2016 Senior Bowl Stuff...

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Where did it say Nkemdiche is in play for us at 4.

What if he drops, what if we trade down?

They were saying the same things about Gregory last year and he dropped to the bottom of the 2nd.

In another thread you were questioning if any of these QB's were even worth a top 5 pick now this.:lol
I also said in this draft with the lack of high end talent theyd be worth it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So they have moved up from fan bloggers to hacks that suck and couldn't keep their jobs. They are about as untrustworthy of an "accomplished" site as they come.
Honestly unless it is Glazer or Schefter, pretty much everything is untrustworthy.

Besides, WGAS.

Surely you have been around enough drafts to realize there is a lot of shit to wade around.

It is still January. It will get worse over the next couple of months.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Top 20 NFL draft prospects at Senior Bowl

North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz stood out during Senior Bowl practices. AP Photo/Brynn Anderson
Todd McShay
ESPN Senior Writer

With the Senior Bowl practices in the books, let's run through our top 20 players from Mobile, Alabama.

1. Carson Wentz, QB North Dakota State: Wentz checked off every box. He has the frame (6-foot-5¼, 233 pounds). He has the arm. He can make all the throws -- even in cold, windy weather. He displayed a good demeanor with his coaches and teammates. Wentz played his way into the conversation as the first QB off the board.

2. Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville: Rankins showed good pass-rush skills in one-on-one drills, while also penetrating the backfield against the run. He stood out among a great group of defensive linemen.

3. Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama: We already knew he could stuff the run, but this week has been a good opportunity for Ragland to show off his pass-rushing ability. An underrated athlete at 259 pounds, Ragland routinely beat RBs and O-linemen off the edge.

4. Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama: Reed got double- and triple-teamed a bunch this week in team drills, but as was his M.O. at Alabama, he excelled at occupying blockers and got free to penetrate the backfield on multiple occasions.

5. Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech: He moves like he's 290 pounds, but he weighed in at 325. His upper-body power was evident during bag drills. Butler needs to be more consistent, but there aren't many big guys with his skill set.

6. Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky: Spence was a guy everyone had circled to watch this week, after transferring from Ohio State to Eastern Kentucky in the wake of two drug-related suspensions. He put to rest any concerns about his on-field ability, proving he has an elite athletic skill set off the edge.

Noah Spence showed terrific athleticism in individual and one-on-one drills. AP Photo/Brynn Anderson
7. Austin Johnson, NT, Penn State: A massive nose tackle prospect (6-foot-4, 323 pounds), Johnson excels against the run. He showed the ability to anchor against double teams this week. He was a productive pass rusher this season (6.5 sacks), but that won't be his strength in the NFL.

8. Joshua Garnett, G, Stanford: He's a road grader in the run game and very effective in pass protection. He plays with a high football IQ. He didn't always look like it this week, but he's still our top-ranked guard prospect.

9. Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State: Washington weighed in a 6-foot-3, 297 pounds, and he showed good first-step quickness off the ball for his size. He has good range against the run, and is disruptive at the point of attack.

10. Sheldon Day, DT, Notre Dame: Day showed off his trademark motor, along with the ability to make plays against the run. He's not the fastest guy off the ball, but he's a load for offensive linemen to handle on the inside.

11. Braxton Miller, WR/RS, Ohio State: Miller spent the better part of the week turning defensive backs around with incredible route-running, while also dazzling in individual agility drills. He was the best pure athlete on the field all week -- and he looked natural catching the ball, considering he's just a year removed from playing quarterback.

12. Cody Whitehair, G, Kansas State: Really impressed with his consistency this week. He plays with a wide base and good balance, and is strong is both the run and pass games.

13. Antonio Morrison, ILB, Florida: He played well all week, but really stood out with some big plays on Thursday, showing off his athleticism and instincts.

14. Jihad Ward, DL, Illinois: Ward isn't the best athlete, but he played with great effort. While his tape says he's a better run-defender than edge rusher, he flashed a little in one-on-one pass-rushing drills.

Jalen Mills showed off a versatile skill set in Mobile. AP Photo/Brynn Anderson
15. Vadal Alexander, G, LSU: He played much better at guard than tackle. He has some athletic limitations but is overpowering at the point of attack. Alexander can create a new line of scrimmage as a run blocker, and once he latches on in pass protection, it's over.

16. Carl Nassib, DE, Penn State: At 6-foot-6¾, 273 pounds, Nassib has a great frame. While he lacks elite speed, he's quick and has very effective hands. He's a natural finisher as a pass rusher. His best fit in the NFL is probably at left DE

17. Jalen Mills, DB, LSU: Mills showed off his versatility, routinely defending receivers both in the slot and outside the numbers. With natural footwork and good instincts, he ran his receiver's route on more than one occasion. Mills has an intriguing skill set, but comes with some off-field baggage.

18. Miles Killebrew, S, Southern Utah: Killebrew is similar to the Cardinals' Deone Buchannon. He has the size (6-foot-1¾, 219 pounds) and skill set to be a hard-hitting in-box safety -- and he also could play LB in sub packages.

19. Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State: He has developed into a solid blocker and is a more dangerous pass-catching weapon than some might have thought entering this week. Vannett was under-utilized at Ohio State (19 catches all season; nine of which came in the final five games).

20. Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma: Shepard is never going to be a burner, but what he proved this week is that he's one of the best route runners in this class. With good hands and quick feet, he has the look of a natural slot receiver at the next level.

Just missed the cut

Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia
Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota
Joshua Perry, WLB, Ohio State
Jacoby Brissett, QB, North Carolina State
Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Antonio Morrison would make for a nice late round pick.

As far as Nkemdiche, these dipshits implying we are interested at 4 because we are doing background checks are just connecting the dots in their pea-sized brains. If anything I'd guess it's due diligence in case he drops to the 2nd.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Antonio Morrison would make for a nice late round pick.

As far as Nkemdiche, these dipshits implying we are interested at 4 because we are doing background checks are just connecting the dots in their pea-sized brains. If anything I'd guess it's due diligence in case he drops to the 2nd.
Some sites are so eager to be the first to get the insider scoop that they try to connect the dots and do so very poorly all too often.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I also said in this draft with the lack of high end talent theyd be worth it.
That's what got me on board with the QBs. If there was a transcendent player there, great. But it doesn't seem like there will be, so might as well roll the dice on one of the QBs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what got me on board with the QBs. If there was a transcendent player there, great. But it doesn't seem like there will be, so might as well roll the dice on one of the QBs.
As far as I can tell these QBs have all the necessary skills to develop into elite starters in the NFL. It of course doesn't guarantee in any way that they will but I see no fetal flaws in Goff or Wentz that makes me think they aren't worthy of a top pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watching the Senior Bowl practices I was thinking about something. What are the odds we draft Nick Martin? He checks off a lot of boxes the Cowboys love. He is a center guard combo so he provides position flex. Lord knows we have a thing for nepotism and he is Zach's brother. I can already here Jerry basically comparing his ability to that of Zach. We don't really have a need for him other then as a reserve but I could very easily see us take him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Watching the Senior Bowl practices I was thinking about something. What are the odds we draft Nick Martin? He checks off a lot of boxes the Cowboys love. He is a center guard combo so he provides position flex. Lord knows we have a thing for nepotism and he is Zach's brother. I can already here Jerry basically comparing his ability to that of Zach. We don't really have a need for him other then as a reserve but I could very easily see us take him.
I would like to think that the director of player personnel would have a better agenda and enough influence to nix that kind of selection methodology.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm a huge Martin fan but I think he's gone in the first 2 rounds, meaning we'd have to take him at 34, which would be absolutely ridiculous considering we probably have the best G-C-G combo in the league. You can't draft an interior OL who will never play a snap barring injury at 34.

If he was there in the 4th I'd be all for it, just because I think he'd be the clear BPA but there is no way he lasts that long.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Looks real tiny. But he did a good job of getting open and catching the ball which is probably what he will mostly be used for in the NFL.

He's really short. 5'7 7/8 but a rock. Like ray rice kind of rock almost.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he was there in the 4th I'd be all for it, just because I think he'd be the clear BPA but there is no way he lasts that long.
The second/third area is what always worries me with Dallas. We seem to make some head scratcher picks. Last year we used our third on a swing backup OT. I don't think we would use a second on a backup Oline but stuff like that worries me with Jerry. We took backup TEs for years. Although at least the plan was to start 2 TEs, as shitty of a plan as that may have been.

We really do have a crazy good young interior Oline. With Collins power and athletic ability just wait until he actually knows what he is doing. He looked awesome last year and he was basically a lost rookie.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm a huge Martin fan but I think he's gone in the first 2 rounds, meaning we'd have to take him at 34, which would be absolutely ridiculous considering we probably have the best G-C-G combo in the league. You can't draft an interior OL who will never play a snap barring injury at 34.

Don't know about the 2nd, he is an interior lineman after all. If you are talking 34, guys like Whitehair probably go around there.

3rd is probably about right. Depend on who else was around, you could not go wrong with a ready made center/guard reserve who could start. It is a bit rich for a reserve, but his bust likelihood is very very low.

I would snatch him up in the 4th for certain.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What to Watch in the 2016 Senior Bowl

Written by Bryan Perez on January 30, 2016

The 2016 Reese’s Senior Bowl is set to kickoff today at 2:30 p.m. EST, and after a week of practices, rumors and hot takes, the following list is what I think you should be focusing on during the game. Keep in mind that this list is not all-inclusive. There are a lot of talented seniors participating in today’s game, many of which do not appear below. Take a look at our complete Senior Bowl coverage to get familiar with some of the other players who stood out this week and have a lot to gain today.

Will Carson Wentz deliver?

The North Dakota State quarterback was all the buzz in Mobile, looking every bit the part of a young franchise quarterback. From his size, arm, and overall presence on the field, Wentz made believers out of all those in attendance. He needs to put a ribbon on his week with a strong performance in the game. If he has a good game, the momentum toward the top-10 will be very hard to stop.

Indiana OT Jason Spriggs vs. Eastern Kentucky EDGE Noah Spence

Arguably the two best players all week, Spriggs and Spence will get to square off for the first time during the actual game. Spriggs proved worthy of early first-round consideration with his fusion of athleticism and power at the tackle position, while Spence was cat-like with his burst to the edge as a pass rusher. I’ll be watching to see if Spriggs can hold up against Spence’s speed and whether Spence will have a counter if his speed rush is cutoff.

Can Reggie Ragland cover Tyler Ervin?

While that may be an unfair expectation — I doubt any linebacker can stick with Ervin in pass protection — it will be important for Ragland to answer the critics (me included) who believe his athleticism left something to be desired during the week of practices. For the record, I believe Ragland will be a very physical and intimidating presence against the run, but I want to see him drop into coverage and prove he is capable for three-down duty in the NFL. If not, he better offer a lot as a pass rusher, which is another aspect of his game to keep an eye on today.

Braxton Miller vs. the pack

No offensive skill player stood out as much as Ohio State WR Braxton Miller during the week of practices, but the game provides one last chance to outshine him. SE Missouri’s Paul McRoberts finished really strong during the second and third days and looks like the one guy who could challenge Miller as a playmaker. Baylor’s Jay Lee is another wideout to watch, along with Georgia’s Malcolm Mitchell. Both pass catchers opened eyes this week and can insert their names into Day Two consideration with a big game. The Miller hype will also give the defensive backs a chance to shine, with talents like Cyrus Jones (Alabama) and Jalen Mills (LSU) looking like strong candidates to frustrate the Buckeye offensive weapon.

Vernon Butler vs. Cody Whitehair, Christian Westerman and Sebastian Tretola.

La Tech DL Vernon Butler is a big-butted dancing bear, displaying the kind of power to hold his ground along with sneaky quickness to penetrate the backfield. Whitehair, Tretola and Westerman all had some nice moments during practices, but Butler will be their biggest challenge so far. It’ll be fun to watch those guys duke it out in the trenches.

Will the second-best quarterback please stand up?

We all know by now that Wentz is the top quarterback in the game, but the race for who ranks next has not yet been settled. Jacob Coker had a surprisingly good week, but I want to see more velocity on his throws in live action. Dak Prescott did some nice things early in the week but seemed to taper off as the practices went on. Jeff Driskel has appealing traits but is maddeningly inconsistent, while Jacoby Brissett’s natural arm talent is overshadowed by his slow pace of play. Then there’s Brandon Allen, who in my opinion had the worst week of them all. That said, if he proves to be a gamer, the practice warts will clear up a bit.

Is Jonathan Williams back?

Williams was one of the higher-ranked running backs in the class over the summer months, but his injury in August caused him to miss the season. He was OK in practices, but I want to see if he looks like his legs are completely back under him. While he’s likely a Day Three guy, a big game today could cause him to leapfrog some of his peers.

Cole Toner and Willie Beavers in live action.

Harvard OT Cole Toner and Western Michigan OL Willie Beavers were two of the smaller school linemen who tried to prove their worth against the big boys with mixed results. Toner was surprisingly good, displaying enough functional strength and athletic ability to win as many reps as he lost. Beavers had a really rough week and was kicked inside in an effort to protect him from the clearly more athletic edge defenders. While neither player will be more than a mid-late Day Three prospect, I want to see if they rise to the occasion today.

Who is going to make a play in the secondary?

Defensive backs are usually noticed when they either give up or make a big play. Guys with a nose for the ball and on-field instincts usually find themselves on the positive side of that aisle, so I’d like to see if Darian Thompson (Boise State), Miles Killebrew (Southern Utah), or Jeremy Cash (Duke) establish themselves as ball-hawking backend defenders.

Which practice setting will prove to be successful?

The Cowboys ran the more intense and, to be honest, better practices to watch. Will it translate into a more prepared product today? We shall see.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, who's watching?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Guess the North didn't break the huddle well enough that first drive...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Is that Maryland's normal helmet? Holy fuck that thing is an eyesore.

dallen

Senior Tech
I've only just now realized that this means we have to watch Garrett's offense for another game

Cotton

Staff member
Less than 5 minutes into the game and we already have a penalty on a Red Raider OL. :budd

Cotton

Staff member
Sheldon Day is making Le'Raven Clark his bitch.

Top Bottom