Cole Beasley: undrafted due to 'being white', plays 'pissed off'

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It's true. He can barely run a deep pattern. Other slot WRs do that all the time.

He's productive because Dak keeps feeding him.
Just because he doesnt it doesnt mean he cant. Fault Linehan and the design and see how far that gets you. Just think you are trying to reach so hard for stuff that you will try to grasp at anything. Its what happens when you look only at numbers and not what he does for the team. I guess if it wasnt for Dallas he would be unemployed?

jeebs

Brand New Member
I don't think there's anyone on this board who believes assuming a person would be worse at something because of their race isn't racist.
That is not racism, that is prejudice. Racism would be trying to make them do bad because of their race.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Just because he doesnt it doesnt mean he cant. Fault Linehan and the design and see how far that gets you. Just think you are trying to reach so hard for stuff that you will try to grasp at anything. Its what happens when you look only at numbers and not what he does for the team. I guess if it wasnt for Dallas he would be unemployed?
It's not like that. I think he's a role player and nothing more, like Tom Waddle was with the bears.

Doesn't mean I think he's a waste, he just shouldn't be the focus of the offense. He's #3 in YPC among our WRs.

He doesn't run skinny posts or even fly patterns because he can't separate that way.

He's a shifty guy in space. An asset for sure, but shouldn't be overused.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's not like that. I think he's a role player and nothing more, like Tom Waddle was with the bears.

Doesn't mean I think he's a waste, he just shouldn't be the focus of the offense. He's #3 in YPC among our WRs.

He doesn't run skinny posts or even fly patterns because he can't separate that way.

He's a shifty guy in space. An asset for sure, but shouldn't be overused.
I agree with that assessment and I think that is essentially how he is used. The only difference currently is that his strong points are working well with the rookie QBs needs while Bryant is sitting out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with that assessment and I think that is essentially how he is used. The only difference currently is that his strong points are working well with the rookie QBs needs while Bryant is sitting out.
He has caught well over 80% of the balls thrown his direction this year (85% currently to be exact). YPC is great but when half of those balls are hitting the ground, they don't lower the YPC. If a Cole is averaging 11 ypc and he is catching 85% of the balls thrown his direction, it means you basically throw to him and it will be a first down.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He has caught well over 80% of the balls thrown his direction this year (85% currently to be exact). YPC is great but when half of those balls are hitting the ground, they don't lower the YPC. If a Cole is averaging 11 ypc and he is catching 85% of the balls thrown his direction, it means you basically throw to him and it will be a first down.
If a pass travels 4 yards in the air vs 15, of course it's going to be more accurate!

But by these same stats Terrance Williams is catching 83% and averaging about 13 yards/target (15.5 YPC) vs Cole's 10 (11.8 YPC), yet Williams has 15 fewer targets, 24 vs. 39. That's a difference of over 50%-- too high.

Witten has even more targets with 42, so it's obvious we're aiming short.

I agree Cole should be used to convert on 3rd down, but he definitely shouldn't lead all WR's by such a wide target margin.

Also, using those stats Dez is only catching 48% and Butler 47% of targets, so I guess we shouldn't throw them the ball at all?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But by these same stats Terrance Williams is catching 83% and averaging about 13 yards/target (15.5 YPC) vs Cole's 10 (11.8 YPC), yet Williams has 15 fewer targets, 24 vs. 39. That's a difference of over 50%-- too high.

Witten has even more targets with 42, so it's obvious we're aiming short.

I agree Cole should be used to convert on 3rd down, but he definitely shouldn't lead all WR's by such a wide target margin.

Also, using those stats Dez is only catching 48% and Butler 47% of targets, so I guess we shouldn't throw them the ball at all?
Why shouldn't he thow the ball to Beasley over them? Doesn't mean you shouldn't still spread the ball around. If it's crazy productive to throw him the ball, why should he be targeted less? According to what you just said Witten is targeted more. What you're saying doesn't make any logical sense. We have the best offense in football and Cole is our most productive and efficient WR, why is it then that you want to throw less balls his direction? Seems very counter intuitive.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We have the best offense in football and Cole is our most productive and efficient WR, why is it then that you want to throw less balls his direction? Seems very counter intuitive.
By your own stats he's not the most efficient. Williams is. 83% catch rate and more yards per target and more yards per catch.

You have to ask yourself why every defense outside of the Bengals has left Beasley uncovered underneath. Because they know the odds are low he'll cause serious damage.

What targeting Beasley does do though is bring the safeties in closer to Zeke, so we must push them back. So far it hasn't mattered, but that's just six games.

I know aiming short has helped Dak, but sooner or later it's going to catch up to us.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to ask yourself why every defense outside of the Bengals has left Beasley uncovered underneath. Because they know the odds are low he'll cause serious damage.

What targeting Beasley does do though is bring the safeties in closer to Zeke, so we must push them back.
Because it has worked so well for defenses so far? We have been shredding everyone. Ground and sky.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Because it has worked so well for defenses so far? We have been shredding everyone. Ground and sky.
I think we have to evolve or it won't be as effective late in the year as it should be.

Look at the 49ers game where they decided to take Beasley away. Without that safety valve, Dak struggled quite a bit and only that last bubble screen to Beasley saved the day statistically.

True we were having trouble learning to play without Dez in that game, but I think we need Dak and Dez to get into a groove big time now because we're really going to need him later.

midswat

... soon
I don't think there's anyone on this board who believes assuming a person would be worse at something because of their race isn't racist.
Racism is believing ones race is altogether superior than another.

It isn't racist to recognize that certain races tend to have more success than other races at certain things.

Top Bottom