MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I read that Miami wanted Urias, Seager, Pederson, and 3 more prospects. :picard

Just go ahead and say he isn't available.
Teams that trade for him not only will have to give up a shitload, but they will have to look at giving him a new contract too. It would be more than what Grienke and Price...probably somewhere in the 35 mil range per year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It was a raping. Totally agree with your assessment of Miller. #2 at best, probably more of a #3 going forward. He is cheap for a few more years though. AZ is going all in, obviously. Have to try and win it all during Goldschimdt's peak and before Greinke starts to decline.
He was excellent in his first 10 starts, but his ERA was close to 4 after that.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I would have liked Zobrist, but the Mets still have to watch their spending. Seeing all the contracts pitchers are getting now...I dread in a couple years when our young starters are looking for long term contracts. The Mets might have to start budgeting for that now. The thing is though, they took off after they added the power bat in Cespedes...as we are currently constructed, Dilson Herrera is taking over for Murphy at 2B and the OF looks to be Conforto, Lagares (possible LH platoon partner), and Granderson. We'll be counting on Conforto and Duda to be the primary power...and although I am excited to see Conforto's growth, I think we will have trouble scoring runs again this upcoming year.
Zobrist is a nice player but if it would have come out that the Cubs were in on him but lost the bidding to the Mets I wouldn't have been too upset. I do think he is a nice addition and the Cubs needed someone who profiles like he does, but the age is a concern. I am assuming this move was made to make Joe Maddon happy.

Best of luck to Castro but he really is a very average player. I suppose there is still some upside because of his age but he has been in MLB for years and I don't know how much projection is left. He has piled up a lot of hits but his D has always been shaky, his OBP is bad because he doesn't draw walks, he makes a lot of mental mistakes in the field/on the basepaths, etc. He has made 3 All-Star teams but that was by default a couple of times. He had a WAR of 3 in 2011 and 2012 but it has been -.4, 2.1, and .6 since. He doesn't really hit for power, doesn't steal bases anymore, and the highest OPS+ he's ever had was 115.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Cubs were fortunate to find a trade partner who would take on his entire salary without making the Cubs eat any. I thought that ship had maybe sailed. Not only that, but they got a quality swing man/potential back end starter in the deal. I'll take it.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
[MENTION=10]Carp[/MENTION] Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Mets and Pirates are discussing a Jon Niese for Neil Walker swap. Seems like it would be a solid trade that would moderately benefit both teams.

Carp

DCC 4Life
[MENTION=10]Carp[/MENTION] Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Mets and Pirates are discussing a Jon Niese for Neil Walker swap. Seems like it would be a solid trade that would moderately benefit both teams.
I have had him on my radar for a bit. He has had some really good numbers for a 2B the last few years.

I am also kind of seeing how teams value Desmond...if he can be had relatively cheap, I'd sign him and move Flores to 2B.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Unidentified fourth team enters trade talks for Marlins' Jose Fernandez
15h - MLB JOSE FERNANDEZ +6 more

Jayson Stark, ESPN Senior Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- An unidentified fourth team is making a "very strong" bid to trade for Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez, sources told ESPN. Other clubs say they believe that mystery team is the Houston Astros, but neither team would confirm that Tuesday morning.

Who is the mystery team in on Jose Fernandez?
There is a fourth unknown team in trade talks to acquire Marlins ace Jose Fernandez. David Schoenfield considers the top possible suitors.

Marlins could make a killing in Jose Fernandez trade; bullpen buzz
Buster Olney looks into the growing possibility that Marlins ace Jose Fernandez could be traded, shares the latest on the reliever trade market and more.

Jose Fernandez fits the New York Yankees. They should go and get him, even if it costs them prized prospect Aaron Judge and more.

The Los Angeles Dodgers, Arizona Diamondbacks and New York Yankees are all known to have spoken about Fernandez with the Marlins, who have said publicly that their ace is unavailable, even while they continue to entertain trade talks about the 23-year-old right-hander.

The Astros would make sense as a trade partner because of Fernandez's age and relatively low salary as a first-time arbitration-eligible player, along with Houston's depth of prospects and young players already in the major leagues.

Marlins president of baseball operations Mike Hill said Monday that his team was notmaking Fernandez available.

"He's not available," Hill told the Miami Herald on Monday. "We haven't made him available. But it doesn't stop the phone calls from coming."

Sources, however, said the team felt it was making progress toward a trade with an unidentified club. On Tuesday, sources who had previously described any deal as being unlikely were no longer willing to say that.

Another source said the Marlins had set aside talks to trade center fielder Marcell Ozuna until they determine whether they can get an outfielder in a trade for Fernandez, who is 22-9 with a 2.40 ERA and 336 strikeouts in 47 major league starts.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As much as I value Fernandez, I don't think I could ever give up what the Marlins would want for him. It is defeinitely nice to have an ace, but it is not a requirement to win it all. The Royals are a great example of that. They beat teams with deep talent and a deep bullpen.

