Here's how QB Carson Wentz figures in Cowboys' draft, long-term plans

Jiggyfly

Banned
Goff is better, flat out.

If Goff isn't there, I'd rather Dallas go the Raiders route.
There is no Carr that will be available in the 2nd round.

If Carr was in this draft he would probably be the top rated QB in this draft and that's only on what he did in college.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Each has their positives/negatives, I'd be happy with either at 4 and I wouldn't say either is clearly above the other honestly.
Exactly how I feel. They are very different QBs but they both have some really strong traits. I would love to draft either. I think both QBs if they go to the right teams will be very good NFL starters. Of course going to Cleveland could ruin either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Another thing about Goff, he's played since he was a true freshman at Cal. Wentz was redshirted and sat for 3 years before playing his final 2 seasons as a redshirt junior/senior. At the same point in their careers, with Goff having 3 full years of experience and seemingly headed for a top 5 pick, Wentz hadn't even played at NDSU yet.

Not a big deal for various reasons, but just another item to note when comparing the two.

Of course I'd love Wentz at 4 but if Cleveland falls in love with him and takes him at 2 I'm not going to be walking around with my ass on my shoulders about the potential idea of taking Goff.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Wentz was redshirted and sat for 3 years before playing his final 2 seasons as a redshirt junior/senior.
It's been said that Wentz should have been the starter his sophomore year over the senior Brock Jensen. A lot of people were calling for it. But how do you bench a three year starter that was coming off back to back national championships? Good situation to be in, as a team. But kind of sucked for Wentz. Oh well.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Another thing about Goff, he's played since he was a true freshman at Cal. Wentz was redshirted and sat for 3 years before playing his final 2 seasons as a redshirt junior/senior. At the same point in their careers, with Goff having 3 full years of experience and seemingly headed for a top 5 pick, Wentz hadn't even played at NDSU yet.

Not a big deal for various reasons, but just another item to note when comparing the two.

Of course I'd love Wentz at 4 but if Cleveland falls in love with him and takes him at 2 I'm not going to be walking around with my ass on my shoulders about the potential idea of taking Goff.
On the flip side of that Wentz played with top level talent for his competition level, NDSU is the Alabama of that level of football.

Goff played at school that was deficient in talent compared to most of the teams he played against and he turned that program around.

This is not a knock on Wentz but NDSU has been the big dog down there for awhile, he stepped into a well-oiled machine.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

Started all 4 years. One of the major attributes of drafting QBs according to Parcells.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Started all 4 years. One of the major attributes of drafting QBs according to Parcells.
The only QB Bill Parcells can really be credited for is Tony Romo. This is just off the top of my head but Quincy Carter, Jeff Hostetler and Vinny Testaverde come to mind. I respect Bill Parcells but QB's isn't something I normally think about. He's a veteran player first guy through and through

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only QB Bill Parcells can really be credited for is Tony Romo. This is just off the top of my head but Quincy Carter, Jeff Hostetler and Vinny Testaverde come to mind. I respect Bill Parcells but QB's isn't something I normally think about. He's a veteran player first guy through and through
Bledsoe was another of his QBs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol Kinda makes sense with my point
Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you point as much as just pointing out another of his QBs. I think he was actually the one who drafted Bledsoe with the Patriots but I could be wrong.

I agree with your point though. It's not like Parcells was a master of drafting QBs. Hell the best one is probably Romo and he went undrafted.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you point as much as just pointing out another of his QBs. I think he was actually the one who drafted Bledsoe with the Patriots but I could be wrong. .
That was the story where Bledsoe's dad asked Parcells not to throw him to the wolves, and Parcells responded that he might just be a wolf.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
He also drafted Chad Pennington, who could have been really good, but hurt his shoulder, was never same.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Carter was drafted under Campo. Phil Simms was okay for Parcells.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
:lol Kinda makes sense with my point
He knew enough not to let turds like Wright, Stoerner, Leaf, Hutchinson, and Henson see the field and put Quincy on a serious leash. I think Jerry badgered him into playing Henson.

The Bledsoes and Testaverdes of the world were the guys he knew he could win with while he developed the real QB.

He developed Simms, Bledsoe, Pennington, and Romo and resurrected Testaverde's career. He won a Superbowl with Jeff fricking Hostetler. I think it's safe to say Parcells knew how to coach, grow, and manage the position.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't think I'd give up a top 5 pick in the 2nd or 3rd for the chance to take Wentz over Goff. While I love Wentz as a prospect for several reasons, Goff is right there with him.
I wouldn't either. These QB's have a chance to be good but they aren't close to being locks as a sure fire franchise QB. It's borderline as to whether either are actual top 5 caliber picks. In this draft based on the lack of top line talent at the top I'd take one at #4, but there is no way I'd trade up and give up premium picks for one.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Tennessee has made it known they are willing to trade down. Most likely, if someone trades up they are looking to get ahead of Cleveland to take one of the QBs.

I could definitely see a scenario where both Goff and Wentz are gone.

And if that happens, and Bosa is also gone, I'd hope we trade down.
I agree. Bosa is the only other guy I'd like at #4. If somehow both QB's and Bosa are gone I'd prefer to trade down instead of sitting put and taking Jack and definitely not Ramsey or Hargreaves. I guess in that case Tunsil would be the guy someone would be after, unless a team like the Ravens wanted to jump Jax to get Ramsey.

But I think it's not likely someone would want to move up giving away a premium pick or two just to get Tunsil or Ramsey. That type of move up high in the first is generally reserved for someone going after a QB, premium pass rusher....or Morris Claiborne.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I agree. Bosa is the only other guy I'd like at #4. If somehow both QB's and Bosa are gone I'd prefer to trade down instead of sitting put and taking Jack and definitely not Ramsey or Hargreaves. I guess in that case Tunsil would be the guy someone would be after, unless a team like the Ravens wanted to jump Jax to get Ramsey.

But I think it's not likely someone would want to move up giving away a premium pick or two just to get Tunsil or Ramsey. That type of move up high in the first is generally reserved for someone going after a QB, premium pass rusher....or Morris Claiborne.
But, you might be able to get a team around 7 or 8 to trade up, and then trade down a second time into the 10-15 range. You could pick up 2 extra picks without one single trading partner having to give up too much.

And at that spot, with extra picks in hand, we could take a linebacker or DB or WR or even Lynch and feel a lot better about it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That said, if Tunsil goes in the top 3 we are in great shape to stay where we're at and make a selection.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Noah Spence runs in the 4.5-4.6 range I think he'd be one of my top non-QB targets at 4, assuming all the background stuff checks out. He looks like a Von Miller clone and you don't pass that up no matter what your depth chart looks like.

Top Bottom