Schefter: Dallas could take another look at Manziel

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Please...if there is a god, he will make him a Cowboy.

I seem to have wet myself.
The Almighty does has what appears to be a sick sense of humor at times.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
if he is cheap why the hell not? Now if we throw a 2nd or even a 3rd at him ill be angry, but if we can grab him on the cheap or if the browns straight up cut him - worth a shot
Because he can't play. Tebow is cheap too. If a guy can't play then it doesn't matter how cheap he is.

Genghis Khan

True but that is one example. His total work doesn't translate to a great future so far. I hope he does make it in the pros. I just don't think he merits paying big bucks for yet.
And correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the Browns scored much in that game, and were playing from behind all game which generally means more passing yards.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Doesn't matter if we like it or not, assuming he gets cut Manziel will absolutely, no question, be a Cowboy next season. I would say Jerry will even trade a late pick for him just to keep him from hitting the market when he gets cut but I don't think he'll have the slightest bit of trouble convincing him to sign in Dallas if he becomes a free agent.

This was posted on here last year but here is a reminder of just how much Jerry hated passing on him in the draft:

Jerry Jones 'damn mad' about missing Johnny Manziel

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Sept. 2, 2014 at 03:10 p.m.
Updated: Sept. 3, 2014 at 03:19 p.m.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones seemed at peace with his decision to pass on Johnny Manziel in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft when he acknowledged to NFL Media's Rich Eisen and Michael Irvin in July that he "took the right pick" in offensive lineman Zack Martin.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

In a recent eye-opening, in-depth profile by ESPN.com's Don Van Natta Jr., Jones emphasized his ongoing regrets about seeing Manziel in another uniform.

During the draft, Jones argued with his son, executive vice president Stephen Jones, that Manziel would have guaranteed the Cowboys' relevance for the next decade.:lol

"I'm still so damn mad at Stephen," Jones exclaimed. "... I get madder, every day, about missin' (Manziel)."

When the Cowboys were on the clock, Jones told his war room that drafting any player other than Manziel would have been a "ticket to parity, more 8-8 seasons."

Jones was on an island, however. Coach Jason Garrett, his staff and the team's scouts all strongly advised against selecting Manziel, pointing to Tony Romo's seven-year, $119.5 million contract with $55 million in guarantees.

Among NFL fans and talking heads, it doesn't get more polarizing than Manziel and Romo. Pitting the two against each other in an inevitable quarterback competition would have turned Dallas into a three-ring circus.

Larry Lacewell, former Cowboys' head of scouting from 1992 until 2004, compared the draft decision to the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus turning down the opportunity to bring in the "biggest elephant" of them all.

"I listened to everybody," Jones said, "... and I'm ... not ... happy ..."

As Martin was handed a Cowboys baseball cap on the Radio City Music Hall stage, Jones was blowing off steam in the war room.

"There's only one thing I wanna say -- I'd have never bought the Cowboys had I made the kinda decision that I just made right now," Jones explained to Stephen. "You need to drive across the water rather than lay up. And we laid up for this one. ... We just didn't get here makin' this kind of decision."

Jones has since downplayed his conversations with Van Natta as embellishing for effect.

"Well, that was a little tongue in cheek with it, but I'm still mad at (Stephen)," Jones said late last week, via the team's official website. "I think I'm proud of that decision right now, and I'm proud I was a good listener."

That doesn't mean Jones is any less bullish on Manziel's future after a disappointing preseason landed the Browns rookie on the bench.

"I don't think anybody has to back into the fact that this guy is a winner," Jones said of Manziel. "He's a proven winner (against) high competition."

Because he listened to his brain trust, Jones will always view Manziel as the one that got away.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Just have to hope that his play has cooled that down enough to be talked out of it again. Add on that he was so adamant about Romo playing 4 or 5 more years.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I bet he'd do fine here. No wonder he couldn't succeed in Cleveland -- you apparently have to actually follow rules there or you get benched. No such issues here.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I bet he'd do fine here. No wonder he couldn't succeed in Cleveland -- you apparently have to actually follow rules there or you get benched. No such issues here.
I must have missed all the Cowboys that were running fast and loose around here.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Just have to hope that his play has cooled that down enough to be talked out of it again. Add on that he was so adamant about Romo playing 4 or 5 more years.
His play, his behavior...you'd think, right? But I doubt it. What, is Garrett going to stand up to him and say "I don't want this guy on my team"? Possibly, if that's the way he feels. Will it matter to Jerry? Not if he still feels the same way he did at the time that article was written. Seems inevitable to me that he is going to be a Cowboy next season.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
His play, his behavior...you'd think, right? But I doubt it. What, is Garrett going to stand up to him and say "I don't want this guy on my team"? Possibly, if that's the way he feels. Will it matter to Jerry? Not if he still feels the same way he did at the time that article was written.
I think Stephen has the only shot at talking him out of it, imo. I also think that it's going to be harder to talk him out of it the second time if he still feels the same.

I just so hope it doesn't happen.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'm just scared JJ is going to get duped into giving a 2nd rounder for him...

As long as we don't give anything more than our 6th I'll feel thankful, not that I'd give anything myself.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm just scared JJ is going to get duped into giving a 2nd rounder for him...

As long as we don't give anything more than our 6th I'll feel thankful, not that I'd give anything myself.
:stop

There is no way in hell anyone, including Jerry Jones, is going to give up that high a pick for Manziel at this point.

Genghis Khan

I think Stephen has the only shot at talking him out of it, imo. I also think that it's going to be harder to talk him out of it the second time if he still feels the same.

I just so hope it doesn't happen.
It'll be much harder to talk Jerry out of it. At least in the draft you can sell him on the fact that they would miss out on a great talent in Martin. There's no such caveat this time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Doesn't matter if we like it or not, assuming he gets cut Manziel will absolutely, no question, be a Cowboy next season. I would say Jerry will even trade a late pick for him just to keep him from hitting the market when he gets cut but I don't think he'll have the slightest bit of trouble convincing him to sign in Dallas if he becomes a free agent.

This was posted on here last year but here is a reminder of just how much Jerry hated passing on him in the draft:
I think we can assume Jones will continue to make insane decisions.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I think we can assume Jones will continue to make insane decisions.
I don't think taking a chance on Manziel if he becomes an on-the-street free agent is insane, I just personally have doubts that he will be good enough to offset the media shitstorm/potential distraction he would cause for the team. He may or may not have the talent to be a starting NFL QB but it sure seems like he does not have the right mentality for it right now. If he did he would not be sitting on the bench for a Browns team that is going nowhere and drafted him to be their next franchise QB. Worth kicking the tires? That argument can certainly be made but I would stay away from the situation.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I speak for America when I say...come home Johnny.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think taking a chance on Manziel if he becomes an on-the-street free agent is insane, I just personally have doubts that he will be good enough to offset the media shitstorm/potential distraction he would cause for the team. He may or may not have the talent to be a starting NFL QB but it sure seems like he does not have the right mentality for it right now. If he did he would not be sitting on the bench for a Browns team that is going nowhere and drafted him to be their next franchise QB. Worth kicking the tires? That argument can certainly be made but I would stay away from the situation.
I am referring more to Jones giving up too much to acquire him. He has a penchant for giving away everything including the family jewels to get a player he is fixated on.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Acquiring Johnny Manziel would be one of Jerry Jones' worst decisions

Jean-Jacques Taylor, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Johnny Football playing for the Dallas Cowboys would be among Jerry Jones’ worst ideas.

Ever.

First, there’s no tangible evidence Johnny Manziel can be a good NFL quarterback, whether he’s starting or being a backup for Tony Romo.

We’re talking about a player who has passed for more than 200 yards once in 12 starts, while completing just 57.7 percent of his passes.

If the Cleveland Browns do get rid of Manziel in the offseason, the former first-round pick is a bad fit for any team unless it builds an offense around him the way the Carolina Panthers have built their offense around Cam Newton. Or the way the Washington Redskins built their offense around Robert Griffin III his rookie year under coach Mike Shanahan.

No team builds its offense around a backup quarterback that every coach hopes to see on the sideline with a baseball cap and clipboard all season.

The transition from the starter to the backup is supposed to be smooth. Well, that’s not going to happen if every offensive player must adjust for the backup.

The reality is there couldn’t be a worse city in America for Manziel to play unless, maybe, it was in Houston.

Part of the reason Manziel currently resides in purgatory is that he hasn't shown the discipline to be an NFL quarterback.

The quarterback must be the most trusted and reliable player in an organization because the game revolves around their skill set. Name a good team with a bad quarterback? You can’t. They don’t exist.

Two weeks ago, the Browns named Manziel their starter for the rest of the season. They reportedly asked him not to attract any negative attention during the bye week, and he promised to comply.

He didn’t. Videos surfaced of him partying in Austin, Texas. Then he reportedly lied about the incident when the Browns inquired about it. Worse, he reportedly asked his friends to lie about it, if the Browns asked them about it.

The Browns verified the video and made Manziel their third-string quarterback until further notice.

The Cowboys are willing to put up with distractions from players such as Greg Hardy who have the potential to be among the league’s best. They're not willing to do it for fringe NFL players.

Besides, can you imagine the drama Manziel’s presence would create every time Romo threw an interception or had a bad game? The Romo haters would be in full effect calling for Manziel to start.

Social media would be on fire with thoughts about Romo’s future and Manziel’s potential, and the topic would provide daily segments for sports talk radio.

All of that for a player who has 1,108 passing yards and five touchdowns in his career. The Cowboys use a timing-based offense that’s based on precision; Manziel is a player who operates best when he’s freelancing.

Anyway you examine it, Manziel is a poor fit in Dallas. It doesn’t matter if the Cowboys had him ranked as one of the top players in the 2013 draft because everyone can see he’s not.

It doesn’t matter that Jones covets him, the excitement he would create and the ticket sales he would generate for fans convinced all he needs is an opportunity to be a great player.

Jones wanted the Cowboys to draft him, and the club’s other power brokers -- Garrett, vice president Stephen Jones and scouting director Will McClay -- talked him out of it.

They’ll do it again, as they should.

Top Bottom