D

Deuce

If they Marlins wouldn't take that massive offer from AZ that eventually went for Miller, they won't take a deal from anyone.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If they Marlins wouldn't take that massive offer from AZ that eventually went for Miller, they won't take a deal from anyone.
The 3 players were just a part of it...they reportedly wanted Corbin and 2 other included as well.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Bob Nightengale ✔ @BNightengale
The #Yankees could benefit most by Chapman situation,now talking to #Astros and #Dodgers about closer Andrew Miller. http://usat.ly/1QuFk
10:57 AM - 9 Dec 2015

Jiggyfly

Banned
Astros’ Carlos Gomez, George Springer drawing interest at winter meetings
By Evan Drellich on December 9, 2015 at 10:53 AM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Fireballer Vince Velasquez is a hot name for teams that talk to the Astros. The team doesn’t want to move him but is more willing to part with him than Lance McCullers, as one would expect after the breakout season McCullers had in 2015.

The Astros are also getting inquiries on their outfielders, baseball sources said, and are said to be open to moving George Springer — if the haul is big enough.

The Astros last winter traded Dexter Fowler to the Cubs and Fowler’s now a free agent. The Astros again have an athletic center fielder who’s a year away from hitting free agency in Carlos Gomez, and the Cubs again have a need.

The Cubs do have interest in Gomez, but the Astros are reticent to make a move and have a high price not only because Gomez could be a high impact player, but because the Astros have an outfield that has a history of injuries with Springer and Colby Rasmus.

Logically, the same thinking applies with Springer.

“What I learned about our season for our team in specific was the depth of our team is challenged through injury, through some under performance, some over performance, guys arrived at different times,” manager A.J. Hinch said Tuesday.

As the Astros continue to look for top relief pitching they also are checking in on starting pitching, and have talked to the Indians about Carlos Carrasco.

Pitching is the team’s priority, general manager Jeff Luhnow has said more than once.

The Astros probably shouldn’t worry about past trades or values. At the same time, any move made with Gomez would be compared to what the Astros gave up to get him and Mike Fiers at the deadline, a big package headlined by Brett Phillips.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If I am the Mets I see how much Houston values Gomez...I think they might want to get out from under his deal since Rasmus accepted their qualifying offer.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Astros’ Carlos Gomez, George Springer drawing interest at winter meetings
By Evan Drellich on December 9, 2015 at 10:53 AM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Fireballer Vince Velasquez is a hot name for teams that talk to the Astros. The team doesn’t want to move him but is more willing to part with him than Lance McCullers, as one would expect after the breakout season McCullers had in 2015.

The Astros are also getting inquiries on their outfielders, baseball sources said, and are said to be open to moving George Springer — if the haul is big enough.

The Astros last winter traded Dexter Fowler to the Cubs and Fowler’s now a free agent. The Astros again have an athletic center fielder who’s a year away from hitting free agency in Carlos Gomez, and the Cubs again have a need.

The Cubs do have interest in Gomez, but the Astros are reticent to make a move and have a high price not only because Gomez could be a high impact player, but because the Astros have an outfield that has a history of injuries with Springer and Colby Rasmus.

Logically, the same thinking applies with Springer.

“What I learned about our season for our team in specific was the depth of our team is challenged through injury, through some under performance, some over performance, guys arrived at different times,” manager A.J. Hinch said Tuesday.

As the Astros continue to look for top relief pitching they also are checking in on starting pitching, and have talked to the Indians about Carlos Carrasco.

Pitching is the team’s priority, general manager Jeff Luhnow has said more than once.

The Astros probably shouldn’t worry about past trades or values. At the same time, any move made with Gomez would be compared to what the Astros gave up to get him and Mike Fiers at the deadline, a big package headlined by Brett Phillips.
Gomez would look awfully good in CF for the Cubs but he would be a one year rental and the Astros will probably expect a pretty decent haul. I wouldn't want to give up too much for him when a guy like Denard Span is sitting out there in free agency.

I would give up a ton for George Springer though. He can play CF (looked pretty good out there for about 20 games last season) and is a legit 30/30 threat. He Ks like crazy but also draws a lot of walks. Definitely has had some injury trouble though. Not sure if the Cubs are interested in him or not. His major swing and miss problem might deter them. I'm sure the cost in prospects would also be very high, as it should be. I'd be thrilled to see him in CF for the Cubs though.

Cubs and Astros are not a match as trade partners though if pitching is all the Astros are after.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Told #Astros trading pitchers Vince Velasquez, Brett Oberholtzer and Brian Fisher to Phillies for closer Ken Giles, pending physicals.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Wow...we signed Cabrera too. A little surprising.

Rev

Staff member
At least your team is doing something. Mine says they can't even afford to sign Ol Suck Ass. Surely he can't,demand that much??

Carp

DCC 4Life
At least your team is doing something. Mine says they can't even afford to sign Ol Suck Ass. Surely he can't,demand that much??
I like both players...adding those 2 certainly lenthens the line up. Maybe they are going to make Flores a super utility guy. That is the only part that kind of sucks...Flores really became a fan favorite after everything went down last year with his possible trade, etc. Adding these 2 definitely put him on the bench...and with Tejada coming back he may not even be guaranteed a roster spot.

Rev

Staff member
I like both players...adding those 2 certainly lenthens the line up. Maybe they are going to make Flores a super utility guy. That is the only part that kind of sucks...Flores really became a fan favorite after everything went down last year with his possible trade, etc. Adding these 2 definitely put him on the bench...and with Tejada coming back he may not even be guaranteed a roster spot.
One of the things I like so much about Bannister is that he finds ways to get every player on the 25 plenty of playing time. Maybe Collins can do that as well. It may be good that he feels like he has to compete for a job as well so won't become complacent.

Top Bottom