Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would take Forte on a 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd. Depending on what he is asking for, of course.

townsend

Banned
And Doug Martin was starting to look like a bust after a great rookie season. Ryan Matthews has been hit or miss. He has a couple of 1000 yard seasons but otherwise has been disappointing for a first round pick.

And then you look at rookie RBs last year and the second best guy was probably Thomas Rawls who was undrafted. I think it's a position that is so hard to predict because it's based so heavily on the blocking in front of them and the system a guy plays in. I mean look at McFadden. Looked like trash with the Raiders and statistically last year was one of the top backs in the NFL.
Yeah, as much as its been greeted with hostility, it really seems like the "any back can run behind this line" philosophy is at least kind of true.

By the way, I'm wary as hell about Bama running backs, Ingram, Richardson, and Lacy have all been miserable disappointments. I think at this point they deserve a "Penn st. running back' downgrade for coming out of that system.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So Forte for a year or two has no upside? Forget that he is proven and I think the age thing is overblown based on the fact he isn't going to be the workhorse in Dallas.
I think he will follow the same pattern as Emmitt Smith. He will be out of place with a new organization and knowing he has a short stint will coast.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Rather have a younger RB who has an upside. Forte by all previous indicators of his genre will take a final contract then coast through the season. He will have little incentive to bust his balls for anyone going forward.
What previous indicators?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Guys who are winding up their careers. They usually don't make a bid contribution.
This is not true.

Says

Demarcus Ware
Corey Dillon
Steve Smith
Anquan Bolden
Kevin Williams
Charles Woodson
Lary Allen
Rodney Harrison
Terrence Newman
Roman Harper

I can go on and on each player has to be taken on their own merit.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is not true.

Says

Demarcus Ware
Corey Dillon
Steve Smith
Anquan Bolden
Kevin Williams
Charles Woodson
Lary Allen
Rodney Harrison
Terrence Newman
Roman Harper

This is not true.

Says

Demarcus Ware
Corey Dillon
Steve Smith
Anquan Bolden
Kevin Williams
Charles Woodson
Lary Allen
Rodney Harrison
Terrence Newman
Roman Harper

All that proves is some continued to play but there are some who didn't work out. It's my preference not to gamble on it and go with someone who will be young and hungry. You can have your own preference.

Jiggyfly

Banned
All that proves is some continued to play but there are some who didn't work out. It's my preference not to gamble on it and go with someone who will be young and hungry. You can have your own preference.
So we agree the use of all previous indicators was incorrect.

Right?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This is not true.

Says

Demarcus Ware
Corey Dillon
Steve Smith
Anquan Bolden
Kevin Williams
Charles Woodson
Lary Allen
Rodney Harrison
Terrence Newman
Roman Harper

LaDanian Tomlinson was productive splitting carries as a Jet after leaving the Chargers.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would take Forte on a 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd. Depending on what he is asking for, of course.
Never been a big fan of Forte...he has put up great numbers and I think he might lead the league in total yard over the last few years. I have always kind of seen him as soft.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
LaDanian Tomlinson was productive splitting carries as a Jet after leaving the Chargers.
He is a running back. Most of Jiggys names were not. I was referencing RBs since that was the topic at hand. I even used Smith as an example but no matter.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He is a running back. Most of Jiggys names were not. I was referencing RBs since that was the topic at hand. I even used Smith as an example but no matter.
Smith was a stupid example. He was 34 when he wen't to the Cardinals.

townsend

Banned
Smith was a stupid example. He was 34 when he wen't to the Cardinals.
And he still put up 9TDs and nearly 1000 yards his last season, on a dog shit team. I'm not sure I'd turn that down right now, since Randle, McFadden, and Turbin only accounted for 8 rushing TDs.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And he still put up 9TDs and nearly 1000 yards his last season, on a dog shit team. I'm not sure I'd turn that down right now, since Randle, McFadden, and Turbin only accounted for 8 rushing TDs.
Don't correct your know it all brother. He says it was a stupid example and he must be right.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
God, you're such a crybaby when you're wrong.
Not wrong about Smith. After he left the Cowboys he had a less than sterling career. In two years he accomplished about 1200 yards and a 3 yard average.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not wrong about Smith. After he left the Cowboys he had a less than sterling career. In two years he accomplished about 1200 yards and a 3 yard average.
Yeah TDs can sometimes be a bit of a silly stat for a RB. It's the same reason why people thought Trent Richardson might be a good back with the Browns even though he sucked in every other way possible. TD's for a RB have more to do with opportunities then anything.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
One year Roy Williams injured him early, the next he ran for 937 yards and 9 TDs and had a 3.5 yard average, not great but he wasn't running behind a great line and he was half a decade older than Forte.

Also I pointed out Tomlinson who ran for over 900 yards at 31 after going to the Jets.

Fact is you can pick up an older running back and get them to platoon with another guy, and we do need some insurance for McFadden if we don't draft a guy.

I'd rather have Miller because he has more tread on the tires but being stubborn and saying a vet can't possibly be productive in a rotation is ridiculous.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
One year Roy Williams injured him early, the next he ran for 937 yards and 9 TDs and had a 3.5 yard average, not great but he wasn't running behind a great line and he was half a decade older than Forte.

Also I pointed out Tomlinson who ran for over 900 yards at 31 after going to the Jets.

Fact is you can pick up an older running back and get them to platoon with another guy, and we do need some insurance for McFadden if we don't draft a guy.

I'd rather have Miller because he has more tread on the tires but being stubborn and saying a vet can't possibly be productive in a rotation is ridiculous.
Why bother with an older running back? Dallas already has an older back in McFadden and if he is injured do you want another twilight runner as your reliability for the running game? The RB position with Dallas needs to get younger not older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom