Time for Tony Romo's successor? The top 5 quarterbacks in next year's draft

townsend

Banned
Why would you say that? Doug Williams won a super bowl. Another vote for two syllables in the last name. What are you a racist or something?
:shrug
I would wager a much larger percentage of SB winners are white than have two syllable names.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think it would be dumb as hell to pass on a legit QB to take a LB. At some point you have to actually draft a QB for the future...and it would be nice for the drafted player to have at least one year behind Romo. I am far more comfortable taking LBs 2nd or later than I am taking a QB 2nd or later.
It would be and this is a very rare position that we find ourselves in, with a relatively talented roster but with a chance to take a QB in the top 5 of the draft, while also allowing them the luxury to sit for a year or two behind a veteran QB. It's a very, very rare situation and if we dick it up by taking a non-pass rushing LB I will be quite pissed, even though I do very much like Smith, Mack and Ragland.

I very much like Wentz as well, and if you could guarantee me that he would be there in the 2nd I'd be ok passing up Lynch/Goff, but that is a huge risk to take since his measureables are off the charts in terms of size, athleticism and arm strength, not to mention very solid production on top of that. I'm not a huge fan of any of the other QB's, Cook would be acceptable in the 2nd but I'd definitely prefer one of the other 3 obviously, and under no circumstances do I want Hackenberg, Cardale Jones or whatever other media concoction people throw around.

The fact of the matter is that for as much as this season has sucked, it's a huge blessing to be in the position to draft a QB in the top 5, without trading up, with a roster that hasn't bottomed out, with a veteran QB who can still presumably play for a year or two. I can hardly think of any recent examples like this one, the Luck/Manning deal was the most similar but still different because nobody had any clue whether or not Manning could even play anymore, not to mention Luck being a far superior prospect.

Goff and Lynch aren't Luck-caliber prospects and I think for that reason some people will turn their nose up at drafting either of them when Romo could still conceivably play, but when you look at the prospects who are projected to go in the top 5-10 picks, especially the positions that they play (OT, which is RT for us, non-pass rushing LB, CB), I think you have to take the risk on the QB.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'd take the best QB available when we pick in the first. But, we won't. Thanks to Jerry saddling us with the horrendous Romo contract extension we're stuck with him for 2 more years and I don't see any way Jerry has a 1st round QB sit for 2 years or beat out Romo for the starting job and have Romo sit with his contract.

Jerry got what he wanted with that extension, freeing himself from a QB search til after Romo's career is over.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Goff and Lynch are legit...and I could be persuaded to include Cook in the legit barrel too.
They are legit according to who?

Because I have read nothing considering either legit franchise-type QB prospects.

Jiggyfly

Banned
My biggest issues with Lynch and Goff are that they are spread QB's and those types have been bust prone.

Also the fact that they have 1 year of great success to go on.

I would no be opposed to drafting either but I don't think either is a no brainer.

They both seem to be getting pushed into the top 10 because there are 2 QB desperate teams there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd take the best QB available when we pick in the first. But, we won't. Thanks to Jerry saddling us with the horrendous Romo contract extension we're stuck with him for 2 more years and I don't see any way Jerry has a 1st round QB sit for 2 years or beat out Romo for the starting job and have Romo sit with his contract.

Jerry got what he wanted with that extension, freeing himself from a QB search til after Romo's career is over.
Not from what I have seen. We certainly can't afford to cut him now but the year after next we would save a little over 5 mil against the cap by cutting Romo from what I have seen. So really a rookie would only have to sit a year. And who cares if you have a bunch of dead cap space, you're still ultimately saving 5 mil against the cap.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Not from what I have seen. We certainly can't afford to cut him now but the year after next we would save a little over 5 mil against the cap by cutting Romo from what I have seen. So really a rookie would only have to sit a year. And who cares if you have a bunch of dead cap space, you're still ultimately saving 5 mil against the cap.
I was going off the nearly $32mil. in dead money if cut in 2016 and $19 mil in 2017.

http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?5328-Spagnola-There-Seems-To-Be-No-End-To-This-Nightmarish-Season&p=242527&viewfull=1#post242527

Carp

DCC 4Life
They are legit according to who?

