Panthers Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ah man, the local yokels are all screamin' mad. All the local quotes have is them loading up to stop the run.
Let 'em do it. Unlike with Weeden or Cassel in there, Romo will make them pay for it.

Cotton

Staff member

Not a big deal for them.
That tweet has been removed. What was it?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
:lol

Reminds me when he was trying to post videos for the first time..
Nah, as much as I would like to make fun of Booze, when someone removes a tweet it just shows up blank here.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Panthers coach Ron Rivera on Jerry Jones: ‘Believe me, he wants the Cowboys to be great’

Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com

Published: October 17, 2012 4:06 pm

IRVING — Before hiring Wade Phillips as head coach in 2007, Jerry Jones interviewed Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera for the job.

Rivera was the defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears at the time. While Jones didn’t give Rivera his first head coaching position, he did give the former Bears linebacker a long interview.

“It went from the time I got there to the time it was time to leave,” Rivera said Wednesday during a conference call. “We almost forgot to eat. It was great. It was great discussion. His insights into how he runs the team and what he is expecting I thought were outstanding. I really enjoyed it. He and his son Stephen, the two of them really make a dynamic pair as far as what they’re trying to do and what they want to accomplish.

“Believe me, he wants the Cowboys to be great. He really does. That’s one of the things I took away from my interview with him.”

Rivera, who became the Panthers head coach last season, said his meeting with Jones was one of the longest interviews he’s had.

“It was great,” he added. “When you get an opportunity to sit down and visit with people and you really get to express yourself, I think that’s a really good thing.”

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Nah, as much as I would like to make fun of Booze, when someone removes a tweet it just shows up blank here.
It still reminds me of that so you cant take that away, mister.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

:towel

Cotton

Staff member
Scout's Eye: Kuechly's Consistency, Covering Carolina's Rookie WR
Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:51 AM CST

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas – During a typical week, we wouldn’t be getting to the Panthers until Wednesday.

It’s obviously not a typical week, though – with Carolina set to visit AT&T Stadium in just a little more than two days. With that in mind, here’s my weekly breakdown of the opposition.

You’ve no doubt heard of two of these guys, as they’re two of the key pieces to the Panthers’ surge to the top of the NFL. The third preview is a Carolina newcomer who just might give the Cowboys fits this Thanksgiving.

Let’s take a look:

Nemesis: Luke Kuechly, LB

Plays with incredible passion and desire – you can tell that he loves the game. Similar to what the Cowboys have in Tony Romo. Outstanding physical toughness and football intelligence. Has a closing burst and short-area foot quickness. Playing speed is a rare for a linebacker. He’s a reactionary athlete in every sense of the word.

Kuechly has the range to make plays to the sideline, regardless of what direction the ball goes. There’s good lateral quickness and balance. He can really change directions when he has to. When he sees it – he is gone. He also plays well with his hands – it’s actually those hands that allow him to play the way he does. It’s rare that you see him caught on blocks.

When he is on the move – he can be difficult to deal with. He has good upper and lower power and strength. Can hit and strike – plays with a pop. Consistent wrap-up tackler. Awareness in coverage, whether he is playing in zone or man. Shows range in coverage like he does against the running game. In my opinion, his best trait in the passing game is his ability to blitz. Kuechly will walk up tight to the line and at the snap of the ball attack the blockers.

He’s a hard guy to deal with one-on-one when he is working against a running back. Just too good with his hands shedding. He has a nose for quarterback and where to position himself to create pressure or get a sack. Has a knack for creating turnovers in the way he tackles.

As you might expect from his production, Kuechly is one of those rare linebackers that never comes off the field.

Weapon: Cam Newton, QB

Give Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula a great deal of credit for the way he handles Cam Newton on the field. Shula does not ask Newton to do things that he cannot execute. Shula plays to Newton’s strength, and that is with the play action pass.

Newton is an outstanding ball handler and can be deceptive when Shula asks him to play that way. The way the Panthers run their route combinations gives Newton the opportunities to make more throws in the middle of the field to crossers at various levels -- then taking the occasional shot down the field.

