Archer: In switch to fullback, Keith Smith feeling some love

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In switch to fullback, Keith Smith feeling some love
7:18 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys return from the bye week, they have to get the ball more to Keith Smith.

He has generated a first down on 75 percent of his touches this season.

He has two carries for 5 yards and two first downs. He has two catches for 19 yards and one first down.

OK, we kid. A little. No, a lot.

A season ago Smith was a Cowboys linebacker. Now he is their starting fullback. That’s quite a transformation in less than a calendar year.

From 2013-15 Tyler Clutts was the Cowboys’ fullback and he did not have a carry. He caught only three passes in 36 regular-season games for 9 yards, but he did catch a touchdown pass in the Cowboys’ divisional round playoff game against the Green Bay Packers in 2014.

“If you look at it from that aspect we haven’t really given the fullback much love in the past years, with the ball at least,” Smith said. “So I mean I wasn’t really expecting it, but they know I’m confident with the ball in my hands with what I’ve shown in practice, even on the scout team that I can make plays. Just going to continue to keep my head down and when they call my number, gain their trust with these carries or catches is all I can really do.”

In an offense with Ezekiel Elliott, Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, Cole Beasley, Terrance Williams, Alfred Morris, Brice Butler, Lucky Whitehead Geoff Swaim and Gavin Escobar -- did I leave anybody out? -- Smith is not going to get more than a touch or two a game, perhaps a month.

But he knows his biggest job is to help Elliott, who leads the NFL in rushing with 703 yards.

“I feel like I’m Zeke’s big brother just because I have to keep him clean,” Smith said. "I mean it’s a little different than making tackles every week because you don’t get as much glory, but I’ve never really been the glory dude. I’ve always been under the radar, so all of that is just extra if I do get the ball. I enjoy lead blocking and especially when he’s balling, I mean we ball. Me doing my job is going to help him.”

There was a time when fullback was a glorified position on the Cowboys from Walt Garrison to Robert Newhouse to Daryl Johnston. Smith knows a little bit of the history.

“I’ve had people ask me, ‘Do you know who Moose is?’” Smith said of Johnston, who helped Emmitt Smith become the NFL’s all-time leading rusher. “Then I see that wall, that Pro Bowl wall [inside The Star] and I mean it’s just motivation, especially with the way our mentality is on offense. We’re just going to run the ball, so I mean as a fullback we lick our chops when we get to run the ball. That means we get some love. Getting to hit people, it’s always cool.”

Jiggyfly

Banned
He has been pretty good as a lead blocker he was thumping Martinez against GB.

He has much more pop than Clutts

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He has been pretty good as a lead blocker he was thumping Martinez against GB.

He has much more pop than Clutts
I agree. He also runs like it's the last time he'll ever see a handoff.

Wonder why we needed two FBs though...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The extra FB has taken the place of the extra LB kept for special teams.
Yeah the purpose is strictly special teams. Just like we have done with a safety or lber in the past. He is sort of an emergency FB/RB by position but it's really about special teams.

Top Bottom