Because I have read nothing considering either legit franchise-type QB prospects.
Multiple mocks have them in the first...with Goff and Lynch often in the top 10...so there is that.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
My biggest issues with Lynch and Goff are that they are spread QB's and those types have been bust prone.

I would no be opposed to drafting either but I don't think either is a no brainer.

They both seem to be getting pushed into the top 10 because there are 2 QB desperate teams there.
The legit concerns are the type of pass-friendly offenses they run. But I'm sure they will be examined and vetted extensively between now and April. If the Bortles comparisons hold true then yeah, I and most would pass. Goff is at least receiving Flacco comparisons which on one hand doesn't equate to top 10 pick but on the other he has a SB ring and been consistently steady in his career and took it to the next level several of their playoff runs.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Multiple mocks have them in the first...with Goff and Lynch often in the top 10...so there is that.
Since when is a mock the reason to consider a QB legit?

And those mocks have them going to teams that are desperate at QB, but hey a guy is projected to go in the 1st so they must be legit.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The legit concerns are the type of pass-friendly offenses they run. But I'm sure they will be examined and vetted extensively between now and April. If the Bortles comparisons hold true then yeah, I and most would pass. Goff is at least receiving Flacco comparisons which on one hand doesn't equate to top 10 pick but on the other he has a SB ring and been consistently steady in his career and took it to the next level several of their playoff runs.
I agree there is lot to break down between now and the draft.

I lean more towards Goff I think he has the better tools and mechanics.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_29077434/49ers-qb-future-could-be-cals-jared-goff?source=infinite-up

Goff, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound junior, is completing 66.3 percent of his passes for 2,537 yards with 22 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in eight games. The interceptions are a career high.

While there is no guarantee Goff will make himself eligible for the draft, he grew up locally in Marin and wears No. 16 in honor of Joe Montana, and the thought of being the 49ers' quarterback of the future could be enticing.

Like many college quarterbacks, Goff operates out of a spread, no-huddle offense that immediately puts him behind when it comes to transitioning to the NFL.

"Quarterbacks are learning how to play in systems through poster boards and signals," Savage said. "They don't have to go in the huddle, they don't have to go under center and yet they put up these prolific numbers. The expectations are way up there, and there's no way for them to live up to it.

"They've not only got to learn a new language but be the translator of that language to the other players."

According to Charley Casserly, an NFL Network analyst and a former general manager with Washington and the Houston Texans, it complicates the process.

"You're not going to find many traditional guys because more and more colleges are turning out spread quarterbacks," Casserly said.

Kaepernick was a spread quarterback at Nevada, as was Robert Griffin III at Baylor, who was the No. 2 overall pick in 2012 and is languishing on the bench with Washington.

Goff does, however, have some support among NFL talent evaluators. In an article on NFL.com, Daniel Jeremiah asked five general managers for a comparable NFL quarterback to Goff, and every one of them named Atlanta's Matt Ryan.

* Thru 12 games: 64.2 % completion / 37 TDs / 13 INT's

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

While there have been many busts to come out of spread systems I think the bust prone thing is starting to become a thing of the past due to the proliferation of the system. Carr and Mariota both came out of spread systems, Mariota coming from one where the threat of the run really opened up huge windows in the passing game and Carr coming from a system that obviously greatly inflated his stats, but both look to be solid NFL QB's. I think the big issue with spread QB's is when the threat of the run is such a big part of their success like with Griffin and Kaepernick, that isn't really the case with these two since neither are runners.