What is interesting about Shula, though, is that he has not done much to change Newton’s throwing motion. He still allows Newton to throw the ball at all different arm angles and with less than perfect footwork. There are snaps where, because of this inconsistency of technique, that the ball will go all over the place and his accuracy will struggle. Despite having open receivers, Newton has struggled to get the ball to them, and because of that he has left some plays on the field.

The Panthers appear to be OK with Newton missing some plays, because they know he will make some plays with his legs. He is rare in the regard that his size makes him very difficult to bring down in the pocket. When he runs out of trouble, he can be a load to bring down in the open field one-on-one. His pocket presence and movement in the pocket is outstanding.

This season for the Panthers he has been clutch, and a lot of that comes from his ability to improvise and this is what this Cowboys defense needs to worry about.

Under the Radar: Devin Funchess, WR

This rookie is absolutely massive on tape. I thought when he was coming out of Michigan that you might have to consider him as an athletic, pass-catching tight end.

In college, he was out wide and also in the slot. Catches the ball naturally in his hands. Runs well with the ball in his hands. Struggled some in college when he had to deal with the contested balls, but he has done a much better job making those plays for the Panthers.

He’s not a special route runner – a long strider without much initial quickness. He will, however, use his size and hands to fight off the press. He will go and high point the ball down the field and can adjust. Will go high across the middle to get a ball. He catches the ball well on the move. Can get some separation in his routes. Simply put, he’s not the smoothest route runner but surprisingly he finds ways to get open.

Given his size, Funchess will fight to gain yards with the ball in hands after the catch. He will track the ball in flight. So far in his rookie season, he has been able to make some clutch plays for this offense. Newton shows faith in him when he needs a big play.

Funchess really started picking up his game three weeks ago against Green Bay and has been improving each week. His size and hands make him a difficult receiver to have to match.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Again, the key to the game for Dallas is to devise a way to contain or shut down Newton. Neutralize him and you run the train off the track.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Tony Romo got early jump on Panthers defense

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo started working on his preparation for the Carolina Panthers while recovering from his broken left collarbone, watching film, jotting down notes.

The quick turnaround before the Thanksgiving game is tricky for quarterbacks, so Romo got ahead of the game a little bit.

Last week was all about the Miami Dolphins and “zero to do with Carolina.”

This week, he looked back at his notes on the Panthers.

“I (went) back and refresh with some of the stuff I did earlier to kind of hopefully give me a little bit of a head start,” Romo said.

Playing two games in five days a year ago was not kind to Romo. He didn’t throw a touchdown pass, was intercepted twice and had a season-low in completion percentage in the Thanksgiving Day loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

He was out of sorts for most of the game.

He didn’t take a pain-killing injection for his back before playing the Eagles, which was a curious decision since he had for the other games with a normal preparation time.

“I think last year was experimental in a lot of ways at different times,” Romo said. “We had to figure that out. We hadn’t had a short week throughout the rest of the year. In some ways, just some of the decisions I made were not conducive to me being ready in that short period of time. It happened. You learn. You move on. I think I’ll be better this year because of it.”

Romo said last week his surgically-repaired back was feeling as good as it has since his surgery in December 2013. The collarbone is healing and he said he had a “good soreness” after Sunday’s win against the Dolphins.

This week, he has condensed a normal week into a shorter time frame both in terms of keeping his back and core strong and understanding the Panthers' defense.

“You just try to do maybe more of it in a single day, and there’s just a lot of little things that I would normally do in a week’s routine and you’re just doing sometimes a couple things per day,” Romo said. “And being the first week back, you’ve obviously got to get your body back feeling good in a short turnaround and that’s at least half the battle. And then the mental side of it and trying to catch up with the plays and understanding what they’re doing and how to attack them and where they’re vulnerable and my thought process in those moments and all that.”

Last week, Romo said he had to get back into his “situational thinking,” after a two-month break. As the game against the Dolphins wore on, he said he felt better and more sharp.

He expects that to continue Thursday.

“That’s going to get better each time I play, every quarter I play,” Romo said. “I think just the more you play football, usually the better you get at football.”

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
One thing that worries me is Romo took a couple hard hits against the Dolphins. They face a tougher defense this week. Hopefully we manage to protect him better.

Top Bottom