Schefter: Dallas could take another look at Manziel

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas could take another look at Manziel

21m - NFL, Dallas Cowboys

Adam Schefter, ESPN Senior Writer

One of the highest-profile teams in sports, the Dallas Cowboys, and one of football's highest-profile players, Johnny Manziel, both face significant questions about their futures. Don't be shocked if those futures somehow find a way to intersect.

The Cowboys must begin to ponder quarterback life after Tony Romo, who now has had three separate fractures of his left clavicle and two back surgeries and will be 36 years old at the start of the 2016 season. Dallas is in position for a top-five draft pick for the first time since 2003, when it took cornerback Terence Newman. Last offseason, Dallas spent more than usual studying quarterbacks, working out Bryce Petty, Garrett Grayson and Sean Mannion. The Cowboys figure to take an even closer look at more quarterbacks this spring. They haven't drafted a QB since they selected Stephen McGee in 2009.

Cleveland could decide to part ways with Manziel -- given the option to start him, the Browns instead chose Austin Davis this week -- and it's easy enough to draw up a short list of teams that could have some level of interest, according to people around the league.

It could include the Rams, who considered using their 2014 first-round pick on Manziel before opting for standout defensive tackle Aaron Donald instead; the 49ers, who have no viable short- or long-term solution at quarterback; and the Cowboys, a team in which owner Jerry Jones clearly debated drafting Manziel before he opted for sturdy offensive lineman Zack Martin.

Dallas made the right call then, but it could have another chance here on Manziel following a season in which Dallas has struggled to line up a reliable starter or dependable backup. With Romo's durability in question, some around the league believe Jones could again have interest in Manziel. It would be very Jerry-like, too, for him to make a play for Manziel this winter.

Each offseason the Cowboys can be counted on to make some sort of splash. Last offseason they added controversial defensive end Greg Hardy. This offseason could be about Manziel.

The Cowboys and Browns are drawn together by another factor: They are two teams projected to have top picks in the next draft that will have questions at the quarterback position. Dallas has an aging starter and a questionable depth chart; Cleveland could be back to square one. And they could be drafting near each other.

As a changeup to other years, some of the teams likely to pick near the top of the draft already have drafted or paid franchise quarterbacks. The Chargers are not likely to draft a quarterback. Nor are the Titans or Lions. It leaves teams that figure to be near the top of the draft such as the Cowboys and Browns in a prime position to solidify the quarterback slot for years to come if they so choose.

There has already been plenty of talk about the Cowboys and Manziel. This offseason there could be even more.
----------

This is why Schefter is paid the big bucks. Nobody could speculate this happening.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What is this based on? Schefter's gut feeling after taking a shit?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And in other news, water was determined to be wet.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
time for Jerry to play Father Flanagan again

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Please please please please no.

townsend

Banned
I'm into it. He doesn't have the Cleveland stench of failure yet. Of course he'll probably be Drew Henson by the time Wade gets through with him.

shane

DCC 4Life
If we can't get Stafford in the next couple years, Manziel might be a good second place to be Romo's successor :towel

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Boy, this is some wild journalistic speculation here. :rolleyes :jerk. The only thing that would make it even more possible is if JF had played for frigging Arkansas. Of course, if he had played for Arkansas, Stephen would have had to knock Jerrah out with some of the real good shat to keep from drafting him.

Man, I don't know what's going to be more excruciating, the last five games of the season or the first few months of the offseason. (Prepared to eat my words if the football gods dial up an honest to God footbal miracle)

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If we can't get Stafford in the next couple years, Manziel might be a good second place to be Romo's successor :towel
I almost rather give a cheaper Manziel a shot than throwaway millions on Stafford after the Lions are done with him.

dallen

Senior Tech
Does anyone other than ESPN actually give a shit about Manziel any more? The dude's just another 1st round bust it. We generally only sign head cases that are actually good at their jobs

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I almost rather give a cheaper Manziel a shot than throwaway millions on Stafford after the Lions are done with him.
Hell and no.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Please...if there is a god, he will make him a Cowboy.

I seem to have wet myself.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
if he is cheap why the hell not? Now if we throw a 2nd or even a 3rd at him ill be angry, but if we can grab him on the cheap or if the browns straight up cut him - worth a shot

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When did Manziel ever demonstrate he's better than Cassel? Makes no sense other than Jerry marketing this turd.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
When did Manziel ever demonstrate he's better than Cassel? Makes no sense other than Jerry marketing this turd.
Manziel hasn't had much chance to demonstrate anything after being drafted by a dumpster fire franchise.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep. All of his razzle dazzle is from his college performances. He just hasn't translated to the professional ranks yet. I don't know if he will but he isn't at any status to pay much for. Cheap might be worth a shot.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Manziel did throw for 373 yards in his last start...that translated pretty well to the professional ranks.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Manziel did throw for 373 yards in his last start...that translated pretty well to the professional ranks.
True but that is one example. His total work doesn't translate to a great future so far. I hope he does make it in the pros. I just don't think he merits paying big bucks for yet.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
True but that is one example. His total work doesn't translate to a great future so far. I hope he does make it in the pros. I just don't think he merits paying big bucks for yet.
I think there's a chance that if he's willing to accept it, sitting behind Romo and having a Dez-like "support structure" (army of babysitters) could work out for him. IMO, he has the raw talent and a lot of good instincts, he just needs to learn a pro-style offense.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Top Bottom