2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Here's my view on the probability of wins from here on out, most likely to least.

KSU - home and their O isn't very good.

OSU - home

WVU - away

UT - should be higher but our OL against their D and our history in Austin keep me from it.

OU - best overall team left on the schedule.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Who's saying he's a secret? Considering he's the QB of the 4 time defending FCS champions, I'm pretty sure scouts have him on their radar.
I definitely would put him on my shopping list. One thing I especially like is his tenure learning the game. To many media hyped QBs jump ship to the pros after their sophomore year and are lost in the big time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I definitely would put him on my shopping list. One thing I especially like is his tenure learning the game. To many media hyped QBs jump ship to the pros after their sophomore year and are lost in the big time.
I don't know that many QB's are jumping as sophomores but I do like the fact that he has been starting for a little while. Some QBs jump as juniors but even that isn't all that common in my opinion. He certainly isn't an unknown QB though. I think a lot of us knew about him coming into this season. It could be a very interesting year for QB's in the draft and I know I'll at least be paying close attention to them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't know that many QB's are jumping as sophomores but I do like the fact that he has been starting for a little while. Some QBs jump as juniors but even that isn't all that common in my opinion. He certainly isn't an unknown QB though. I think a lot of us knew about him coming into this season. It could be a very interesting year for QB's in the draft and I know I'll at least be paying close attention to them.
I said after Sophomore year meaning foregoing their junior and senior year. Also I limited it to hyped QBs such as Manziel

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I just realized next Saturday will be Baker Mayfield vs. Texas Tech.

Skid!!! SKID!!!! GOHRN!!!!
:flairphilly
I ain't skeered.

I really am scared, but I'm going to talk trash this week.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
We're going to read and hear all kinds of things this week about the circumstances behind Mayfield leaving Tech. Especially to the northeast of Lubbock, the narrative will be how Tech dumped on a walk-on freshman who did his best to salvage a season for Kingsbury in his rookie year as a head coach.

Without getting into name-calling or opinions one way or the other, but just the facts as we know it, my understanding is this: Mayfield was 24 of 44 for 237 yards, 0 TDs and 1 interception in a 41-16 loss to an average Texas team in the last regular-season game. The only TD was on a fake punt.

Brewer entered the game in the fourth quarter was a 7 of 8 for 65 yards.

With a little more than a month left before the Holiday Bowl, Kingsbury has Mayfield, Webb, who had played well in games with West Virginia and Oklahoma and threw the key pass to beat TCU, plus a rounding-into-shape Brewer. Plus, Tech had lost five in a row, and can be argued Kingsbury was looking for a spark.

So Kingsbury decided to open up the starting QB spot during this extra time. While it was a demotion for Mayfield, it was not permanent in that, based on practice, he could still win it back. Mayfield believed his play never warranted this, so he quit the following week.

Is the Jack "Just the Facts" Webb version as far as we know it?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Mayfield was sacked something like 6 times against a very average UT team. It was much like when OU played UT when Mayfield was sacked something like 5 times. He was much worse as a freshman (to be expected). He has obviously improved as expected. Had he stayed there is no doubt he would have started in the Holiday Bowl and beyond.

His parents also floated the idea that he want going to be awarded a scholarship. That's pretty dumb to ever imagine that he wouldn't have been awarded one. You can't give them one during the semester anyway so it wound that have mattered.

The deal was that Mayfields parents knew the truth but it doesn't go ever too well during the appeal process to just say that I was mad and wanted to leave because I wasn't given the job. So they had to make up lies and the media ran with it.

Another lie was the anger over the release. A release doesn't matter because the Big 12 has conference rules. It isn't Kingsburys fault that one team allowed to leave one team and go to another conference team wiTheir sitting out. That is a conference rule/NCAA rule.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We're going to read and hear all kinds of things this week about the circumstances behind Mayfield leaving Tech. Especially to the northeast of Lubbock, the narrative will be how Tech dumped on a walk-on freshman who did his best to salvage a season for Kingsbury in his rookie year as a head coach.

