Archer: Cowboys value keeping their own players

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys value keeping their own players

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- There isn’t a musical artist Jason Garrett loves more than Bruce Springsteen. He has seen him countless times and will likely be in attendance when Springsteen hits Dallas next month.

Perhaps falling in line with Springsteen’s, "We Take Care of Our Own," from the Wrecking Ball album, the Dallas Cowboys have re-signed six of their 18 free agents so far: Rolando McClain, Morris Claiborne, James Hanna, Kyle Wilber, Josh Thomas and Charles Brown.

Some might question the logic of keeping players from a team that finished 4-12 in 2015, but the surer bets in free agency come when you know the player. It also means the Cowboys believe injuries played the single biggest part of the poor season.

The teams that have spent large amounts of money at the start of free agency often receive immediate kudos (see the New York Giants last week) but end up with at least some regret in the future (see the Philadelphia Eagles, 2015).

The Cowboys' better moves over the years have been when they have kept their own players, either from ever hitting the market (Tyron Smith, Sean Lee, Orlando Scandrick, Tony Romo, Jason Witten) months before they can become free agents or right before they can become free agents (Doug Free, Cole Beasley, Chris Jones, Dan Bailey, L.P. Ladouceur, Barry Church) of different levels (unrestricted or restricted).

The Cowboys would like to also keep defensive end Jack Crawford and running back Lance Dunbar. They could make plays to keep Robert Turbin, Tyler Clutts and Jeremy Mincey as well after things settle down. What about Greg Hardy? That door is closed, even if the Cowboys won’t publicly close it.

Dunbar has visited with the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks, but is coming back from major knee surgery. In addition to tearing his anterior cruciate ligament, he suffered a torn patellar tendon. It is possible he won’t be ready for the season opener.

Crawford offers position flexibility and had four sacks last season. Turbin picked up the system quick enough to play in his first game five days after signing with the Cowboys last season. They have not made a big play for another free agent runner yet.

As free agency approaches its second week, the big names have largely signed elsewhere. One name remains, safety Eric Weddle. The Cowboys have ties to Weddle with special teams coach Rich Bisaccia when they were together with the San Diego Chargers.

Weddle reportedly would like to make a decision soon. Some reports have linked the Cowboys to him, but the Cowboys will only go so far. They showed that last year and last week.

The big-money deals move the needle in free agency. Keeping your own free agents doesn’t as much, but they can prove to be more effective on the field and against the salary cap.

:tippytoe

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There's nothing wrong with re-signing guys like Wilber and Hanna to cheap deals when they're core ST'ers and respectable depth at their positions. The McClain deal also makes alot of sense too, I read that 2 million of the 5 million deal is contingent upon him being on the active roster for all 16 games, which is unlikely, but if he is then I think you're fine paying him that. Another 1 million is also some tied to some kind of incentive.

So basically McClain signed a 1 year, 2 million deal with 3 million in incentives, although 2 of that 3 is based on him being active for all 16 games, if he isn't that's 40% of the contract lopped off right there.

My only issue that we have ignored guys who would've been good value signings that didn't get large deals, guys like Casey Hayward, Jerell Freeman and Tahir Whitehead. Signing one external free agent of note is not going to cut it.

dallen

Senior Tech
There's nothing wrong with re-signing guys like Wilber and Hanna to cheap deals when they're core ST'ers and respectable depth at their positions. The McClain deal also makes alot of sense too, I read that 2 million of the 5 million deal is contingent upon him being on the active roster for all 16 games, which is unlikely, but if he is then I think you're fine paying him that. Another 1 million is also some tied to some kind of incentive.

So basically McClain signed a 1 year, 2 million deal with 3 million in incentives, although 2 of that 3 is based on him being active for all 16 games, if he isn't that's 40% of the contract lopped off right there.

My only issue that we have ignored guys who would've been good value signings that didn't get large deals, guys like Casey Hayward, Jerell Freeman and Tahir Whitehead. Signing one external free agent of note is not going to cut it.
Yeah, I don't specifically have an issue with any of the deals we've signed so far, but I am worried about all the deals we aren't signing

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I don't specifically have an issue with any of the deals we've signed so far, but I am worried about all the deals we aren't signing
I'm just concerned we aren't trying to actually upgrade what was a very average to below average defense last year.

dallen

Senior Tech
I'm just concerned we aren't trying to actually upgrade what was a very average to below average defense last year.
One of the reasons I like them is that they have been very low commitment so they could theoretically be depth players if we can find an upgrade. We don't seem to be concerned about the upgrade part though

townsend

Banned
Starting to feel like a lame duck year for Garrett. It seems like the organization isn't willing to give him any more upgrades, since he has (in their estimation) a playoff caliber team already. I think a Goff in the 4th would be very telling. Because to me it sends a "you've got to win with what you've got, because we're planning for the future" kind of message.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Starting to feel like a lame duck year for Garrett. It seems like the organization isn't willing to give him any more upgrades, since he has (in their estimation) a playoff caliber team already. I think a Goff in the 4th would be very telling. Because to me it sends a "you've got to win with what you've got, because we're planning for the future" kind of message.
I agree. If I say it, it's that "I'm setting up the excuses," but it does really feel like the team is saying, "This team is healthy Tony Romo from being 12-4 again" and I don't think that's the case. Murray's loss has never really been addressed and holes have sprung up that didn't exist before.

I mean, if he goes 6-10 he'll be gone IMO but if they think this roster with no real answer at RB, a patchwork defense with no real proven pass rush threat, and a made of glass Tony Romo is going to the Championship game, I think they are a little delusional.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It does kind of seem like that. Almost like hitting the reset button hoping 2014 was it and not last year. Bringing back everybody minus Murray and hoping for the best.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean, if he goes 6-10 he'll be gone IMO but if they think this roster with no real answer at RB, a patchwork defense with no real proven pass rush threat, and a made of glass Tony Romo is going to the Championship game, I think they are a little delusional.
If he goes 6-10 with a healthy Romo he should be fired. If he goes 6-10 with a rookie QB he won't. We return the 4th leading NFL rusher so this no answer at RB isn't true.

The defense needs work though. Our only real hope of improvemenr there is that some young guys step up. Guys like Randy Gregory and Byron Jones should take the next step.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I agree. If I say it, it's that "I'm setting up the excuses," but it does really feel like the team is saying, "This team is healthy Tony Romo from being 12-4 again" and I don't think that's the case.
What makes you think Garrett doesn't believe that? God knows he's propped up that team and the job he did "building" it enough leading up to 2015.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
If only that would happen, I would fall on my knees with my hands raised to the sky. My sad prediction for this team is the same as last. I love me some Tony, but I think he will get hurt again. I don't wish that on him because I think he is great, just fragile at this point. I look for another season like last. They may win a few more games because they won;t lose Dez this time, but now many more.
Draft that QB and that way when the inevitable happens you at least have a head start on the future.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What makes you think Garrett doesn't believe that? God knows he's propped up that team and the job he did "building" it enough leading up to 2015.
He might, but he's not the GM, or even the second voice in personnel decisions (that's Stephen).

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It does kind of seem like that. Almost like hitting the reset button hoping 2014 was it and not last year. Bringing back everybody minus Murray and hoping for the best.
Yea, I mean that's fine if our goal is to win the division and a playoff game, maybe two, but the goal should be to win it all. It kind of disgusts me that we are trying to "win now" through the draft as opposed to free agency when our cap situation will really loosen up a few years from now when we will likely be hitting a reset button in terms of guys like Romo, Witten and Lee.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yea, I mean that's fine if our goal is to win the division and a playoff game, maybe two, but the goal should be to win it all. It kind of disgusts me that we are trying to "win now" through the draft as opposed to free agency when our cap situation will really loosen up a few years from now when we will likely be hitting a reset button in terms of guys like Romo, Witten and Lee.
But you are going to have to pay Collins, Frederick and Martin.

And possibly Jones and Lawrence.

Not saying they should not be trying to win now but there are even bigger contracts in the pipeline.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
But you are going to have to pay Collins, Frederick and Martin.

And possibly Jones and Lawrence.

Not saying they should not be trying to win now but there are even bigger contracts in the pipeline.
Lawrence won't be up for big money until the 2018 offseason, same with Martin and Collins, Jones won't be up for big money until the 2019 offseason.

That is more than enough time to structure contracts that could be gotten out of after 2-3 years. Miller and Weddle only got 4 years, Hayward got 3 years, Tahir Whitehead got 2 years, Jerrell Freeman got 3 years, every single one of those deals could be gotten out of relatively easily after 2 seasons if structured properly.

I'm not advocating making 8 sack Olivier Vernon the highest paid DE in the league but we should've been more aggressive going after these mid-tier types to load up for a run over the next 2 years with Romo and then drafted a QB at 4 to protect our future. Instead we are going to use the draft to win now, Romo will probably be done in 2 years if we're lucky and we'll be left with Dak f'ing Prescott.

Top Bottom