And I don't know why you think they only have 1 year of success, both programs were down when they both got to campus and the team's record has improved each of the years that they have been there. Goff had 35 TD's, 7 INT's, a 62.1 completion % and a 7.8 YPA in 2014 while Lynch had 22 TD's, 9 INT's, a 62.7 completion % and a 7.3 YPA. That is not one year of success by any measure.

I don't know which one I prefer yet, I think alot of it would depend on the mental/psychological evaluation, how important the game is to them, etc., and we obviously have no way of knowing that. Just from what I see on the field, Goff definitely looks more polished with his technique and footwork, and I think he may have a stronger arm, while I think Lynch is more athletic, moves around the pocket better and can throw better on the run/while evading pressure. Lynch looks like a more athletic/mobile Flacco, perhaps a Roethlisberger, while Goff looks like a bit like Matt Ryan or maybe a non-retard Jay Cutler.

Jiggyfly

Banned
While there have been many busts to come out of spread systems I think the bust prone thing is starting to become a thing of the past due to the proliferation of the system. Carr and Mariota both came out of spread systems, Mariota coming from one where the threat of the run really opened up huge windows in the passing game and Carr coming from a system that obviously greatly inflated his stats, but both look to be solid NFL QB's. I think the big issue with spread QB's is when the threat of the run is such a big part of their success like with Griffin and Kaepernick, that isn't really the case with these two since neither are runners.

And I don't know why you think they only have 1 year of success, both programs were down when they both got to campus and the team's record has improved each of the years that they have been there. Goff had 35 TD's, 7 INT's, a 62.1 completion % and a 7.8 YPA in 2014 while Lynch had 22 TD's, 9 INT's, a 62.7 completion % and a 7.3 YPA. That is not one year of success by any measure.

I don't know which one I prefer yet, I think alot of it would depend on the mental/psychological evaluation, how important the game is to them, etc., and we obviously have no way of knowing that. Just from what I see on the field, Goff definitely looks more polished with his technique and footwork, and I think he may have a stronger arm, while I think Lynch is more athletic, moves around the pocket better and can throw better on the run/while evading pressure. Lynch looks like a more athletic/mobile Flacco, perhaps a Roethlisberger, while Goff looks like a bit like Matt Ryan or maybe a non-retard Jay Cutler.
Carr is a good sign but the jury is out on Mariota and even then the ratio is still not good.

Those are not great numbers in a spread system from Lynch last year and from what I am reading most of his passes are wr screens and comeback routes, he does not do a lot of intermediate and downfeild stuff.

Now Goff put up some real good numbers last year so the leap is not as great and from what I read he has more pro style routes in his passing tree.

Carr would be hands down the best prospect if he was coming out this year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Carr is a good sign but the jury is out on Mariota and even then the ratio is still not good.

Those are not great numbers in a spread system from Lynch last year and from what I am reading most of his passes are wr screens and comeback routes, he does not do a lot of intermediate and downfeild stuff.

Now Goff put up some real good numbers last year so the leap is not as great and from what I read he has more pro style routes in his passing tree.

Carr would be hands down the best prospect if he was coming out this year.
Carr had very similar stats as a sophomore and also threw a ton of screens and passes that were designed to be completed within 5 yards of the LOS. I agree that the design of the Memphis offense does not have him throwing as many pro style routes as Carr did or Goff does but I have definitely seen him make NFL caliber throws, to the sideline of the opposite hash, or over the shoulder throws to the sideline for example, check the Cincinnati game if you want to see some of them, including on the game winning drive.

And I don't think the fact that Carr or Goff are in offenses with more pro-style routes necessarily means they are better prospects. Lynch clearly has the ability to make NFL throws, it is the NFL's job to determine if he has the aptitude/work ethic to work on his craft to consistently make those throws. Lynch has better size, moves better, throws better on the run and has a stronger arm than Carr, I definitely don't think you can say Carr would've been higher rated.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't know if I'd be so quick to blame Bortles for being drafted by Jacksonville. If Lynch is Bortles I'm fine with that.

Top Bottom