Potential backup QBs

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well Romo will help in his development, so if we are looking for a tutor/mentor for Dak a week before the season starts...that is a horrible plan.
That's why the only way I sign a QB is if they are a better prospect then Showers. I see no reason not to try and improve the talent of the second QB spot but I don't care about veteran experience. The veteran experience QB on the roster is Romo.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Don't want a young average QB who is also still tying to make a name for himself to backup Dak.

Would rather have a veteran who knows his role and will contribute to Dak's development.
Exactly.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Cowboys Expected To Hold Workout With Free Agent QB Austin Davis
FRISCO, Texas -- In search of quarterback depth, the Cowboys are expected to hold a scheduled workout with free agent quarterback Austin Davis, who was released by the Cleveland Browns on Monday. Read
With Tony Romo currently out with a fractured bone in his back, the Cowboys only have two healthy quarterbacks on the current roster: Dak Prescott, the expected starter for however long Romo’s sidelined, and Jameill Showers. Read
The Cowboys are keeping an eye out for veteran depth, both for Thursday’s preseason finale and beyond. The team expects Romo to play in 2016, but there’s no official timetable for his return yet. Read
Davis has 10 career starts with the Rams and Browns since 2012 and has posted 13 career touchdowns and 12 interceptions. In the Rams’ 34-31 loss to Dallas in 2014, he completed 30 of 42 passes for 327 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions. Read
-Rob Phillips

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Don't want a young average QB who is also still tying to make a name for himself to backup Dak.

Would rather have a veteran who knows his role and will contribute to Dak's development.
No

Well Romo will help in his development, so if we are looking for a tutor/mentor for Dak a week before the season starts...that is a horrible plan.
YES
That's why the only way I sign a QB is if they are a better prospect then Showers. I see no reason not to try and improve the talent of the second QB spot but I don't care about veteran experience. The veteran experience QB on the roster is Romo.
Exactly

Again no.

Genghis Khan

No

YES

Exactly

Again no.
Romo is rehabbing and won't be in daks ear 24/7. It would be nice to have a vet by his side in meetings and the practice field and weight room and everywhere else.

If we think we can find a younger talented QB with any real shot of developing at this stage we're kidding ourselves.

Right now we're all in on dak so let's find someone who can contribute to his development without actually playing.

We literally don't want Dak's backup to play anyway.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Romo is rehabbing and won't be in daks ear 24/7. It would be nice to have a vet by his side in meetings and the practice field and weight room and everywhere else.

If we think we can find a younger talented QB with any real shot of developing at this stage we're kidding ourselves.
I think most of what Romo has to do is just rest his back and let the bone heal. Not sure how much rehab is really involved.

As far as a young QB who can develop, none of us had any idea that Dak could become what he became. No matter how slim the chances are of finding a guy who can develop at this stage, I'd rather have those slim chances than not have a chance at all.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think most of what Romo has to do is just rest his back and let the bone heal. Not sure how much rehab is really involved.

As far as a young QB who can develop, none of us had any idea that Dak could become what he became. No matter how slim the chances are of finding a guy who can develop at this stage, I'd rather have those slim chances than not have a chance at all.
Most of his rehab will be routine workouts to try to get back to playing shape.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys meet with Austin Davis, still looking to sign quarterback

6:10 PM ET
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys would like to sign a veteran quarterback just in case something happens to Jameill Showers, who's expected to play the entire game Thursday against Houston.

Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones said quarterback Dak Prescott is not expected to play against Houston. Jones said Romo will be on the final 53-man roster for at least 48 hours until the club decides whether to put him on injured reserve. Putting him on injured reserve would free up a roster spot and they could re-call him to the active roster when he's healthy.

The Cowboys met with Austin Davis, who was released by the Cleveland Browns two days ago, on Wednesday but have not reached an agreement with the free-agent quarterback. Even if the Cowboys sign Davis, it's unlikely he would play against Houston.

Last year, Davis played three games with Cleveland and passed for 547 yards with a touchdown and three interceptions. Davis spent his first three seasons with the St. Louis Rams. In 2014, he played in 10 games and passed for 2,001 yards with 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

"Obviously, he's done some good things in this league and competed against us in a very competitive way," Jones said. "He's done some good things. He's obviously someone of interest to us right now."

Receiver Cole Beasley is the Cowboys' emergency quarterback.

Jones has no doubt Romo will return this season. He just doesn't know when Romo will return.

"He's very driven to do what it takes to get back," Jones said of Romo. "We've really done a lot of research on this, and it was a very freak accident. It's unfortunate for Tony that he's has some of these things but I think the last thing in the world we're worried about with Tony is being fragile. Everybody saw the hit -- the tackle -- it was awkward and most doctors would tell you that whoever that would've been would've had a hard time coming through that without some sort of injury."

Before last season, Romo had played in 62 of 64 games, but the 36-year-old Romo missed 12 games and parts of two others last season after breaking his collarbone twice. The emergence of Prescott in the preseason has lessened the loss of Romo. Prescott has completed 78 percent of his passes in the preseason for 454 yards with five touchdowns and no interceptions.

