cheaper talent.

Losing Martin to sign someone like Claiborne would be prime idiocy.
We won't let Martin walk. I have zero concern about that. Jerry doesn't let his young perenial probowlers go. Plus having a stud QBaking $500,000 for the next few years givds us a lot of flexibility.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We won't let Martin walk. I have zero concern about that. Jerry doesn't let his young perenial probowlers go. Plus having a stud QBaking $500,000 for the next few years givds us a lot of flexibility.
Sometimes another team will pay outrageous amounts for a player they want.

Top Bottom