Report: Ex-Cowboys RB Joseph Randle gambled on sports

D

Deuce

Former Dallas Cowboys running back Joseph Randle's abrupt dismissal from the team this year was partially due to his involvement in sports gambling, according to a report by the Dallas Morning News.

Randle, who was arrested in an unrelated incident Monday for the fourth time in the past year and a half, was released by the team on Nov. 3.

In a text to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Randle, 24, said there is "no truth at all" to reports of his sports gambling.

At last week's Senior Bowl, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said there was no evidence that Randle ever bet on the NFL or attempted to influence the outcome of Dallas' games.

"Not to my knowledge, not in any way," Jones said.

"There are certain types of gambling that you can't do as a player," he said. "Obviously you can't be involved in ... anything that we're competing in, and I've never heard of anything like that."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said he was unaware of any league investigation into Randle.

"We have never had any information relayed to us alleging that Joseph Randle bet on sports," Aiello said.

While the team did not previously mention gambling as part of the reason for Randle's dismissal, Jones acknowledged as much last week and added that Randle's mental health was another issue that led to the team parting ways with him.

"All of that became apparent to us right during the season," Jones said. "Not before the season. It became real acute, a combination of things. Some issues ... became more apparent."

Jones said the Cowboys released Randle after he refused to consent to getting outside help.

"We asked him to do some things that he couldn't do for whatever reason," Jones said, "and that's when we waived him."

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Well shit, now he can't ever be inducted.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I say this knowing the bar I am trying to clear, but going with Joseph Randle as RB1 into this season has to be in the discussion of worst all-time personnel decisions for this franchise. It won't get the attention it deserves, because we're pretty much writing off 2015 as "Romo got hurt," but the personnel people who knew this guy best on and off the field decided that he would be an acceptable starting running back for a team with quasi-legitimate Super Bowl aspirations.

Horrid.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I say this knowing the bar I am trying to clear, but going with Joseph Randle as RB1 into this season has to be in the discussion of worst all-time personnel decisions for this franchise. It won't get the attention it deserves, because we're pretty much writing off 2015 as "Romo got hurt," but the personnel people who knew this guy best on and off the field decided that he would be an acceptable starting running back for a team with quasi-legitimate Super Bowl aspirations.

Horrid.
Considering we still had a 1000 yard rusher and a top 10 rushing offense, it's not like it really was some sort of a disastrous mistake.

Now our passing game, that was ugly. Not sure who should shoulder the blame for that but someone needs to. Even without Romo it shouldn't have gotten that horrific.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And he just keeps on trucking along like nothing ever happened to his career. Fucking waste.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Horrid.
I couldn't agree more. Insanely stupid.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And he just keeps on trucking along like nothing ever happened to his career. Fucking waste.
There is something seriously mentally wrong with him. Everything I'm reading sounds like someone who has a serious mental illness. My experience with people in his situation mentally is that they often can't accept themselves that they have the illness.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Who gives a shit if something is wrong with him?

My God, we handed him our starting RB job nine months ago.

I am more worried our front office is more retarded than I ever imagined.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Who gives a shit if something is wrong with him?

My God, we handed him our starting RB job nine months ago.

I am more worried our front office is more retarded than I ever imagined.
He wasn't just a mental case but also extremely average on the field. No consistency and not a single hundred yard game to his name.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He wasn't just a mental case but also extremely average on the field. No consistency and not a single hundred yard game to his name.
He was only the starter for about 4 games. He obviously was a head case but he was a decent RB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He was only the starter for about 4 games. He obviously was a head case but he was a decent RB.
Nope. He was an average player that was elevated way beyond his talent level by management for whatever reason.

What Randle did his first few years could be duplicated by practically anyone.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nope. He was an average player that was elevated way beyond his talent level by management for whatever reason.

What Randle did his first few years could be duplicated by practically anyone.
Decent, average. Okay. He wasn't a club foot.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
One of the best moves(And there haven't been a lot) this franchise has made in recent years is flushing this turd down the toilet. What an idiot.

Top Bottom