Archer: Terrance Williams' play earns coaches faith, trust

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Terrance Williams' play earns coaches faith, trust
5:30 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Mention Terrance Williams’ name and Dallas Cowboys fans will almost automatically groan.

They cannot get past the fact Williams did not get out of bounds and allowed the clock to run out in the season-opening loss to the New York Giants or the fumble against the Chicago Bears after a 47-yard catch.

Mention Williams’ name to the Cowboys coaches and you will hear how much they respect the wide receiver’s work.

“He’s been someone who is a really well-respected guy on our team because of the approach he takes,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Whatever we ask him to do, he embraces it fully and what we asked him to do (Sunday) was make some plays in the passing game. He showed up early in the game, the middle of the game and certainly at the end of the game. He really did an outstanding job.”

Williams led the Cowboys with five catches for 70 yards in the win against the Cincinnati Bengals. Three of the receptions came in the first quarter on the Cowboys’ first two drives that ended in touchdowns. He had one catch in the third quarter and his final catch ended the game, converting a third-and-7 with an 11-yard catch at the Cincinnati 32.

“Whenever you have a coach that’s trying to get the mindset that we have to finish games and Coach Garrett and Coach Scott (Linehan) they call on you, you have to be ready,” Williams said. “You can’t just think of a plan. You have to have a plan ready so the time when they do call it, you’re ready.”

In the last two games without Dez Bryant, Williams has nine catches for 114 yards and a touchdown. Brice Butler has caught a touchdown pass in Bryant’s absence. So has Cole Beasley.

In the nine games without Bryant last year, Cowboys receivers totaled three touchdown catches.

“We just don’t blink,” Williams said. “Last year it was a bit of a panic. But that’s our guy, don’t matter what. And regardless if he’s playing or not, he’s always going to be there. Whenever you have a person that you genuinely care about and you truly like, you’re try to follow his lead. You’ll go in and do whatever you can for the guy. I think that’s what we’re doing. No matter what’s going on, we’re just playing football.”

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He's played solidly over the last 3 games, but his mental errors have to stop.

You have the huge blunder in week 1, the fumble on a 50-plus yard reception vs Chicago, followed by another bad time management decision at the end of the 1st half vs San Francisco that resulted in us having to use a timeout when we shouldn't have, and then you have him inexplicably trying to pick up the Dak Prescott fumble as opposed to falling on it on Sunday.

The guy is not a worthless bum. He has his flaws and we probably need to be looking for a more consistent #2, but he does have the ability to make plays and be productive for us. But in order for the team to maximize his ability, he needs to grow a brain quickly and stop making so many mistakes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The guy is not a worthless bum. He has his flaws and we probably need to be looking for a more consistent #2, but he does have the ability to make plays and be productive for us. But in order for the team to maximize his ability, he needs to grow a brain quickly and stop making so many mistakes.
On a side note, my fantasy is telling me he is nursing a shoulder injury. Wonder if that happened during the Dak fumble play.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
On a side note, my fantasy is telling me he is nursing a shoulder injury. Wonder if that happened during the Dak fumble play.
They mentioned it during the game but said it wasn't going to keep him from returning to the game. Don't remember when it happened, though.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
That's certainly what it looked like from some of the replays they showed. He got rocked as he was trying to pick up the fumble. Maybe that'll be enough to teach him to just fall on the ball.

Poor timing for him to decide to catch the ball with his hands.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Williams has played better this year than last, but so has Beasley. Who'd think we would really miss Dez?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Who'd think we would really miss Dez?
I would, for one. We're a better team with him, than without him. Defenses roll coverage to him, which opens things up for others. We've done fine so far, but teams will eventually figure out tendencies with the other WRs. Scheme is great, but raw talent can't be taught.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Amazing what great QB play can do for the production of the WRs.
Beasley got a boost because Dak kept targeting him and Dak has also been outstanding leading short-range targets.

But Beasley should not be leading WR's in targets. That's eventually going to shorten the field for the defense and will lead to turnovers sooner or later.

A healthy Dez should always lead the team in targets.

Top Bottom