Archer: Byron Jones holds up well vs. Rob Gronkowski

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Byron Jones holds up well vs. Rob Gronkowski

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Byron Jones was not given an easy task on Sunday: defend New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. Oh, and with little help.

In the Patriots’ first three games, Gronkowski caught four touchdown passes and had at least 94 receiving yards.

Against the Cowboys, shadowed mostly by Jones (first-round pick), Gronkowski had four catches for 67 yards.

“He competed with him,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He challenged him.”

The Patriots moved Gronkowski around, playing him on the line, tucked tight to the line of scrimmage, in the slot and out wide. Wherever he went, Jones mostly followed.

In the first half, Gronkowski had just one catch for 6 yards on a slant. On the second play of the second half, Tom Brady hit Gronkowski, who lined up wide, on a back-shoulder throw that picked up 33 yards.

“I was playing aggressive over the top most of the game so that was a good adjustment,” Jones said.

Gronkowski gave Jones a nudge before the pass arrived.

“It’s tough,” Jones said. “[You have to] get your eyes back so you can play the ball. … You may not make a play on the ball but you may hit his hands or something like that and try to off-balance the receiver.”

At 6-6, 265 pounds, it’s difficult for a 205-pound defensive back to get Gronkowski off balance. Later on during the opening drive of the second half, Brady hit Gronkowski on a slant for 16 yards with Jones riding him down the field.

“He did have some receptions later on in the game that were big, but we put him out there and gave him a chance to cover him,” Garrett said. “I think he did a pretty good job.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Unfortunately our own offense's ineptitude made Jones' work pointless.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jones was great, one of those catches was just a blatant pick play, so I can't blame Jones for not stopping Gronk on a slant while getting picked, and the big gainer was a back shoulder throw, an extremely difficult play to stop when you're in man coverage.

Yesterday confirms that Jones will be a player for us one way or another, I'm still not sure what his exact position is because they're basically playing him as a S/CB/nickel and dime LB hybrid, but he will be an effective player for us.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Jones was great, one of those catches was just a blatant pick play, so I can't blame Jones for not stopping Gronk on a slant while getting picked, and the big gainer was a back shoulder throw, an extremely difficult play to stop when you're in man coverage.

Yesterday confirms that Jones will be a player for us one way or another, I'm still not sure what his exact position is because they're basically playing him as a S/CB/nickel and dime LB hybrid, but he will be an effective player for us.
I think his current role works well with the proliferation of receiving TEs in the NFL. He can shadow good receiving TEs and play some S in the base defense. I'd rather see him in there than Church at this point.

Cotton

Staff member
the big gainer was a back shoulder throw, an extremely difficult play to stop when you're in man coverage.
And even on that play he had good coverage.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Grink's furst catch was a blatant push off too, but the rookie is never gonna get that call over an All-Pro.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jones was great, one of those catches was just a blatant pick play
The Pats relentlessly pick because their WR talent is so average they have little other choice.

At least they try to stretch boundaries, and when they get called for it they just ignore it and keep doing it. We seem to just keep running guys out into patterns and no one gets open.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

There really isn't much more he could have done there. It was a great throw and catch.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Pats relentlessly pick because their WR talent is so average they have little other choice.

At least they try to stretch boundaries, and when they get called for it they just ignore it and keep doing it. We seem to just keep running guys out into patterns and no one gets open.
It's like what the Seahawks have done for awhile on defense. Grab, hold and be physical beyond what the rules allow. The refs just won't call it on every play and you'll get away with it more often then not. Eventually the refs just seem to never call it against them. Of course then when their corners go to other teams, they get flagged for it all the time or they suck.

I have noticed that teams in the NFL are running way more pick plays then I have ever seen before in general. It seems like it all started with the Broncos and Manning.

Cotton

Staff member
There really isn't much more he could have done there. It was a great throw and catch.
Yep, he had great coverage on that play.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jones seems to be an awesome pick, as do the other two first rounders.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jones seems to be an awesome pick, as do the other two first rounders.
Gotta tap the brakes a bit on Gregory. Dude hasn't generated a single defensive statistic yet and his ankle buckled in the first game he engaged the enemy at full speed.

Collins has looked good, though, and I see no reason to not play him as much as possible. Kid seems determined to get to the second level.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Gotta tap the brakes a bit on Gregory. Dude hasn't generated a single defensive statistic yet and his ankle buckled in the first game he engaged the enemy at full speed.

Collins has looked good, though, and I see no reason to not play him as much as possible. Kid seems determined to get to the second level.
I'm usually a tap the brakes guy, but I don't think there's any question he was our best pass rusher in his first professional game. Granted it was without Hardy but it bodes well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm usually a tap the brakes guy, but I don't think there's any question he was our best pass rusher in his first professional game. Granted it was without Hardy but it bodes well.
The talent is obvious. Anyone who saw him play in the preseason and in the Giants game can see that. The only argument to be made at this point is that maybe he is Sean Lee and can't stay healthy. I don't think that's the case but that's probably the only real argument.

dallen

Senior Tech
The talent is obvious. Anyone who saw him play in the preseason and in the Giants game can see that. The only argument to be made at this point is that maybe he is Sean Lee and can't stay healthy. I don't think that's the case but that's probably the only real argument.
Maybe or maybe the league figures out his tendencies. I like what I've seen, but he's got the most questions left to answer of the three.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe or maybe the league figures out his tendencies. I like what I've seen, but he's got the most questions left to answer of the three.
No offense, but being more athletic then the guy accross from you isn't a tendancy. There isn't anything to figure out about Gregory's game. He is a tremendous athlete with very good functional strength. You cheat to stop his speed and he has a great inside move. You don't cheat to stop his speed and he beats you around the corner. Your argument would have been way better if you just said the compitition he faced may be subpar.

dallen

Senior Tech
No offense, but being more athletic then the guy accross from you isn't a tendancy. There isn't anything to figure out about Gregory's game. He is a tremendous athlete with very good functional strength. You cheat to stop his speed and he has a great inside move. You don't cheat to stop his speed and he beats you around the corner. Your argument would have been way better if you just said the compitition he faced may be subpar.
There are plenty of superior athletes that fail every year

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Gregory was dominant in the preseason and clearly carried that over into the Giants game. I would say the only question mark on him right now is health and/or whether or not he can physically hold up to playing as a full-time DE who can maintain his pass rush ability while also holding up against the run.

Worst case scenario, if the guy stays healthy, he is an elite edge rusher that can give you double digit sacks but you want to keep him in a rotation so he doesn't get worn down.

dallen

Senior Tech
Yeah, because their athleticism doesn't translate onto the field. What we have seen out of Gregory is that his does.
One game against a rookie LT is not much to base an opinion on

Top Bottom