JJT: Cole Beasley remains Cowboys' primary punt returner

p1_

DCC 4Life
Explain the wavering scales. I missed that part.
meaning people were already down on his return skills, as they are so pedestrian. Then the fumble occurs, making things worse. Then we all want his head. Not to mention the fact that, since the Dez injury, Beasley has pretty much disappeared from the pass game.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
meaning people were already down on his return skills, as they are so pedestrian. Then the fumble occurs, making things worse. Then we all want his head. Not to mention the fact that, since the Dez injury, Beasley has pretty much disappeared from the pass game.
Oh I agree with the return position he was placed in but blame the coaches and organization for him being there. It was apparent he isn't a return guy. They put him there to field punts. As to the passing game he has no control over whether anyone throws to him. His patterns were the same he just didn't get the ball thrown to him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm a Beasley fan, but only as a WR. He shouldn't be fielding punts, or even be mentioned as a "punt returner". He just sucks at it.

But really, there's no excuse for this organization not picking up a ST ace who is a THE guy on returns. Harris was OK, but his avg (if I recall correctly) was in the bottom of the league the years he was with us.
He was always in the top 10 as a returner and top 3 a couple of times.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Third WR is a pretty important role in any offense. Beasley is one guy who needs perfect conditions to be productive. You can be a niche player, i.e. do certain things, but still do them regardless. Welker and Edelman are perfect examples. Does not matter who plays with them, they still do what they do. Beasley can't do shit unless he is the uncovered fourth option.
I gurantee you Beasley would be just as good as amendola in that offense, they actually scheme to get those guys open unlike the same 3 patterns Beasley runs here.

And discounting the QB they have as opposed to Weeden and Cassell is really ignoring the obvious.

Those are niche as well and would not be as good if Gronk was not there.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Beasley were in New England he would produce at least as much as Amendola, and possibly just as much as Edelman. Further, as jiggy noted, the Patriots offense depends big time on Gronk being a mismatch, much like we depend on Dez being a mismatch. If you remember last year they started 2-2 or whatever, were blown out in Kansas City and people were wondering if Brady was done, that was because Gronk was out, they only started hitting their stride when he came back.

Beasley is not a good punt returner and I'd be fine giving someone else a try back there, but he's still the same WR he was last year, with a healthy Romo and Dez he'd be producing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I gurantee you Beasley would be just as good as amendola in that offense, they actually scheme to get those guys open unlike the same 3 patterns Beasley runs here.

And discounting the QB they have as opposed to Weeden and Cassell is really ignoring the obvious.

Those are niche as well and would not be as good if Gronk was not there.
It is funny when people talk about those players like they don't need any help. Yet Williams and Beasley need Dez to be successful. You might as well call Gronk a WR because he has just as big of an impact on that offense as any WR in the NFL. He is a freakish talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 2014 though? I remember him being pretty pedestrian last year.
Last year he was very pedestrian as a returner. The year before that he was stellar.

I would have liked to retain him as a special teamer if for no other reason he was a reliable returner and excellent on coverage units. Rarely can a guy be great at both. The problem was he was a very average WR and he wanted to get more opportunities to play there. He would have been buried 4th or so on our depth chart.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Last year he was very pedestrian as a returner. The year before that he was stellar.
He could take a punt or kickoff to the house. No one in his right mind would ever think Beasley could do that.

Harris can run every pattern and is a brilliant open-field runner. Dumping Harris in favor of Beasley was idiotic.

One of his teammates from college I worked with last year confirmed the problem in 2014 was Harris was getting beat up from all the reps not only returning kicks but blocking on running plays and every ST's coverage play.

I can't imagine Beasley on a coverage team. It's hard to imagine him running a 10 yard out.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Harris was his own worst enemy. His approach to running a route was to shuck (juke) the defender at the line of scrimmage. He spent too much time with that maneuver when in reality he had the speed to simply elude and seperate from most. He just wouldn't leave the juke move alone and if the ball did come his way there was little seperation and the defender was in a position to break it up.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
He was always in the top 10 as a returner and top 3 a couple of times.
Ah, 10-4...must have been thinking of someone else.

Top Bottom