Without getting into name-calling or opinions one way or the other, but just the facts as we know it, my understanding is this: Mayfield was 24 of 44 for 237 yards, 0 TDs and 1 interception in a 41-16 loss to an average Texas team in the last regular-season game. The only TD was on a fake punt.

Brewer entered the game in the fourth quarter was a 7 of 8 for 65 yards.

With a little more than a month left before the Holiday Bowl, Kingsbury has Mayfield, Webb, who had played well in games with West Virginia and Oklahoma and threw the key pass to beat TCU, plus a rounding-into-shape Brewer. Plus, Tech had lost five in a row, and can be argued Kingsbury was looking for a spark.

So Kingsbury decided to open up the starting QB spot during this extra time. While it was a demotion for Mayfield, it was not permanent in that, based on practice, he could still win it back. Mayfield believed his play never warranted this, so he quit the following week.

Is the Jack "Just the Facts" Webb version as far as we know it?
Pretty much spot on. The only thing he left out was the injuries that had happened through the year.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It's not the spurned women thing either. If it was why am I not talking about all the other transfers?

Scotty Young - 5 star all-American went La Tech and started

Clayton Nichoas - 3 star transfers to Bowking Green

Brewer - transfers and starts at Virginia Tech

Jacob Karaam - transfers and starts at Tulane

All in the last 2-3 years. There is actually more. Nobody has heard me say anything about those transfers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said after Sophomore year meaning foregoing their junior and senior year. Also I limited it to hyped QBs such as Manziel
Manziel is unique though. I can't really think of many QB's that have left after their sophomore seasons other then him. (Redshirt sophomore if I remember) Manziel was unique in that he was a 2 year starter in college. You don't see many freshman QB's starting in college football.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Kyle Allen threw THREE pick sixes today.

Damn, Jiggy.
As I was telling Simp he looks the part but does not play the part, I don't think he has "IT".

He is still young and Alabama has a hell of a defense but I wanted to see more out of him, there are just too many good WR's on that team for the offense to struggle that much.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's not the spurned women thing either. If it was why am I not talking about all the other transfers?

Scotty Young - 5 star all-American went La Tech and started

Clayton Nichoas - 3 star transfers to Bowking Green

Brewer - transfers and starts at Virginia Tech

Jacob Karaam - transfers and starts at Tulane

All in the last 2-3 years. There is actually more. Nobody has heard me say anything about those transfers.
So why keep bringing up Mayfield it's not like everybody here does not know how you feel about him.

And who is saying this stuff you posted and why should that be given any credence?

This is just like a spurned woman because you just keep bringing it up unprompted, sheesh.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
So why keep bringing up Mayfield it's not like everybody here does not know how you feel about him.

And who is saying this stuff you posted and why should that be given any credence?

This is just like a spurned woman because you just keep bringing it up unprompted, sheesh.
Good job to that Allen kid, huh? 3 of them? wow

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Oh look. Temple has 2 NFL head coaches and is ranked in the top 25 for the first time since 1979.

~Furley sniff~

dallen

Senior Tech
Man, a whole weekend without a Dallas or an Arkansas loss. What a great weekend!

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Coaching level and experience matters? Hmm interesting concept.
I probably said it wrong and I think you misunderstood what I meant.

Two current NFL head coaches came through Temple: Bruce Arians was formerly Head Coach at Temple, and Todd Bowles was a former player at Temple.

Independent of that, Temple is ranked for the first time in a long time.

I'm just saying it's a banner year for temple. They don't get too many.

Actually I'm just saying: :towel

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I probably said it wrong and I think you misunderstood what I meant.

Two current NFL head coaches came through Temple: Bruce Arians was formerly Head Coach at Temple, and Todd Bowles was a former player at Temple.

Independent of that, Temple is ranked for the first time in a long time.

I'm just saying it's a banner year for temple. They don't get too many.

Actually I'm just saying: :towel
Dang it. I was feeling pretty self-righteous until you clarified what you meant. Why you gotta be ruining things for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom