boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bills hire Kathryn Smith, first full-time female coach

By Dan Hanzus
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Jan. 20, 2016 at 09:00 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 20, 2016 at 09:31 p.m.

The Buffalo Bills have become the second team to be on the right side of gender progress in the NFL.

Kathryn Smith was named the Bills' quality control-special teams coach on Wednesday, the team announced.

The move comes less than a year after the Arizona Cardinals hired Jen Welter to serve as a training-camp assistant coach. Smith's role is a full-time gig, the first for a woman in the NFL.

"Kathryn Smith has done an outstanding job in the seven years that she has worked with our staff," Bills coach Rex Ryan said in a statement released by the team. "She certainly deserves this promotion based on her knowledge and strong commitment, just to name a couple of her outstanding qualities, and I just know she's going to do a great job serving in the role of quality control-special teams.

"I consulted with Bruce Arians on this since he was really the first NFL head coach to make this kind of move when he hired a female linebackers coach through the summer. You can see the success some of these young ladies are having in the coaching profession, such as the young lady that is an assistant to Coach (Greg) Popovich at the San Antonio Spurs, and realize how exciting this is for women like Kathryn Smith as well as the Bills organization."

According to the team's website, Smith served as an administrative assistant under Ryan this past season. She held the same role with Ryan in his final season as Jets coach in 2014. She also worked as a player personnel assistant with the Jets for seven years.

Smith has her foot in the door and hopefully gets the opportunity to climb up the coaching ladder. If she does, she'll break ground each step of the way.
----------------

I bet Rex hopes she does. :unsure

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-foot-fetish-091015

dallen

Senior Tech
Good for them. Is it time for there to be a Rooney Mara Rule?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Smith has her foot in the door
----------------

I bet Rex hopes she does. :unsure
:lol

She'll be fine as long as she toes the company line.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Subway's looking for a new pitch man.

I know he's crazy about the footlongs.
Okay, we have now crossed that line. Everyone, back to work.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Absolutely a terrible idea. It would be nice to have a total boys club area here in America. Now let's go ahead and feminize one of the last protected domains that we have left. Lord, next we will have a woman HC. No NFL player would respect that. They don't have grit, experience, masculinity or an element of to be feared. There is no telling how much eye rolling will go on in that organization when the woman starts coaching and talking.

dallen

Senior Tech
Absolutely a terrible idea. It would be nice to have a total boys club area here in America. Now let's go ahead and feminize one of the last protected domains that we have left. Lord, next we will have a woman HC. No NFL player would respect that. They don't have grit, experience, masculinity or an element of to be feared. There is no telling how much eye rolling will go on in that organization when the woman starts coaching and talking.
Most of that could have been said 50 years ago about black coaches.

Come at me bro.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Most of that could have been said 50 years ago about black coaches.

Come at me bro.
I don't give two craps. One was a total injustice and the other is just plain rude. So no, I'm not willing or open the idea at all.

You're probably the type of guy who shows up to a dudes gathering with your wife. ~eye roll~ .... It's only fair, everyone...gaww

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't give two craps. One was a total injustice and the other is just plain rude. So no, I'm not willing or open the idea at all.

You're probably the type of guy who shows up to a dudes gathering with your wife. ~eye roll~ .... It's only fair, everyone...gaww
Jokes on you. I don't get invited in the first place! Ha!

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't see the need to have a total boys club and if you have power over jobs and playing time you will be feared.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't see the need to have a total boys club and if you have power over jobs and playing time you will be feared.

I honestly don't know what you are saying but I do not want women coaches. At all.

My wife's step-mom is the ultimate Obama loving feminist and she actually agreed with me. I was shocked because I can usually get under her skin really easily.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I honestly don't know what you are saying but I do not want women coaches. At all.

My wife's step-mom is the ultimate Obama loving feminist and she actually agreed with me. I was shocked because I can usually get under her skin really easily.
I don't know why that should matter to anybody but whatever.

This is my opinion nothing more nothing less, I have never felt the need to have an all boys anything.

I have some very good female friends that I would hang with anytime any place.

I am not saying any woman should be welcomed any place but I am not going to exclude them just because of gender.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What about the locker room rules with female coaches?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't know why that should matter to anybody but whatever.

This is my opinion nothing more nothing less, I have never felt the need to have an all boys anything.

I have some very good female friends that I would hang with anytime any place.

I am not saying any woman should be welcomed any place but I am not going to exclude them just because of gender.
You're suck an dork. What do you mean why should that matter? I'm sharing my personal experience with a feminist. If that doesn't add too the conversation or tickle your fancy why even comment?

Anyhoo, there is always that guy that gets invited to a guys get together and asks if he can bring his clingy wife. That's what having a woman coach feels like to me. I can't stop it from happening and don't plan to rally any troops to boycott. I'm just sharing my distaste for it.

Everything in the world doesn't need to be feminized to be fair.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
What about the locker room rules with female coaches?
That's one of many things that come to my mind.

Where I come from we are taught to conduct ourselves a certain way around women. A great majority of these players are from the south and probably agree.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think the main thing that bugs me is she basically leapfrogs 99% of the coaches in football, jumping right into the NFL without any experience as a player or coach at any level of the game.

Becky Hammond with the Spurs at least played college and pro basketball at a high level (even against lesser competition). At least players can respect her knowledge of fundamental basketball.

Top Bottom