Now, it's up to Prescott and the Cowboys to stay in position to make the playoffs until Romo returns. The Cowboys' backup quarterbacks were 1-11 last season.

"He is undeterred and really believes this time does have a different mindset with him not being here that we can win games and when he does get back he's ready to make a run," Jones said "I think Tony is more prepared to have success in this league than he's ever been.

"He's gotta stay healthy and he has to be able to play, but if he does that mentally and his knowledge of this game and what our offense is all about is the best it has ever been. We look forward to winning some football games as we move forward and when Tony gets back the team will be ready for him."

Genghis Khan

Dak isn't comparable. We hadn't see him in the pros yet. He hasn't been cut by multiple teams. He hasn't had years of development result in Still Not Good Enough.

We've seen guys like Mettenberger and Davis. Their previous teams moved on for a reason.

I've said this before but it would be different if we didn't have Dak. Because then, sure take a flyer on a young guy. But we already have a better prospect. Let's find a vet he can learn something from.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Chiefs shopping QB Aaron Murray as more cuts loom

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Aug. 30, 2016 at 10:32 a.m.
Updated: Aug. 30, 2016 at 12:50 p.m.

The Kansas City Chiefs are hoping to pare down their overcrowded quarterback room ahead of final cuts.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network's Good Morning Football on Tuesday that the Chiefs have made teams aware that Aaron Murray is available via trade.

Murray could represent a low-cost option for a team in search of a backup quarterback with some upside. Entering his third year, however, Murray has zero experience in an NFL regular-season game, so he wouldn't represent a veteran presence teams like the Dallas Cowboys are searching for.

The Chiefs have juggled four backup quarterbacks behind Alex Smith throughout camp after adding Nick Foles. Foles has taken a ton of preseason reps as the first QB off the bench and looks destined for the backup gig after reuniting with Andy Reid. K.C. used a fifth-round pick on Stanford QB Kevin Hogan this season and strong-armed Tyler Bray has been ahead of Murray in the pecking order.

The Chiefs spent a 2014 fifth-round pick on Murray, who would have gone much higher if he wasn't coming off an ACL tear. The former Georgia Bulldog flashed some potential early in the preseason, tossing some nice balls, but he's clearly behind Foles at this stage. If the Chiefs can get anything in exchange for the QB project, it'll make life easier. If nothing materializes, expect Murray to be cut outright.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe Austin Davis is just sort of a dick who thinks more highly of himself then he should? Could at least explain why he is always out of a job even though his play on the field wasn't bad.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chiefs shopping QB Aaron Murray as more cuts loom

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Aug. 30, 2016 at 10:32 a.m.
Updated: Aug. 30, 2016 at 12:50 p.m.

The Kansas City Chiefs are hoping to pare down their overcrowded quarterback room ahead of final cuts.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network's Good Morning Football on Tuesday that the Chiefs have made teams aware that Aaron Murray is available via trade.

Murray could represent a low-cost option for a team in search of a backup quarterback with some upside. Entering his third year, however, Murray has zero experience in an NFL regular-season game, so he wouldn't represent a veteran presence teams like the Dallas Cowboys are searching for.

The Chiefs have juggled four backup quarterbacks behind Alex Smith throughout camp after adding Nick Foles. Foles has taken a ton of preseason reps as the first QB off the bench and looks destined for the backup gig after reuniting with Andy Reid. K.C. used a fifth-round pick on Stanford QB Kevin Hogan this season and strong-armed Tyler Bray has been ahead of Murray in the pecking order.

The Chiefs spent a 2014 fifth-round pick on Murray, who would have gone much higher if he wasn't coming off an ACL tear. The former Georgia Bulldog flashed some potential early in the preseason, tossing some nice balls, but he's clearly behind Foles at this stage. If the Chiefs can get anything in exchange for the QB project, it'll make life easier. If nothing materializes, expect Murray to be cut outright.
Admittedly I like Murray and I liked what I saw out of him in the preseason when he played. I wouldn't give up a pick for him but I'd be all for him if he is cut. Sometimes young QB's like that get cut because the team that has them doesn't really know what they have. Then they have too many QBs to really judge any of them accurately.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Dak isn't comparable. We hadn't see him in the pros yet. He hasn't been cut by multiple teams. He hasn't had years of development result in Still Not Good Enough.

We've seen guys like Mettenberger and Davis. Their previous teams moved on for a reason.

I've said this before but it would be different if we didn't have Dak. Because then, sure take a flyer on a young guy. But we already have a better prospect. Let's find a vet he can learn something from.
Do you see any Vet QB out there that you would like to get inside Dak's head? I don't see any standout game managers waiting. That vet he's going to learn from is Romo and I'd rather that be the only voice inside his head.

If the seahawks cut Boykin I'd jump all over that!

Genghis Khan

I don't think the Seahawks cut him but I wasn't particularly impressed with Boykin.

Top Bottom