2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I will bequeath Mike Stoops to TTU. Deal?
I wonder if it is time for Bob Stoops to go. He has some skins on the wall but he has been finding a way to lose some games every year. It seems like we keep hearing darkhorse rumors every year only to be disappointed.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see OU go on a winning streak. It is like he does enough to stay around but not enough to be excited.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if it is time for Bob Stoops to go. He has some skins on the wall but he has been finding a way to lose some games every year. It seems like we keep hearing darkhorse rumors every year only to be disappointed.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see OU go on a winning streak. It is like he does enough to stay around but not enough to be excited.
It's sort of like Kirk Ferentz. Just as you start to hear rumblings about the fans turning on him he puts together a strong year. For example if Iowa would have gotten off to a sluggish start this year there would have been a lot of fire Ferentz talk.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

It seems every time OU is poised to make a break through they crater horribly. This year they broke into the top 10 and immediately headed straight for the toilet with the Texas game. It's an annual event. At the brightest potential point for greatness the wheels come off. I am not ready to lynch Bob Stoops but I wish he would be more objective about his staffs shortcomings.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It's sort of like Kirk Ferentz. Just as you start to hear rumblings about the fans turning on him he puts together a strong year. For example if Iowa would have gotten off to a sluggish start this year there would have been a lot of fire Ferentz talk.
Yup. Pretty much exactly the same situation. Both have done good things and have good moments but your just not sure if they are as all-in as they once were. At least thats the feel I get.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I couldn't disagreeing more on Gibbs. Gibbs is the king of turnovers. At UH he turned that program around from terrible to leading the country in turnovers. They were fantastic in that area.

This season he has improved TTU from dead last to 45 in turnover margin. We've likely already played our toughest games and I see us improving.

Our problem has been the same for years:

1. lack of talent
2. lack of depth
3. lack of size
4. terrible gap control/discipline
5. failure, panic, chaos - rinse and repeat

I see a team that is playing really hard. There is less panic when things break down, They stay focused and keep chipping away. For now I wouldn't attempt to draw up all sorts of blitzes. I do not believe that is the answer with these midgets. We are playing children in the secondary.

we need

1. Don't panic
2. confidence
3. experience
4. defensive linemen depth (currently have 7 committed but the solution is long-term)
5. a coordinator that will stay for multiple seasons. can't build a defense with new guy for 7 seasons in a row...let that sink in...
6. Size

If we don't have depth and our DL gets pushed 5 yards back while our LBers get ran over by a RB that weighs more than them you have to find a way to get them to hustle and believe in themselves. That's not a one season process.
Not sure what you disagree with. I didn't say I didn't think Gibbs could create turnovers. I just said I hoped he could.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Not sure what you disagree with. I didn't say I didn't think Gibbs could create turnovers. I just said I hoped he could.
That he should draw up a bunch of blitzes. Terrible idea IMO. How'd ya miss that part?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm just saying I'm not trying to throw Gibbs under the bus. I have a lot of hope for the guy.
I didn't think you were.

I think his plan is a good one. Just stabilize the dang thing. Yards are going to be had in this league. We're
giving up absurd amounts of yards right now but getting a few stops and getting turnovers. I wish the bar was higher but we have sucked for so long.

Imo we aren't built for a bunch of blitzes.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I didn't think you were.

I think his plan is a good one. Just stabilize the dang thing. Yards are going to be had in this league. We're
giving up absurd amounts of yards right now but getting a few stops and getting turnovers. I wish the bar was higher but we have sucked for so long.

Imo we aren't built for a bunch of blitzes.
Yeah, my defensive philosophy is that the ideal defense is a zone blitzing nightmare but I recognize you need the talent to make more out of it than a Zimmer Conga Line Blitz. You need the talent to be there to be aggressive.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah, my defensive philosophy is that the ideal defense is a zone blitzing nightmare but I recognize you need the talent to make more out of it than a Zimmer Conga Line Blitz. You need the talent to be there to be aggressive.

I don't disagree with the idea but I just think it's the wrong timing and situation.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Way too many good games stacked into the 3:30 time slot. Why did they do this to us. Why?!?!?!?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Way too many good games stacked into the 3:30 time slot. Why did they do this to us. Why?!?!?!?
For now you can just watch Patrick Mahomes pimp out on FS1.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It seems every time OU is poised to make a break through they crater horribly. This year they broke into the top 10 and immediately headed straight for the toilet with the Texas game. It's an annual event. At the brightest potential point for greatness the wheels come off. I am not ready to lynch Bob Stoops but I wish he would be more objective about his staffs shortcomings.
I'll be interested in seeing how the the team finishes out the year. Last year the team got progressively worse as the season went on. It looked like the team quit in a couple of the games, particularly the bowl game against Clemson.

If the team struggles down the stretch yet again, I think we could finally see the AD's confidence in Stoops finally waver.

Cotton

Staff member
vs. Kansas? meh

The Red Raiders starters should be on the bench before the start of the 4th quarter.
You will watch and you will do this next, 1bigpickering!

Cotton

Staff member
Gawd, our tackling is atrocious.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
WRs aren't really getting open, guards aren't getting a push, Mahomes just a tad off with the long ball. Missed a few passes.

I mean we will win no problem but they seems sluggish. The crowd is like UCF size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom