Davison - Darren McFadden: I’m healthy. I’m ready to go.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
October 18, 2016 6:03 PM

Darren McFadden: I’m healthy. I’m ready to go.

By Drew Davison

ddavison@star-telegram.com

FRISCO —

Dallas Cowboys running back Darren McFadden declared himself ready to return on Tuesday.

McFadden, 29, has been sidelined since the start of the season as he underwent offseason surgery on his right elbow. McFadden felt he could be ready when the season started, but the team put him on the non-football injury list to open the season.

McFadden is eligible to be activated off the NFI list this week, but the Cowboys likely won’t do it with a bye. They must make that decision in the next three weeks, though, and then they’ll have three weeks from that point as to whether add him to the 53-man roster.For his part, McFadden sounded as though he’s ready to go.

“Elbow is feeling great,” McFadden said. “Just sitting back and waiting for my time to get back on the field. It’s pretty much up to the coaches. I’m ready to go, so it’s just based off their decision.”

McFadden said his range of motion is “as good as it’s going to get” and that he has “great strength” in his elbow.

McFadden had an impressive 2015 season in which he was named the team’s offensive MVP. He finished fourth in the NFL with 1,089 rushing yards, a feat even more impressive considering he played in essentially 11 games.

But the Cowboys boast the top-ranked rushing offense this season behind standout rookie Ezekiel Elliott. Elliott is on pace to break Eric Dickerson’s rookie rushing record of 1,808 yards, and backup Alfred Morris has played well in his limited opportunities.

It’s difficult to see a set role for McFadden at this point.

Asked about his role, McFadden said: “Whatever the coaches decide for me. I’m a team player. I want to be out there playing, any way I can contribute. I just want to be out there on the field.”

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Roster spot. Coaches. Not up to him.

Trade him. If not, get rid of Dunbar's ass.
Yep. Trade him into the AFC or out of our division. Really have no need for McFadden.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep. Trade him into the AFC or out of our division. Really have no need for McFadden.
I don't give a shit where he goes. But I doubt any team is going to trade for him. Green Bay might have been a target, but they got a younger player today in Knile Davis.

I say trade him but there may not be much of a market.

At the end of the day, if he's better than Dunbar, keep him.

data

Forbes #1
"I'm ready to go."

Did any reporter ask him, 'go where?'

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
There are teams out there that need RBs, but McFadden's trade value is minimal at best. I don't think we'd net more than a 7th round pick.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If nothing else he has fresh legs, so maybe you could squeeze a team for a 6th round pick. I'd rather see Darius Jackson given a shot for garbage time than keep McFadden around for the same role. Anything you get in return is just a bonus.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Roster spot. Coaches. Not up to him.

Trade him. If not, get rid of Dunbar's ass.
I would go with McFadden over Dunbar. He can do anything Dunbar can and he is a lot stronger.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The sad thing is, I can see him coming back and getting more touches than the criminally underused Alfred Morris.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Yea for some reason the staff does not like Alfred Morris. I think he comes in and Morris is the odd man out. Not right, just think thats what will happen

p1_

DCC 4Life
I say trade for defensive talent if you can.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I say trade for defensive talent if you can.
what is Darren McFadden going to give us? i highly doubt we get someone in our defensive line rotation. Maybe a veteran LB but thats about it

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
what is Darren McFadden going to give us? i highly doubt we get someone in our defensive line rotation. Maybe a veteran LB but thats about it
Player for player trades are pretty rare and it would take a team that has a lot of extra defensive players at a position to make that type of move. I'd just take a draft pick and be happy. Any draft pick really.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Minneapolis might be a nice trade partner. They could use McFadden. He is an upgrade over McKinnon and Asiata and they are "all in" this season... Zimmer may be open to dealing with us with his history here.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Player for player trades are pretty rare and it would take a team that has a lot of extra defensive players at a position to make that type of move. I'd just take a draft pick and be happy. Any draft pick really.
Agreed. I'm sick of seeing Philly get picks for their disappointments while we get bupkis.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

data

Forbes #1
You don't lose your starting job to injury. Experience matters. I'd start McFadden.

:tippytoe

Top Bottom